"When I retire the one thing I will not miss is..."

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One... I get to pick just one?
  • Waiting - What a waste of good time. Of course, I can watch something or read something while waiting, but seems just so pointless to wait for people.
  • Arguing - You apparently know my business better than me. Like today, the answer that I don't have a room available still elicited more questions... really, I have a magic room available through the wardrobe. Or they want to know a price on a room that I don't have. How can I have a price on a mythological room?
  • Names - Guests who need to know my name... and then mispronounce it, misspell it and sometimes even tell me that I'm not pronouncing it right. Because it's obvious that they know my name better than me... oh, you are named after Jr. NO! I'm named after his damn father, the violist.
  • Prying - Guests who think it's okay to ask any question they want? If I reply... do you know what the censored is? They are shocked... but probably less than I am that they asked me that question. (If I never hear the "Are you brothers" question in my life, it will be too damn soon.)
YES, Only one!! I just canceled out your four so will have to come up with one more!
You call INNspiring a waste of time!?!? Just as you are ready to respond to a post, the long lost guests show up. And time flies when you're having fun reading Morticia's newest award winning guest stories!
Sorry! Rooms are all taken and the ghost has the mythological room and doesn't like roommates. Take it as a compliment Generic, they are arguing since they want to be THERE! Not somewhere else.
If all else fails, change your name and move to another state...
No, just cousins…. You have Great-Great-Grandpa Noah to blame…. End of discussion and onto another question. I bet you can come up with a joke or story to go along with it.

One... I get to pick just one?
  • Waiting - What a waste of good time. Of course, I can watch something or read something while waiting, but seems just so pointless to wait for people.
  • Arguing - You apparently know my business better than me. Like today, the answer that I don't have a room available still elicited more questions... really, I have a magic room available through the wardrobe. Or they want to know a price on a room that I don't have. How can I have a price on a mythological room?
  • Names - Guests who need to know my name... and then mispronounce it, misspell it and sometimes even tell me that I'm not pronouncing it right. Because it's obvious that they know my name better than me... oh, you are named after Jr. NO! I'm named after his damn father, the violist.
  • Prying - Guests who think it's okay to ask any question they want? If I reply... do you know what the censored is? They are shocked... but probably less than I am that they asked me that question. (If I never hear the "Are you brothers" question in my life, it will be too damn soon.)
YES, Only one!! I just canceled out your four so will have to come up with one more!
You call INNspiring a waste of time!?!? Just as you are ready to respond to a post, the long lost guests show up. And time flies when you're having fun reading Morticia's newest award winning guest stories!
Sorry! Rooms are all taken and the ghost has the mythological room and doesn't like roommates. Take it as a compliment Generic, they are arguing since they want to be THERE! Not somewhere else.
If all else fails, change your name and move to another state...
No, just cousins…. You have Great-Great-Grandpa Noah to blame…. End of discussion and onto another question. I bet you can come up with a joke or story to go along with it.
I won't repeat the joke for the last one, it's x-rated and tasteless :)

Morticia said:
I won't miss food allergies.
In our "thank you for your booking" email. I asked about food allergies. Last month one couple wrote a 6 page Word doc listing websites, newspaper articles, doctors reports etc. Everything from only steamed fish and cucumbers with NO pimples to borsch without beet root and no fresh farm eggs. it went on and on. I wrote them back reminding them that we only serve breakfast and were a Canadian family home with a regular kitchen and one staff member: ME. I then suggested they find another accommodation.
Guess what - they booked in more days!.
What did you end up feeding them?
(I might have asked, "what would you like for breakfast?"
Good morning all: Our fussy fussy guests arrive at the end on September, they booked with a OTA so canceling them is an option but also a hassle.
Hehe - I hesitate to ask in case I get another good sermon.
It is going to be chef's choice.... I'll let you know when they are gone,

Morticia said:
I won't miss food allergies.
In our "thank you for your booking" email. I asked about food allergies. Last month one couple wrote a 6 page Word doc listing websites, newspaper articles, doctors reports etc. Everything from only steamed fish and cucumbers with NO pimples to borsch without beet root and no fresh farm eggs. it went on and on. I wrote them back reminding them that we only serve breakfast and were a Canadian family home with a regular kitchen and one staff member: ME. I then suggested they find another accommodation.
Guess what - they booked in more days!.
OMG, kill me now! More days? Will you take them?
Silverspoon said:
OMG, kill me now! More days? Will you take them?
Yup - they book with an OTA and that is sometimes a hassle to cancel. I am going to go with it and serve chef's choice breakfast. They may be like the vegetarians who sit down with all everyone and then ask "where is MY bacon".

