What's your gracious response to...?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The check in process should take no more than three minutes if you prepare everything in advance including all paperwork. In three minutes, you should be able to see the guests ID, take a payment, get a signature, explain the rules (such as no pets, pay per view charges, etc), and give them their keys. I haven't had the amount of time check in takes be an issue in at least ten years at any front desk I have been part of because of this unless I have a line up of check ins and I'm alone. You can even shorten the amount of time it takes by explaining the rules to all of them while you have handed out all the paperwork for them to sign at the same time. Put the phone on silent and even if you are busy, it still shouldn't take longer than 7 minutes per check in.
For unexpected additional guests, I always explain that there is an additional cost for extra guests. If they argue, I explain that all reservations are booked with up to two adults, and each additional adult is an extra. Since the paperwork they have to agree to says it, they usually can't argue and give in..
Two things... this isn't a hotel, you aren't a check-in clerk, you are the concierge. If you checked me in at a B&B like at a hotel... I could have gone to a hotel. Not that I have to tell them rules, because frankly the less the better. But I need to give them a key, explain where things are, take a time for breakfast, explain parking if they need it and then deal with questions. In 20 years, I have had just one complaint, but then she hated everything because she thought that she was had booked the Ritz Carleton at the Motel 6 price.
I've been to the hotel check-ins where they take your credit card, have you sign forms, hand you a map of the hotel and your key and that's it. Great... now, where is the elevator? I checked into one place that made me sign forms that were clearly for another country, ran my credit card for a deposit on a prepaid room for damages (because apparently they haven't read Visa/MC rules). Asked for my driver's licence and copied it, in spite of the fact that it is illegal to do it, here. So, how welcome did you think I felt after being put a completely illegal check-in system? But it was done in 3 minutes flat....

The check in process should take no more than three minutes if you prepare everything in advance including all paperwork. In three minutes, you should be able to see the guests ID, take a payment, get a signature, explain the rules (such as no pets, pay per view charges, etc), and give them their keys. I haven't had the amount of time check in takes be an issue in at least ten years at any front desk I have been part of because of this unless I have a line up of check ins and I'm alone. You can even shorten the amount of time it takes by explaining the rules to all of them while you have handed out all the paperwork for them to sign at the same time. Put the phone on silent and even if you are busy, it still shouldn't take longer than 7 minutes per check in.
For unexpected additional guests, I always explain that there is an additional cost for extra guests. If they argue, I explain that all reservations are booked with up to two adults, and each additional adult is an extra. Since the paperwork they have to agree to says it, they usually can't argue and give in..
Two things... this isn't a hotel, you aren't a check-in clerk, you are the concierge. If you checked me in at a B&B like at a hotel... I could have gone to a hotel. Not that I have to tell them rules, because frankly the less the better. But I need to give them a key, explain where things are, take a time for breakfast, explain parking if they need it and then deal with questions. In 20 years, I have had just one complaint, but then she hated everything because she thought that she was had booked the Ritz Carleton at the Motel 6 price.
I've been to the hotel check-ins where they take your credit card, have you sign forms, hand you a map of the hotel and your key and that's it. Great... now, where is the elevator? I checked into one place that made me sign forms that were clearly for another country, ran my credit card for a deposit on a prepaid room for damages (because apparently they haven't read Visa/MC rules). Asked for my driver's licence and copied it, in spite of the fact that it is illegal to do it, here. So, how welcome did you think I felt after being put a completely illegal check-in system? But it was done in 3 minutes flat....
So right on! I've had the best conversations with guests while I give them the tour of the house. I find out where they've been, what they expect of their stay and I try to find something in common with them. They go from 'customers' to guests in the space of a few minutes and I find that they are not demanding, they relax and start to act like they just came home.
You can have your quickie checkin Hotel X. Not in my house, uh uh!

melissag said:
For unexpected additional guests, I always explain that there is an additional cost for extra guests. If they argue, I explain that all reservations are booked with up to two adults, and each additional adult is an extra. Since the paperwork they have to agree to says it, they usually can't argue and give in.
You are a hotel front desk, we are B&B's - not even close to being the same. Thanks for the input, we appreciate the hotel vs the B&B check in process. We have all been there. Quicker vs slower after guests have been on the road most of the day is always a good thing.
We don't do any of this here:
"The check in process should take no more than three minutes if you prepare everything in advance including all paperwork. In three minutes, you should be able to see the guests ID, take a payment, get a signature, explain the rules (such as no pets, pay per view charges, etc), and give them their keys."
We walk them through the B&B showing them where they will be served breakfast, offering them a welcome refreshment, then taking them to their room and explaining a couple more things and usually answering questions. Most of the time the questions are "How long have you been doing this?" and about us, vs their stay. Next may be "where would you recommend we dine tonight?"
We don't explain ANY RULES. Ever.

melissag realize you have hotel experience. but we are innkeepers not hoteliers. Things are alot different in a B & B...so don't make assumptions what you do in a hotel works well in a B & B.

