Where the heck are you!?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always thought people found us because they already decided to come to our town. hmmmm. Thinking.
No. Our map is only how to get to the house from the highway. No overview..
JB's idea is a good one. Someone may find you because of a search you never planned on and not have a clue even what state beach house is in.
I get a fair number of calls from people looking for snowmobile rentals because I blogged about a place hours from here where they do that.

First impressions are so important. I leave lots of websites when the first thing I see doesn't appeal to me. The stuff at the top of the homepage is definitely the most important real estate on a website..
Arks said:
First impressions are so important. I leave lots of websites when the first thing I see doesn't appeal to me. The stuff at the top of the homepage is definitely the most important real estate on a website.
and if they SHOVE GIANT FOOD IMAGES in your face? I think innkeepers have gone a little too zealous on this. They may need to refine their headers a wee bit.
I agree with the header space being paramount. I am not saying it should be the call to action site, at all.
But overall, back to the topic and why I started this thread, give me a map! Not everyone plans their vacations or getaways the same way. I am one who will see an inn or person online who is sharing amazing things to see in their area and will consider going there. I am NOT one who picks a location then searches for a place to stay, all the time, maybe 50% of the time.
I want to re-do my home page but am waiting till my new canopy for the front comes because I will have to re-do then anyway. Currently I am old canopy down - new canopy in 2 weeks so I can't really take any pictures without them looking super odd!

First impressions are so important. I leave lots of websites when the first thing I see doesn't appeal to me. The stuff at the top of the homepage is definitely the most important real estate on a website..
Arks said:
First impressions are so important. I leave lots of websites when the first thing I see doesn't appeal to me. The stuff at the top of the homepage is definitely the most important real estate on a website.
and if they SHOVE GIANT FOOD IMAGES in your face? I think innkeepers have gone a little too zealous on this. They may need to refine their headers a wee bit.
I agree with the header space being paramount. I am not saying it should be the call to action site, at all.
But overall, back to the topic and why I started this thread, give me a map! Not everyone plans their vacations or getaways the same way. I am one who will see an inn or person online who is sharing amazing things to see in their area and will consider going there. I am NOT one who picks a location then searches for a place to stay, all the time, maybe 50% of the time.
We say where we are right up front, and also have a map...but you have given me the idea....City, State hot link to map...Cool!
Thanks

I just checked mine as I really was not certain. I have a Goo gle map as the header showing the Interstate and my little marker to be zoomed in on. I also have directions to the house from each direction and at the bottom of my Directions page I list time/miles (per Goo gle) from the major cities I hope to draw from.

I have a directions page and 3 different maps on 2 different pages. Homepage header tells where we are.
If people can't figure out where we are, they have a BIG PROBLEM!
I still laugh when people ask "how do people find you?" (meaning our rural location, not in a town) Uhhh, the same way you did!!

I have a small embedded, interactive Google Maps "app" in the sidebar of my homepage. It starts zoomed in on the location, but you can click [-] a few times and zoom out to see where in the state/country/world we are.
I just can't remember where I got this embedded map code. Maybe it used to be available through Google Maps, but with the new Maps I can't figure out how to get it again, or anything else! I HATE the new Google Maps!

To have it shared from further out, ie a regional view like I pasted below, vs close up street or in town, ZOOM OUT "-" prior to doing all the steps below.

I found a great site where you can
  • Create an interactive Google map to your property to embed in your website.
  • Define the text that will display on the marker for your property.
  • Specify the zoom level of your map.
  • Specify the size of your map.
  • ...and a few other things
Easy and free.

I have a small embedded, interactive Google Maps "app" in the sidebar of my homepage. It starts zoomed in on the location, but you can click [-] a few times and zoom out to see where in the state/country/world we are.
I just can't remember where I got this embedded map code. Maybe it used to be available through Google Maps, but with the new Maps I can't figure out how to get it again, or anything else! I HATE the new Google Maps!.
/

I found a great site where you can
  • Create an interactive Google map to your property to embed in your website.
  • Define the text that will display on the marker for your property.
  • Specify the zoom level of your map.
  • Specify the size of your map.
  • ...and a few other things
Easy and free..
You don't need a site to do that...Use Google Maps.
It also is usually a plug in or a built in WP theme widget. The new Striking Multi-Flex has all of that built in ..as I must say..most good WP themes

One B&B I am pursuing for an upcoming trip next year has done this so well. Heather has been marketing this place like crazy online, and it looks amazing.
Take a look at this page to see how easy it is for me to plan a visit, knowing where they are and what is nearby (scroll down):
http://www.craigendbandb.co.uk/things-to-do/

Speaking of websites... 5 of our guests here today told dh how much they liked our site and how easy it was to find plenty to do.
Especially liked the small section on the home page devoted to what's happening during the month.

Back