I don't miss the lack of privacy.
regular_smile.gif

We talk about , "if we ever own the house."
If we ever own the house, I will be happy to have a bedroom that is not also a hallway between the kitchen and TV room.
(Yes, we considered switching the TV room and bedroom and it would help make the apartment more livable, but would involve too much construction for us to bother.).
I think a large part of our continuing to be happy in this business is having a large living quarters, I could only camp out in tiny quarters for a short period before becoming (more) grumpy from the lack of space.
Guess that would be my advice for anyone considering the business is to think long term about the living area of the property and choose a property where you will be happy with more than just the income.
Couldn't agree more. We looked at other properties and just could not imagine living in one or two rooms. One place had a bedroom in the winter, but the basement in the summer. Not for us. We need our life as well as our business.
We have one of the largest apartments I've seen in a B&B, but that is because we actually took two apartments. So we have two kitchens, two living rooms and two bedrooms. Quirky, but it works.
(The second kitchen is really just a refrigerator and sink. If we wanted to rent it as an apartment, it would need work.)
We have the smallest owners quarters in town - 2 bedrooms, 1 bathroom, kitchen, living room, dining room and the office/bedroom/hallway.
Yes, that's the smallest OQ's in town.
We have a two-bedroom apartment taking up less than a quarter of the bottom floor. Across from the interior apartment door is the office, within a hallway that links the Inn and the kitchen, staff livingroom. Our apartment lacks a kitchen, making breakfasts VERY inconvenient.
Generations ago, there was a 10-person family who owned the place, really makes me yearn for their set up...

Let me mention not only allergies but 'food preferences'. We have a 6 night stay that informed us at 9:30 this AM that they don't eat carbs. Any carbs. None at all. No sugar. No bread. No yogurt. No carbs. No fruit. Zero, zip, nada.
So, for the extent of their stay they are getting scrambled eggs and meat. Period.

Let me mention not only allergies but 'food preferences'. We have a 6 night stay that informed us at 9:30 this AM that they don't eat carbs. Any carbs. None at all. No sugar. No bread. No yogurt. No carbs. No fruit. Zero, zip, nada.
So, for the extent of their stay they are getting scrambled eggs and meat. Period..
That's their problem. You got it eggs and bacon or sausage and be done with them.

So, for the extent of their stay they are getting scrambled eggs and meat. Period..
Gillum's egg cups that she posted in the 'stepping up breakfast' thread would work.

Crustless quiche? Do they eat cheese and veggies?
Roasted tomato? Sauted peppers and onions? Western omelet?

Did you ask them what they normally have for breakfast? Sounds like a very boring life to me
confused_smile.gif

TheBeachHouse said:
On days we are serving eggs they'll get the eggs we're serving. On days we're having carbs they'll get scrambled with meat.
Don't tell me at 9:30 on the first of 6 days that you don't eat (whatever) and expect me to change everyone else's breakfast because you're fat and cutting carbs as the way you're tricking yourself into losing weight. (Btw, not fat people at all.)
They had 3 months to tell us this.

Did you ask them what they normally have for breakfast? Sounds like a very boring life to me
confused_smile.gif

Silverspoon said:
confused_smile.gif
Scrambled and bacon.

BTW, I think I found the solution to the dietary dilemma. While I was gone to visit dad Gomez took the reservations. The confirmation goes out signed by him. He had a response back from every one he sent out.
All of them said: you should know in advance we don't eat (whatever). They had the opportunity online to fill in that section. It was when they got an email from a guy that they figured they'd better tell him in advance they can't eat whatever.
The other odd thing is we had almost zero dietary issues this summer. Starting yesterday every single day in September has someone with some issue. Is it because school started and everyone is starting a new diet?

To me, that is like someone begging me to bake and let the smell run through the house... it brings out the sadist in me.

To me, that is like someone begging me to bake and let the smell run through the house... it brings out the sadist in me.
Generic said:
I'm making crisps and coffee cake this week, have no fear.

Generic said:
I'm making crisps and coffee cake this week, have no fear.
thumbs_up.gif

No carbs!! They are carnivores so that is what they get.

BTW, I think I found the solution to the dietary dilemma. While I was gone to visit dad Gomez took the reservations. The confirmation goes out signed by him. He had a response back from every one he sent out.
All of them said: you should know in advance we don't eat (whatever). They had the opportunity online to fill in that section. It was when they got an email from a guy that they figured they'd better tell him in advance they can't eat whatever.
The other odd thing is we had almost zero dietary issues this summer. Starting yesterday every single day in September has someone with some issue. Is it because school started and everyone is starting a new diet?.
Morticia said:
Again! Gomez sent out the confirmation and the reply came back with what they can't eat in spite of not filling it in when they had the chance. So, tomorrow is the day every room has a different dietary issue. And one room is staying 5 nights so they overlap with the next group of 'can't eat that'.

Back