What do you do? What works--blogging.

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Coming clean - I have a blog, I seem to write a few then get stuck about what to write about. - I can talk someone's ears off but putting it to pen/paper online blogging just makes me freeze.
BUT - Speaking with 2 couples this am, my blog is THE main reason they are staying with us for 5 nights. It pays off people, it pays off even when you don't write every day, week or month!
Another note: in a recent webinar the speaker stated that it is important to write between 500-700 words per post as it seems this is what Google deems to be worthwhile searching..
Copperhead said:
Another note: in a recent webinar the speaker stated that it is important to write between 500-700 words per post as it seems this is what Google deems to be worthwhile searching.
My seo plug in on WP dings me if the word count is under 300.
Without a plan, I think it is probably very difficult for most people to write a 'book report' every day/week/month.
I follow a daily blog that has been in existence for 10 YEARS. He doesn't write long posts everyday, but they are mostly engaging. But the thought of 3000+ blog posts boggles my mind.

Coming clean - I have a blog, I seem to write a few then get stuck about what to write about. - I can talk someone's ears off but putting it to pen/paper online blogging just makes me freeze.
BUT - Speaking with 2 couples this am, my blog is THE main reason they are staying with us for 5 nights. It pays off people, it pays off even when you don't write every day, week or month!
Another note: in a recent webinar the speaker stated that it is important to write between 500-700 words per post as it seems this is what Google deems to be worthwhile searching..
CH - yesterday I had a hit on MY web site from YOUR blog. The one you did about the road trippers. I did a copy paste of your pertinent paragraph and sent it to our Development Authority members about getting the word out about our City and how far away it comes from. The Mayor actually sent me a reply thanking me for what I do. Almost fell off my chair.
The power of the blog.............

CH - yesterday I had a hit on MY web site from YOUR blog. The one you did about the road trippers. I did a copy paste of your pertinent paragraph and sent it to our Development Authority members about getting the word out about our City and how far away it comes from. The Mayor actually sent me a reply thanking me for what I do. Almost fell off my chair.
thumbs_up.gif

I'm inspired! Hear me roar!
(Soon)

Was your website created with WP? If so, it's built in.
If not, I still find Google's blogger to be much easier to use. Plus, you can put huge photos on there and it doesn't slow it down.
Blogger has been around long enough that tons of really sharp formats exist to make the page look how you want.
There are really easy tutorials you can watch that explain how to do each step.
Blogging isn't hard, it just takes time.
If you regularly schedule things to do, schedule blogging. Start off with once/week.
Blog about stuff your guests always ask about.
  • What do you serve for breakfast?
  • Where can we go to see...?
  • Where can we hike, bike, kayak?
I agree with Morticia, blogging isn't hard, it just takes time. It's good to have at least 250 words, have a couple of pictures, and two or three links. Once the blog is up, you need to post a link to it on all your social media accounts.
From an SEO stand point, it's good to have new content every month that Google can crawl.
whitefoxkyle said:
Once the blog is up, you need to post a link to it on all your social media accounts.
Seems like I remember hearing that Google doesn't like it if you post the same text several places. They reward you for making a few changes each place you post it.
But does Google even look at Twitter and Facebook? If you put the same blog link and info about the blog post on Twitter, FB, and Google+, does Google even care?
Just a link, tho? That's like saying you can't cross link to other pages on your own website.
Sure, not the entire content, but just a link.
Morticia said:
Sure, not the entire content, but just a link.
On FB, Twitter and G+ I generally put a line above the link, saying something like "Click below and read the latest post on the MyInn Blog, about the new...whatever the blog post is about."
But yes, just putting the link brings up the article title, a photo and a snippet of text, so really don't need more than the link.

If not, I still find Google's blogger to be much easier to use. Plus, you can put huge photos on there and it doesn't slow it down.
Blogger has been around long enough that tons of really sharp formats exist to make the page look how you want.
If you regularly schedule things to do, schedule blogging. Start off with once/week.
I agree with Morticia, blogging isn't hard, it just takes time. It's good to have at least 250 words, have a couple of pictures, and two or three links. Once the blog is up, you need to post a link to it on all your social media accounts.
From an SEO stand point, it's good to have new content every month that Google can crawl.
whitefoxkyle said:
Once the blog is up, you need to post a link to it on all your social media accounts.
Seems like I remember hearing that Google doesn't like it if you post the same text several places. They reward you for making a few changes each place you post it.
But does Google even look at Twitter and Facebook? If you put the same blog link and info about the blog post on Twitter, FB, and Google+, does Google even care?
If a tree falls in the forest, does Google hear it?
happykeeper said:
no but they see it.
i laugh as one of us was caught on google street view and another had her place caught and the fall decor - a scarecrow - face blurred so there would be no recognition.
shades_smile.gif

Joey Bloggs said:
...street view...caught the fall decor - a scarecrow - face blurred so there would be no recognition.
shades_smile.gif
First out-loud laugh I've had in 2 weeks! Thanks!

whitefoxkyle said:
happykeeper said:
no but they see it.
i laugh as one of us was caught on google street view and another had her place caught and the fall decor - a scarecrow - face blurred so there would be no recognition.
shades_smile.gif

Joey Bloggs said:
...street view...caught the fall decor - a scarecrow - face blurred so there would be no recognition.
shades_smile.gif
Arks said:
Joey Bloggs said:
shades_smile.gif
They also got some of the pumpkins blurred out
scarecrow.jpg

whitefoxkyle said:
happykeeper said:
no but they see it.
shades_smile.gif

Joey Bloggs said:
shades_smile.gif
Arks said:
Joey Bloggs said:
shades_smile.gif
scarecrow.jpg

Innkeep said:
Arks said:
Joey Bloggs said:
shades_smile.gif
scarecrow.jpg
Getting them to sign model releases is just too tough!

Really! That's cool. Hope they come and stay with you K!
shades_smile.gif

Copperhead said:
Another note: in a recent webinar the speaker stated that it is important to write between 500-700 words per post as it seems this is what Google deems to be worthwhile searching.
What you wrote is 108 words 570 characters http://www.wordcounter.net/
So it isn't difficult to reach 250-500 words, or even 700. if you put the B&B info on there, and where to reserve online you can hit the mark easily enough.
I am so glad to hear that Copperhead. I think what you write makes you one in a million in your touristy area. It really does stand out. :) Don't over-think your blog articles, make them just like you are speaking to someone, that is your voice CH.
After meeting you I could easily see "your voice" as a down-home, welcoming, shining star of hospitality! Stick that on your blog, that is what people can feel about you from your words and what they will have staying there.
heart.gif
That is the "casual" I speak of, and there ya have it some great examples right in front of me! Casual - as I said, not lackadaisical and yard sale - I never said that was casual. Casual meaning ...
HEY! I googled 'define casual' and it said "INN!" :
ca·su·al
ˈkaZHo͞oəl/Submit
adjective
relaxed and unconcerned.
"she regarded his affairs with a casual indulgence"
synonyms: relaxed, friendly, informal, unceremonious, easygoing, free and easy; informal laid-back
"the inn's casual atmosphere"
embaressed_smile.gif

Really! That's cool. Hope they come and stay with you K!
shades_smile.gif

Me too - but it was worth it to send your paragraph to those I sent it to even if they don't. I appreciate the link.

Back