What taxes do you collect at your Inn?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry Ice, I win! I've got just a 1% state lodging tax..
Nope. I pay 0% lodging tax. B+B's with 3 or fewer rooms do not have to collect the 5.7% state tax or any local room tax. Sure does help on the paperwork side of the business. My rates are "all inclusive, with no additional tax, tip or fees".
Silverspoon said:
Nope. I pay 0% lodging tax. B+B's with 3 or fewer rooms do not have to collect the 5.7% state tax or any local room tax. Sure does help on the paperwork side of the business. My rates are "all inclusive, with no additional tax, tip or fees".
Here's the winner for the lowest!
tounge_smile.gif

Silverspoon said:
tounge_smile.gif

Well if people actually read the web site they would "get' that our rates beat the rates at the larger, popular inns in the area because their rates do not include all the extra taxes and fees. But as you all know, most folks do not read. How many visitors to our web site actually understand that they are getting a bargain when they stay here in a suite or the private ocean-view cottage? Only the ones who actually book. And then I get "You mean I don't have to pay a room tax????" and they think I'm cheating on my taxes. Ah well.

Silverspoon said:
tounge_smile.gif

thumbs_up.gif

Silverspoon said:
tounge_smile.gif

Well if people actually read the web site they would "get' that our rates beat the rates at the larger, popular inns in the area because their rates do not include all the extra taxes and fees. But as you all know, most folks do not read. How many visitors to our web site actually understand that they are getting a bargain when they stay here in a suite or the private ocean-view cottage? Only the ones who actually book. And then I get "You mean I don't have to pay a room tax????" and they think I'm cheating on my taxes. Ah well.
Before they added our 1% state tax, and I didn't have to collect any, I used to have on our website after the rate "INCLUDES ALL TAXES"
It worked for the most part, but of course there were still many who didn't read and were happily surprised that the rate they saw was actually the final rate they paid.

In the UK if you are under a certain turn over its no tax - we are too big so we have to pay 10% of turnover as tax but it covers everything ie I sell an extra breakfast, gift shop etc so it does make it easier to work out.
We also don't have to pay tax or national insurance for employees as long as they don't work more than 18 hours a week - but its finding people who want less than 16 hours a week!

In the UK if you are under a certain turn over its no tax - we are too big so we have to pay 10% of turnover as tax but it covers everything ie I sell an extra breakfast, gift shop etc so it does make it easier to work out.
We also don't have to pay tax or national insurance for employees as long as they don't work more than 18 hours a week - but its finding people who want less than 16 hours a week!.
We also don't have to pay tax or national insurance for employees as long as they don't work more than 18 hours a week...
Yes, there are companies here who mostly hire part timers just so the staff won't qualify for company insurance coverage. A lot of people end up holding multiple part time jobs, none with benefits.

We also don't have to pay tax or national insurance for employees as long as they don't work more than 18 hours a week - but its finding people who want less than 16 hours a week!.
We also don't have to pay tax or national insurance for employees as long as they don't work more than 18 hours a week...
Yes, there are companies here who mostly hire part timers just so the staff won't qualify for company insurance coverage. A lot of people end up holding multiple part time jobs, none with benefits.
Arkansawyer said:
You don't want to open this can of worms. Trust me. (and yes this is VERY political)

Arkansawyer said:
You don't want to open this can of worms. Trust me. (and yes this is VERY political)
Joey Bloggs said:
Arkansawyer said:
Oh yes, I know! That's why I just said "companies" and left it at that. No need to debate the issue.

Doesn't work like that around here at all. First of all, everyone gets health, but other things like unemployment count the hours you work and retirement counts your income. It's all balanced at the end of the year, but hiring part-time doesn't save a company anything other than "extra benefits" that they might offer, which are few and far between. Even vacation pay is 4% of your salary. So if you work 4 different jobs you get 4% on each of those salaries which works out to two weeks vacation pay.

Aleben,
Why do you ask?.
I have been reading about the success of Air BnB recently and noticed that one of the biggest complaints is the fact that the home owners are not paying the required taxes and fees associated with running such a business.

Aleben,
Why do you ask?.
seashanty said:
Aleben,
Why do you ask?
Did anyone notice there was no answer given to the question asked by SS? Hmmmmmmm
That isn't unusual...many of the 'first timers" never come back. Many don't like our answers so they just go away or lurk. That is why I am not responding any more.
EmptyNest said:
Many don't like our answers so they just go away or lurk.
The answers here are fantastic! I didn't expect there would be so many more in such a short time.

Aleben,
Why do you ask?.
I have been reading about the success of Air BnB recently and noticed that one of the biggest complaints is the fact that the home owners are not paying the required taxes and fees associated with running such a business.
It is not just the taxes and fees - it is the hoops of inspections, insurance, health codes, fire codes, zoning codes, building codes that legitimate, legal B & Bs must navigate to open and remain open. We cannot "just open our doors" or post an ad. Pointing out missed taxes and fees is the ONLY thing that interests the governing bodies.
In NYC their answer, rather than track down the offenders, was to enact a law that would shut down the entire B & B industry (which helped hotels totally!).

Aleben,
Why do you ask?.
Around here, when found they are treated as tax evaders. Not only is the fine supposedly $700 a day, but the government can estimate their income and send them a tax bill going back 7 years for that estimate. Hard to fight when you don't want to show them proof that you were cheating and knew it.

Aleben,
Why do you ask?.
AirBnB doesn't make it easy -- they have no provision for calculating any tax what-so-ever, and instruct those listing rooms/properties for rent that might be subject to tax to include the tax within your rates, blah blah blah. But in many jurisdictions, we are required to list the tax separately. It's a real kludge, and I'ld like to see some state attorney generals get together to take a crack at them....

Back