When the innkeeper is sick...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh it just gets better...guest broke a toilet. We thought it was fixed but apparently he also broke the fill pipe in the wall. It happily 'filled' the bathroom downstairs and collapsed the ceiling. Luckily, the vent fan held it up until we could get the guests out of the room and tear the ceiling down.
Really, truly hoping today's guests are late arrivals so we can turn the water back on to their room. Otherwise I am going to have to either give them their night for free and ask them to come back later on or book them in somewhere else for the night.
As it is, the guests who had the ceiling problem this morning are here as a publicity freebie. They've already been moved for tonight and if I can't move the guests who are in that room tomorrow, they'll be playing musical beds again tomorrow. So, guess who's going to get ANOTHER free weekend stay here just for being good sports.
And, of course, with both of us sick now, we're are limping along trying to get all the cleaning done. I have one set of sheets left. OK, time to hit the laundry again..
OK, crawling around on the floor upstairs while DH solders pipe from downstairs and I realize not only did they break the toilet, they shattered, absolutely shattered the floor tiles in the bathroom. We cannot retile the bathroom floor today or anytime this month without moving guests to other rooms.
Alrighty then, off to have a good cry.
OMG!!!!!! What in heaven's name were they doing???? I hope you are billing them for all of this!!! It is not normal wear and tear.
EmptyNest said:
OMG!!!!!! What in heaven's name were they doing???? I hope you are billing them for all of this!!! It is not normal wear and tear.
No, of course not. There is no way to prove they did anything. Not the broken toilet, not the cracked pipe, not the shattered floor tiles.
You can't prove it??? The room wasn't like that when they walked in...who else would be responsible. I would confront them with the evidence and ask bluntly what went on in here!
EmptyNest said:
You can't prove it??? The room wasn't like that when they walked in...who else would be responsible. I would confront them with the evidence and ask bluntly what went on in here!
They are long gone. They never even mentioned the leaking toilet. We found it while cleaning. We couldn't do anything about it at the time as we didn't have a room to move them to. Figured it was just a leaky valve until DH got in there. And today when the ceiling came down we realized the extent of the damage.
DH didn't tell me about the floor tiles. I found those myself today,
Without before and after photos it's he said, she said. And you know the cc company won't back us up.
At this point it's just another chapter...

Oh it just gets better...guest broke a toilet. We thought it was fixed but apparently he also broke the fill pipe in the wall. It happily 'filled' the bathroom downstairs and collapsed the ceiling. Luckily, the vent fan held it up until we could get the guests out of the room and tear the ceiling down.
Really, truly hoping today's guests are late arrivals so we can turn the water back on to their room. Otherwise I am going to have to either give them their night for free and ask them to come back later on or book them in somewhere else for the night.
As it is, the guests who had the ceiling problem this morning are here as a publicity freebie. They've already been moved for tonight and if I can't move the guests who are in that room tomorrow, they'll be playing musical beds again tomorrow. So, guess who's going to get ANOTHER free weekend stay here just for being good sports.
And, of course, with both of us sick now, we're are limping along trying to get all the cleaning done. I have one set of sheets left. OK, time to hit the laundry again..
You are one tough lady! A lesser person would curl up in a ball in the corner! I know that's what I did a few years ago when DH did some plumbing on the second floor but forgot to tighten a joint. We found the ceiling in the suite below on the floor 1 hour before new guests were to arrive. Boo Hoo....you could hear me crying all the way to Cincinnati! Now we laugh, but it has taken a LONG time to get to that point. You are a real trooper if you are finding the humor in this so soon. Good for you!
One Friday night I had one reservation - for my "budget" room. I then got a 2-room "walk-in". Saturday morning I hear water dripping but cannot figure out where it is from. Then I see water on the floor in the dining room. I go up and knock on the bathroom door - do you have the curtain inside in the shower? Yes. Hmmm. Can see nothing. Person in shower resumes. About 5 minutes later the tile in the ceiling in the dining room comes crashing down and it is obvious what the problem is - the drain has divorced the drain pipe. I get the showering person to cease and desist. I call my plumber - recording. I call his house - recording. I call the guys that work for him - answering machine. I start calling plumbers in the phone book. I FINALLY get one who did come out., Meanwhile the person in the shower was one of the walk-ins and the rest of their party all showered in the bathroom of their other room (pvt bath). The ONLY person who did not get a shower that morning was the one with the RESERVATION! I told her that her room was comp. She refused to accept that - she finally accepted a 50 % off. This was one year after that shower had been installed. Another reason I hate the company that did my bathroom reno.
Monday I got a call from the plumber asking if I still had the problem - it was the one weekend he was out of town and all his on-call guys either had family emergencies or had planned family stuff (graduations) and were not on-call.
I feel for you, Maddie. All you can do is laugh or cry and crying will not fix it.
Its alway worce to my mind as you always have that money allocated for something else - ie my friend who had a huge leak last week has been really saving to do another room as it is looking very tired and was getting excited about the reno and now it may have to wait another 6 months she was nearly crying! its doubly rotten as they are super nice people and don't deserve it same as maddie - its a cruel trick of fate 2 steps forward 3 back

OK, crawling around on the floor upstairs while DH solders pipe from downstairs and I realize not only did they break the toilet, they shattered, absolutely shattered the floor tiles in the bathroom. We cannot retile the bathroom floor today or anytime this month without moving guests to other rooms.
EmptyNest said:
No, of course not. There is no way to prove they did anything. Not the broken toilet, not the cracked pipe, not the shattered floor tiles.
EmptyNest said:
They are long gone. They never even mentioned the leaking toilet. We found it while cleaning. We couldn't do anything about it at the time as we didn't have a room to move them to. Figured it was just a leaky valve until DH got in there. And today when the ceiling came down we realized the extent of the damage.
Without before and after photos it's he said, she said. And you know the cc company won't back us up.
Madeleine said:
EmptyNest said:
So this will be a chapter chop full! Maybe this could be the chapter to scare off the 'when I retire I am going to open up a B&B' type. And if they get through this chapter and still are interested, they get the thumbs up!!!

EmptyNest said:
EmptyNest said:
Madeleine said:
EmptyNest said:
So this will be a chapter chop full! Maybe this could be the chapter to scare off the 'when I retire I am going to open up a B&B' type. And if they get through this chapter and still are interested, they get the thumbs up!!!
Anyone who ever says "oh we would like to open a B&B when we retire it would be so relaxing" deserves to get a poke in the eye!

EmptyNest said:
EmptyNest said:
Madeleine said:
EmptyNest said:
Anyone who ever says "oh we would like to open a B&B when we retire it would be so relaxing" deserves to get a poke in the eye!
A poke in the eye. I was thinking more...
whip_1.jpg

OK, wish us luck - 5 candidates coming in tomorrow for the job opening.

OK, wish us luck - 5 candidates coming in tomorrow for the job opening..
Best of luck!
Give them all the job and at least one of them should show up! (JK)
Breakfast Diva said:
Best of luck!
Give them all the job and at least one of them should show up! (JK)
For at least a couple of days! You know, the one we didn't hire from the last time has been a peach. She said she'd be happy to come in and work on her days off from her other job. Sigh.

OMG! You poor things! My mind is boggled how a guest could break a toilet and the tile around it.....
You could always do what the B&B here does...put a rug over the broken tile. hahahaha.... Seriously, I know that you are too meticulous for that scenario.
Hope you can get it all fixed...soon, and without costing an arm an a leg.

Back