melissag said:
For unexpected additional guests, I always explain that there is an additional cost for extra guests. If they argue, I explain that all reservations are booked with up to two adults, and each additional adult is an extra. Since the paperwork they have to agree to says it, they usually can't argue and give in.
You are a hotel front desk, we are B&B's - not even close to being the same. Thanks for the input, we appreciate the hotel vs the B&B check in process. We have all been there. Quicker vs slower after guests have been on the road most of the day is always a good thing.
We don't do any of this here:
"The check in process should take no more than three minutes if you prepare everything in advance including all paperwork. In three minutes, you should be able to see the guests ID, take a payment, get a signature, explain the rules (such as no pets, pay per view charges, etc), and give them their keys."
We walk them through the B&B showing them where they will be served breakfast, offering them a welcome refreshment, then taking them to their room and explaining a couple more things and usually answering questions. Most of the time the questions are "How long have you been doing this?" and about us, vs their stay. Next may be "where would you recommend we dine tonight?"
We don't explain ANY RULES. Ever.
Rules - we explain that there is no smoking. Sometimes you can tell who needs to hear it. Some smokers are so sweet and they walk down to the beach each time. Others think as long as they are outside, they aren't smoking 'on premises.'
Sometimes I'll say, "We don't really have rules except for no smoking and no late night parties." People usually laugh.

A slightly different view here. We have a reception desk here at the inn. It's the first thing you see when you enter. For aspirings I recommend planning this because 1. People instantly know 'this is a business'. 2. It makes check in easier to do first, number 1, right away. Most people who want an add on meal will ask at check in, also similar check-in type questions. I always have their bills made up in advance and printed out on the desk. All we have to do then is run the card, then show them to their room. I use an iPad and square to run the cards. If one in the party has to use the facilities right away there is a half bath just a few steps away.
Brochures, maps etc are right there for the other person in the party to select from during the approx two min check in takes.
I ask them what time they would like breakfast when I see them to their room. The quickie tour of the common area happens on the way. Then the casual conversation starts with most guests. The ones who want more privacy project that.
I don't know how prevalent front desks are in most B&Bs. Maybe the next poll?

A slightly different view here. We have a reception desk here at the inn. It's the first thing you see when you enter. For aspirings I recommend planning this because 1. People instantly know 'this is a business'. 2. It makes check in easier to do first, number 1, right away. Most people who want an add on meal will ask at check in, also similar check-in type questions. I always have their bills made up in advance and printed out on the desk. All we have to do then is run the card, then show them to their room. I use an iPad and square to run the cards. If one in the party has to use the facilities right away there is a half bath just a few steps away.
Brochures, maps etc are right there for the other person in the party to select from during the approx two min check in takes.
I ask them what time they would like breakfast when I see them to their room. The quickie tour of the common area happens on the way. Then the casual conversation starts with most guests. The ones who want more privacy project that.
I don't know how prevalent front desks are in most B&Bs. Maybe the next poll?
We have a desk right in the entry. It has the maps, etc.
Problems we encountered that caused us to change operations:
We used to have the keys and paperwork right at the desk. Guests started taking the keys and never ringing the bell to let us know they were in the house.
Pulling the paperwork out the minute they walked in was disconcerting. (Bright sunlight, darker room, adjusting to not being in car, etc.)
Instead, we now keep the door locked at all timest and the paperwork in the office with the keys. Guests have a minute to orient themselves, put their bags down, take a look around before I show up with things to sign and a request for their cc.
(For anyone who thinks a guest at a B&B thinks they pay at the door, think again. 50% of my guests, even tho it is clearly stated in their confirmation otherwise, think they pay when they leave. Several times a year it unfortunately devolves into arguments with guests who only want to pay if they enjoyed their stay.)
Anyhoo, giving the guest that minute to acclimate has really cut down on the stress level. Many are already snacking on cookies and eyeing the coffee machine.
This works here. YMMV. As with everything else we discuss.

Too all of those who just rude to me for no reason saying "you are a hotelier and know nothing about B&B's so what you say basically means nothing"...
I have never had anyone be so rude to me as you just were now. It's very unprofessional and very unwelcoming to anyone that is new to your forum. I really hope you don't treat your guests that way. You should be ashamed of yourselves. I now know not to bother coming back here for any help with anything because you won't give it. You are just interested in bashing someone who actually has more experience in the industry than you do.
Thank you so much for the warm welcome. It is so very appreciated.

Too all of those who just rude to me for no reason saying "you are a hotelier and know nothing about B&B's so what you say basically means nothing"...
I have never had anyone be so rude to me as you just were now. It's very unprofessional and very unwelcoming to anyone that is new to your forum. I really hope you don't treat your guests that way. You should be ashamed of yourselves. I now know not to bother coming back here for any help with anything because you won't give it. You are just interested in bashing someone who actually has more experience in the industry than you do.
Without taking it personally, because it isn't... what you are saying is that you have more experience than us. We are telling you that you have experience in a different industry than us.
In short we are telling you B&Bs are the UNhotel. Instead of getting angry at us, learn from what we are telling you, because running a B&B like a hotel isn't going to end well. B&B guests expect something very different from a hotel. In fact, my guests don't sign anything when they walk in the door!

