What does 'homemade' mean to you?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In my lexicon, made from scratch is the highest art form. On the other hand, anything that's been in my oven I pass off as home made, cause it didn't come from the bakery. I suspect I might have a different definition if I were in a touristy foodie sort of location.
Getting a little off the track, many of you remember I've said I was a non-cook before Innkeeping. I've managed to find ways of adulterating various mixes to make them taste better than just from out of the box. My most blasphemous episode was when, after years of being intimidated about making scones (how am I going to cut butter into flour? For some of us this is a real question) I decided to see what would happen if I used bisquick, a little sugar and half n half, shape it, cut and bake like scones. I liked the taste, so I served it to a couple of Brits, introducing them as Pseudo Scones, and was told they tasted fine and scone-like.

Homemade- made in the 'home', not bought ready-made.
From scratch- no mixes or shortcuts. At least that's what it means to me.
People can tell. I've often been told about how much people appreciate the extra effort gone into their meal. And they're not afraid to ask if you can make the same thing when they come back for another visit..
2cat_lady said:
And they're not afraid to ask if you can make the same thing when they come back for another visit.
Yes! We get this a lot.

In my lexicon, made from scratch is the highest art form. On the other hand, anything that's been in my oven I pass off as home made, cause it didn't come from the bakery. I suspect I might have a different definition if I were in a touristy foodie sort of location.
Getting a little off the track, many of you remember I've said I was a non-cook before Innkeeping. I've managed to find ways of adulterating various mixes to make them taste better than just from out of the box. My most blasphemous episode was when, after years of being intimidated about making scones (how am I going to cut butter into flour? For some of us this is a real question) I decided to see what would happen if I used bisquick, a little sugar and half n half, shape it, cut and bake like scones. I liked the taste, so I served it to a couple of Brits, introducing them as Pseudo Scones, and was told they tasted fine and scone-like..
I treated myself to one of those tools that cuts the butter into the flour. (Can't think what it's called -hate when that happens.) Pastry knife. Best tool ever. Love it!

If I make homemade 'overnight French toast', do I have to bake the bread?
wink_smile.gif

wink_smile.gif
Aussie Innkeeper said:
wink_smile.gif
Wow therein lies the question...
(Personally I would never even use that term with it anyway, it is obv something you made. But I do say "A delicious Home cooked meal")

Getting a little off the track, many of you remember I've said I was a non-cook before Innkeeping. I've managed to find ways of adulterating various mixes to make them taste better than just from out of the box. My most blasphemous episode was when, after years of being intimidated about making scones (how am I going to cut butter into flour? For some of us this is a real question) I decided to see what would happen if I used bisquick, a little sugar and half n half, shape it, cut and bake like scones. I liked the taste, so I served it to a couple of Brits, introducing them as Pseudo Scones, and was told they tasted fine and scone-like..
I treated myself to one of those tools that cuts the butter into the flour. (Can't think what it's called -hate when that happens.) Pastry knife. Best tool ever. Love it!
i have a recipe for simple scones that gives the alternate way of mixing in the food processor. So easy and the scones are really good. You mix in what ever you want. If you want he recipe I will share.

wink_smile.gif
Aussie Innkeeper said:
wink_smile.gif
If you want it to get repeated mentions and 5 star reviews every week, the answer is yes.
If you want once/month reviews that never mention it, then the answer is no.
Wait.
I've figured something out, not to do with this topic at all, but it finally makes sense to me - we are introverts, we get introverts for guests. They don't write reviews. I could grow all the food, have a churn out in the shed, cook everything from scratch, make all of the quilts and we'd still never get a review about it.
Sorry, that just popped into my head and I had to get it out.

i have a recipe for simple scones that gives the alternate way of mixing in the food processor. So easy and the scones are really good. You mix in what ever you want. If you want he recipe I will share.
Camge said:
I'm always up for an easy good recipe
regular_smile.gif

Back