what a night I am venting double time....

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sheesh, people are getting to be really awful.
So, did you kick them out? They certainly deserved to be..
No I didn't shame on me. I should of listen to my gut. The next day at night I came down and low and behold there she had done more laundry and hung it up out of sight for the most part. Few things out side draped over the metal chairs I seeing that thought I was ok not happy but a least it was not hanging on furniture or over deep carpeting. But when they left I was in the walk in closet to get the house coats and darn it any way she hung them up in the closet as the rug was wet not soaking but wet. I was angry at myself for not throwing them out the first time. I guess I go back to being a witch!!!
The other couple left today man they were a hungry three. I never gone through so many eggs and bacon in 16 years. But the bottom line was when I went to strip beds low and behold the young man had used some kind of stuff that stripped the colour out of the pillow cases, GRRR
So now I am writing the travel agency and telling them all. I hope they will give me the email addy so I can write them and ask for full payment for the new sheets they are going to buy. I hope they enjoy our grey sheets with light pink blotches all over the pillow case. Man what a mess I am sending the travel agency the pictures. And telling them how he showed up with elder son in tote.
Yes he did pay me an extra 50 for staying here but his new sheets that he will own will cost him far more. The brat ( son or father) did not even say any thing when they were leaving. That made me rather hot under the collar. Not a word not even sorry . So for that he is being charged for a new set of sheets. I hope he enjoys our old ones . blotches and all.
Did you get a deposit?
Also, makes me rethink not allowing people to do laundry (for a cost). Most hotels have laundry room and if not providing one, they might do what you experienced.

No I didn't shame on me. I should of listen to my gut. The next day at night I came down and low and behold there she had done more laundry and hung it up out of sight for the most part. Few things out side draped over the metal chairs I seeing that thought I was ok not happy but a least it was not hanging on furniture or over deep carpeting. But when they left I was in the walk in closet to get the house coats and darn it any way she hung them up in the closet as the rug was wet not soaking but wet. I was angry at myself for not throwing them out the first time. I guess I go back to being a witch!!!
The other couple left today man they were a hungry three. I never gone through so many eggs and bacon in 16 years. But the bottom line was when I went to strip beds low and behold the young man had used some kind of stuff that stripped the colour out of the pillow cases, GRRR
So now I am writing the travel agency and telling them all. I hope they will give me the email addy so I can write them and ask for full payment for the new sheets they are going to buy. I hope they enjoy our grey sheets with light pink blotches all over the pillow case. Man what a mess I am sending the travel agency the pictures. And telling them how he showed up with elder son in tote.
Yes he did pay me an extra 50 for staying here but his new sheets that he will own will cost him far more. The brat ( son or father) did not even say any thing when they were leaving. That made me rather hot under the collar. Not a word not even sorry . So for that he is being charged for a new set of sheets. I hope he enjoys our old ones . blotches and all.
The bicycle promotion club wants me to join their club and advertise to cyclists... oh and pay them a fee. I always turn them down. I'm full in the summer, so they don't help me at all, they eat more for breakfast, so they cost more and they do laundry in the room, so they cost me to clean up after. And of course they want a free place to put their bicycle.
Incidentally, we learnt never to ask if they want more when making omelets. It's one per person. I'm not there to fill them for the day... I provide one meal of 3, not one meal of 2 or 1.

Did you get a deposit?
Also, makes me rethink not allowing people to do laundry (for a cost). Most hotels have laundry room and if not providing one, they might do what you experienced.
We run the laundry gamut in town. One inn will do it for you, one will let you use their machine, others say no. Think about your day doing laundry. You have 10 sets of sheets, 20 sets of towels, napkins, tablecloths, etc. If you do laundry in-house there is no time to let a guest's laundry in, even if you do it yourself. I'd be washing guest laundry at midnight and disturbing the sleep of the other guests with the machines running.
One inn had guests figure out where the laundry room was and the guest went in, dumped the inn laundry out of the machine and used it for themselves.
We used to have a cute sign on the door until someone said they thought the 'laundry room' sign meant it was for them to use. The door now says 'No Admittance'. Because the inn laundry room is where I have to clean my own laundry I don't have space for guests to be in there or breaking my machine because they don't know how to use it. Or washing a single item but taking up an hour's laundry time.

The bicycle promotion club wants me to join their club and advertise to cyclists... oh and pay them a fee. I always turn them down. I'm full in the summer, so they don't help me at all, they eat more for breakfast, so they cost more and they do laundry in the room, so they cost me to clean up after. And of course they want a free place to put their bicycle.
Incidentally, we learnt never to ask if they want more when making omelets. It's one per person. I'm not there to fill them for the day... I provide one meal of 3, not one meal of 2 or 1.
I've found the thru bikers are looking more for a hostel-type place with rates around $75.