Many times I've found just the opposite…I'd like to get the spiel done in a few minutes but they have lots of questions or frankly aren't even listening, just wandering around looking at things. Then you do get the bathroom dancers too, just have to be able to pick up on the non-verbal cues to fit the situation.

melissag said:
Rather than stomping off in a snit - realize everyone is TRYING to be helpful. NO ONE told you to bugger off. I spent over 10 years as a relief night auditor and those 2 nights a week was everything except housekeeping. Very different from B & B. If you will stop taking everything personally - step back a moment and read your posts as if someone is trying to tell YOU how much they know about something you have been doing for years. Other than saying B & B and hotel are very different, you have been welcomed. If you choose to leave, it is your loss.

# 1. We walk out to the foyer, greet the guests, and introduce ourselves. We offer them the main floor half bath and ask if they want to pay now or see the room first. Then we show them to their room(s) while we point out the call button, 24/7 Coffee & Tea bar, common area, notify them of the free WiFi and it's code is in their room, the Dining room, the guest fridge, etc. In case they weren't listening there is a pamphlet in their room which briefs the most important issues.
# 2. We charge them when they check in for the extra person.... but it doesn't happen too often. Just once in awhile.

melissag said:
Sarcasm flies right over our heads.
I believe your response that 'this is how it's done, no more than 3 minutes' did not take into account that we don't run hotels. So, taking that into account, do you think, maybe, jumping in with 'your' way of doing it without understanding your audience might, perhaps, be construed by the business owners on this site as a tad rude?
As Jon said, we're not just handing out keys and getting credit card imprints. We're welcoming guests into our home. Welcoming. Home.
You want to do what we do as your full-time occupation. You've got some experience. All to the good. You could learn a few things here, maybe, but you might want to join a paid innkeeping forum like the one at PAII. They are much nicer there.

The points of view here are varied, as are our guest's expectations. Some guests seek a warm, personal homelike atmosphere, some a more hotel-like experience. I really do try to anticipate, listen- then provide the level of service or friendliness the guests indicate a preference for. It's part of the fun of it for me. I don't know how many times I've read about a forum member delighting a guest with an unexpected, thoughtful and appreciated service. Sharing those stories are how the rest of us learn.
I spent a lot of time reading comments on this and another forum for about three years before we opened, hard to believe that was eight years ago now.
Stick around, give us some time. This forum is a nut well worth cracking.

We try not to speed through the check in process, in fact, we greet the guests outside the office as they drive in. We welcome them and show them to their cottage. They can catch their breath, use their bathroom and when they are good and ready, they come to the office and pay for their stay and we have a chance to introduce them to the area, we find out what they are seeking, and we help them to find it. And repeat guests always "hang out" wanting to chat.
We get really great feedback for this, so we continue doing just that.
2. We have had to ask guests to leave because they blatantly ignored the max occupancy for the cottage they booked. It happened once and frankly, I did not think that these folks fit our profile anyway, so off they went. Very unhappy with our unwillingness to be flexible. Whatever that means. If the room has one bed, 2 peeps can stay, not 4.
I hope to never have to ask someone to leave again.

We try not to speed through the check in process, in fact, we greet the guests outside the office as they drive in. We welcome them and show them to their cottage. They can catch their breath, use their bathroom and when they are good and ready, they come to the office and pay for their stay and we have a chance to introduce them to the area, we find out what they are seeking, and we help them to find it. And repeat guests always "hang out" wanting to chat.
2. We have had to ask guests to leave because they blatantly ignored the max occupancy for the cottage they booked. It happened once and frankly, I did not think that these folks fit our profile anyway, so off they went. Very unhappy with our unwillingness to be flexible. Whatever that means. If the room has one bed, 2 peeps can stay, not 4.
I hope to never have to ask someone to leave again..
Dunno about B&Bs, but as a landlord, I am aware that the FEDERAL maximum for a rental unit is as follows:
-- two people per bedroom, and one in the living room --
So a 3 bedroom house/apt would allow 7 people.
For people who want to overwhelm your cottage/house/bedroom, you might want to quote the federal maximum as why they cannot do this...

I think you have to taylor your check in to each guest - for example I have a lot of conference guests - they are here for that specific thing and generally are running late - they need a quick comfort break, dump bag, get key and run across the road
However my holiday people - I will spend more time with depending on what they need, want and have planned

Morticia said:
Situation 1: "Can you speed this up?" (The check in process.)
Each time I read this I am astonished at the rudeness. How do people get away with treating others like this?

I think you have to taylor your check in to each guest - for example I have a lot of conference guests - they are here for that specific thing and generally are running late - they need a quick comfort break, dump bag, get key and run across the road
However my holiday people - I will spend more time with depending on what they need, want and have planned
Joey Camb said:
This makes total sense. Next time someone tells me they are a VENDOR I will do the 'speedy' check in.

Back