What do you expect from a family business?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
we mainly shop small but the super market we use is a chain - however they profit share with all their employees so they have a personal stake - also do their own range which a percentage of every sale goes to help farmers get a fair deal (UK and Abroad) and support them when there is flooding etc as well as helping with training. Fair price for milk is a really big deal right now and we deal direct with the farmer for eggs, milk and organic butter and they deliver. Local butcher, can't find a local baker who does what we want but its always something we have our eye out for.

Your replies are in the range that I expected them to be. It all corresponds to most of the views I have seen in one very nice article on this topic, using "family business" in your marketing.
Do you people actually write "family business" on your websites, or is that understood from the context?.
We have a page on our website devoted to our history as a family business, and we have a quote from a guest on our homepage that implies family business (and that long history, too).

Your replies are in the range that I expected them to be. It all corresponds to most of the views I have seen in one very nice article on this topic, using "family business" in your marketing.
Do you people actually write "family business" on your websites, or is that understood from the context?.
I don't say we're a family owned business, I'd take it as given that no big business would own a tiny B&B.
I've seen a fair number of different businesses using 'family-owned' not so much as a plus for shopping there but to imply something underhanded about the 'other' business down the street.

think also it depends on if they support you back ie we have a local print shop which is very close to a venue i am on the charity committee that looks after it and the owner is councilor for that area also - asked them to quote for our posters - quote came back twice the next quote now I would expect under that circumstance which was printing a pdf onto B2 he would have done it at cost - not a bit of it. ALso invited him 5 years to our annual majour fund raiser which is on a non council day and when his shop is shut - never once even showed his face or even sent an apologies card or similar - so sorry this man will not be getting either the charity or my business.

dumitru said:
Do you people actually write "family business" on your websites, or is that understood from the context?
Yes we people do, constantly.

I have an About Us on the web site menu. My B & B is not "family" owned. WE live here but it is MY business. I started to put his name on the business when I opened as an ego-booster/inclusive thing but Himself said no, it is YOUR business, you will be doing the work. So he was not put on it. Worked in our favor a few years later when if he had been listed as an owner it would have caused ineligibility for something we needed. We are family operated - he is still the unpaid dish washer, for a while yet.

I would rather go for the bigger names as they are more reliable and you wont have a hard time demanding on what you need.

Back