Did you get a deposit?
We run the laundry gamut in town. One inn will do it for you, one will let you use their machine, others say no. Think about your day doing laundry. You have 10 sets of sheets, 20 sets of towels, napkins, tablecloths, etc. If you do laundry in-house there is no time to let a guest's laundry in, even if you do it yourself. I'd be washing guest laundry at midnight and disturbing the sleep of the other guests with the machines running.
One inn had guests figure out where the laundry room was and the guest went in, dumped the inn laundry out of the machine and used it for themselves.
We used to have a cute sign on the door until someone said they thought the 'laundry room' sign meant it was for them to use. The door now says 'No Admittance'. Because the inn laundry room is where I have to clean my own laundry I don't have space for guests to be in there or breaking my machine because they don't know how to use it. Or washing a single item but taking up an hour's laundry time.
We do it (extra charge) for guests. Sometimes they give us so little that we put it in a laundry washing bag and throw it in with ours.

Did you get a deposit?
I think doing your own INN laundry or not makes the difference - we use a hire service ie all sheets belong to them and they pick up and drop off all clean and done
Therefore we only have our own domestic laundry to wash and dry and table cloths from the breakfast room which is about a load a day - so its easy to pop in a guest load here and there.

Did you get a deposit?
We do it (extra charge) for guests. Sometimes they give us so little that we put it in a laundry washing bag and throw it in with ours.
That is what I was thinking. I certainly do not intend to encourage people to start having me do their laundry for free. I was thinking something like $10 for a (very) small load. Our time has value; this is not a charity. The intent is to discourage damaging the room, not get into the laundry service business.
My mantra is always to never let any activity cost you money: advertising, "charity", guest service, extra guests, damage, etc. I rarely agree with folks here who will overlook significant damage or theft or other losses. It is no wonder some complain that their inn is not profitable. Most everyone out there is looking to get whatever they can for free.
I have had several businesses. If you do everything right, you may get 5-10% profit. That disappears when you let clients, vendors or customers get away with theft or other damage or do not have sophisticated tracking and tax functions to get all the deductions. etc.

Did you get a deposit?
I think doing your own INN laundry or not makes the difference - we use a hire service ie all sheets belong to them and they pick up and drop off all clean and done
Therefore we only have our own domestic laundry to wash and dry and table cloths from the breakfast room which is about a load a day - so its easy to pop in a guest load here and there.
Joey Camb said:
I was going to do that this year and never got around to it. Next year.

Did you get a deposit?
Us too. $10 per load, wash and fold. Few takers but those who do are entirely happy

I've found the thru bikers are looking more for a hostel-type place with rates around $75.
Morticia said:
thumbs_up.gif

Did you get a deposit?
Us too. $10 per load, wash and fold. Few takers but those who do are entirely happy
We let our guests know where the coin laundromat is located. Period.
wink_smile.gif

Did you get a deposit?
wink_smile.gif

Silverspoon said:
wink_smile.gif
Luckily, we have one across the street. Still, guests will ask to use ours. It's just a few things. Don't want to sit in the laundromat on vacation. Etc.

Did you get a deposit?
wink_smile.gif

Silverspoon said:
wink_smile.gif
Luckily, we have one across the street. Still, guests will ask to use ours. It's just a few things. Don't want to sit in the laundromat on vacation. Etc.
Put a price on it. Put in a mesh bag, dump it in with your load.

Baby Puss said:
Yes, the dreaded bicycle clubs. Same here, in summer, I don't need the extra work and aggravation. Come during the shoulder seasons, but never ask me for discounts. Those that do, make the most work for us.
We have a laundry service. I could not possibly do anything besides my own household's washing. I am not a workhorse

Baby Puss said:
Yes, the dreaded bicycle clubs. Same here, in summer, I don't need the extra work and aggravation. Come during the shoulder seasons, but never ask me for discounts. Those that do, make the most work for us.
We have a laundry service. I could not possibly do anything besides my own household's washing. I am not a workhorse
See, no one is ever coming up with reasons to come during the shoulder season or the low season. They just want credit for filling your rooms during the high season.
I do that great myself. Go fly a kite. Come back when you can fill my rooms in the winter.

We have a coin-operated washer and dryer for guests to use; all we have to do is exchange quarters for their dollars....

Did you get a deposit?
See I think there was the problem Lays . They think we are a motel or a hotel with a different name B&B for them must mean the same. I traveled in Europe a lot there was never a place to do laundry in their homes.
I just have a young couple in and they did not come in till after 10 45. I think they feel we are on call 24 /7 we have a person on the desk just waiting to serve them. GESH!
She called to let us know she might be late. I told her please don't be later then 9 as it disturbs others. Asked her if she had made res for the Ferry. She said yes 330 . Oh I said then you would be here shortly after 7 Then dummy said what terminal would be best . daa I knew then she had no res for the ferry. Then phoned about 420 and said she was on the ferry now! then from ferry must drive 4 to 5 hours to our place . I said she would be luck if she made it by 11. Man at that point I was brain dead. Dh took them to their suite settled them down and off to bed we went.

I know what you mean.
I advertise one hour from the airport. But people forget that they have to disembark, get their luggage, get the rental and then get their bearings. It's a one hour drive to my place but it can be challenging even in the daylight.
Plus, you've got to be up early for breakfast the next morning. I state that I don't want checkins after 9:00 pm, they'd be better suited to stay in St. John's but people just ignore it. What the hey!

Back