What You Don’t Know About TripAdvisor

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow. Scary. And yet, what do you do about it? Do the best you can, play ball and cross your fingers?

Wow. Scary. And yet, what do you do about it? Do the best you can, play ball and cross your fingers?.
Love to post this on face book for all to read .
People that use this use less place ( - -) to gather information on the city or town they visit or accommodations . How can you really trust a review . Is It surely in a trusty book where there is a true a place, you can trust a reviewer? I really don't know any more. Does she or other s writers write a review you can trust? We also have seen where a writer ask for a free room and they will write a review on your business.
I wonder if there is a really a place where you can trust a review?

Excellent and eye-opening (and disturbing) article.
You know, the first thing a business school teaches about starting a successful business is to "identify a need and then fill that need".
There is obviously a need in the small bed and breakfast industry for an advertising platform specifically designed for small business bed and breakfasts that doesn't strip the business owner of what little profit their HARD labor produces. We have our target market (travelers who prefer the bed and breakfast experience over the corporate hotel). You would think that some business savvy techie type person could put together a business model for such a platform that would be a win-win for everyone; something that the majority of bed and breakfast businesses could get behind and support. Of course, if it was very successful, TA would come along and offer a too-good-to-refuse buyout for that company just as they have all the others.
Just thinking as I write - why couldn't the bed and breakfast owners themselves go together and build such a platform - jointly owned by the owners themselves? Then there is no risk of sellout. I could see that site growing into the go-to site for travelers who want to stay in a B&B. The B&B industry is large enough and there are enough intelligent and talented people within the industry to pull something like this off if everyone could get on the same page.

You know, the first thing a business school teaches about starting a successful business is to "identify a need and then fill that need".
There is obviously a need in the small bed and breakfast industry for an advertising platform specifically designed for small business bed and breakfasts that doesn't strip the business owner of what little profit their HARD labor produces. We have our target market (travelers who prefer the bed and breakfast experience over the corporate hotel). You would think that some business savvy techie type person could put together a business model for such a platform that would be a win-win for everyone; something that the majority of bed and breakfast businesses could get behind and support. Of course, if it was very successful, TA would come along and offer a too-good-to-refuse buyout for that company just as they have all the others.
Just thinking as I write - why couldn't the bed and breakfast owners themselves go together and build such a platform - jointly owned by the owners themselves? Then there is no risk of sellout. I could see that site growing into the go-to site for travelers who want to stay in a B&B. The B&B industry is large enough and there are enough intelligent and talented people within the industry to pull something like this off if everyone could get on the same page..
Aspiring Martha said:
... if everyone could get on the same page.
You've heard of herding cats, right?

Just thinking as I write - why couldn't the bed and breakfast owners themselves go together and build such a platform - jointly owned by the owners themselves? Then there is no risk of sellout. I could see that site growing into the go-to site for travelers who want to stay in a B&B. The B&B industry is large enough and there are enough intelligent and talented people within the industry to pull something like this off if everyone could get on the same page..
One of the problems is that some b&b innkeepers are dishonest and will submit fake reviews. There are unethical people in every industry.

Don't get me started!

hillbilly already has (innrewards.com) its just getting people to join - even though it is free!

Does anyone know how to get a closed b&b off of TA?.
On some of the pages (usually the mobile app versions) there's a link that says "Correct this listing" or something like that. Use it and then wait. We had one burn down last year and another close, and it took about 6 months before they finally were removed.
Sadly, we even had one guest last spring that had booked a room at the burned down one, had checked trip advisor listings the week before coming, then showed up at our doorstep with nowhere to stay.

On some of the pages (usually the mobile app versions) there's a link that says "Correct this listing" or something like that. Use it and then wait. We had one burn down last year and another close, and it took about 6 months before they finally were removed.
Sadly, we even had one guest last spring that had booked a room at the burned down one, had checked trip advisor listings the week before coming, then showed up at our doorstep with nowhere to stay.
I'm not sure it will accept that from a local IP address. Or from an email they know belongs to another business. For the obvious reasons.
We had one removed but only because generic complained about it from far away. They wouldn't listen to me for beans.

Back to the topic - is there anything we can do as small business owners?
  • Stop paying for a listing
  • Stop asking for reviews
  • Remove the badges from our websites
  • Remove the links in the badges, but leave the badges
  • Remove the decals they send us
  • Don't post the award certificates they send
Our does that just mean we lose?

I know lots of small innkeepers say they pay zero attention to ta, but is that relative to where they're located?

Little or no competition in the area and you're at the top of the list if someone is searching. And the shorter the list the faster you drop with a bad review.

So what can we do?

Aspiring Martha said:
Just thinking as I write - why couldn't the bed and breakfast owners themselves go together and build such a platform - jointly owned by the owners themselves? Then there is no risk of sellout. I could see that site growing into the go-to site for travelers who want to stay in a B&B. The B&B industry is large enough and there are enough intelligent and talented people within the industry to pull something like this off if everyone could get on the same page.
IMO.
No there isn't. sorry. We have dozens of those who want to sign us up, this is all about the review site, not a regular advertising B&B site. We don't want directories, been there done that.
Every state has associations, within every state we have associations, CVB's, state tourism sites, and more. We are HAPPY that the avg joe bloggs can google and find us, we are happy to not be listed on all these directories, that we can manage our own sites, our blogs, our social media.
NOTHING is free. No matter how many better way to stays come along (that was a directory such as the one idea mention). If everyone here would advocate for B&B's by doing all their own marketing on social media and share this theme, we would be ahead of the game.
We can't find the big corporations, Disneyland will always do what they do, no matter how much we protesteth, the same with TA and some of the others. We can TRY to give them a nudge.

Breakfast Diva said:
Does anyone know how to get a closed b&b off of TA?
The closed B&B has to contact TA via an already set up account. Or, a lot of reviewers with badges have to report it as a problem.
Morticia said:
Breakfast Diva said:
Does anyone know how to get a closed b&b off of TA?
The closed B&B has to contact TA via an already set up account. Or, a lot of reviewers with badges have to report it as a problem.
Just like the for sale listings, they are outta there and could care less. Which is a shame, as it reflects on all of us.

Don't get me started!
Hillbilly said:
Don't get me started!
thumbs_up.gif

Latest posts

Back