Which part of 3-night minimum do you not understand?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't feel right about adding extra money to a highly desired room/weekend just because you can get it. Do you tell the people that it's an extra $25 per night because you can get it? Do they realize that they are being charged more than a regular rate? I understand it's more money in your pocket and I understand that if people want that room they will pay it. But, I would feel like I was taking advantage of them. And I know there are alot of people on this forum who do it..
Kay Nein said:
I don't feel right about adding extra money to a highly desired room/weekend just because you can get it. Do you tell the people that it's an extra $25 per night because you can get it? Do they realize that they are being charged more than a regular rate? I understand it's more money in your pocket and I understand that if people want that room they will pay it. But, I would feel like I was taking advantage of them. And I know there are alot of people on this forum who do it.
What's the difference between charging more for certain nights and having a lower off season rate? It's basically the same mentality. The higher price is when the market will bear it. We're not talking about gouging a guest. Just a reasonable increase. If you have a range on your website for your rooms, i.e. $140-$190 and change rates for slower times, it all good.
The public is used to hotels and motels changing rates multiple times a day! It's called yield management. Remember, this is a business. The more you can make (within reason) without doing any extra work, the more comfortable you can be.

I don't feel right about adding extra money to a highly desired room/weekend just because you can get it. Do you tell the people that it's an extra $25 per night because you can get it? Do they realize that they are being charged more than a regular rate? I understand it's more money in your pocket and I understand that if people want that room they will pay it. But, I would feel like I was taking advantage of them. And I know there are alot of people on this forum who do it..
We used to feel as you do. Then we wised up. Hotels charging over $300/night for the room that was $119 a few weeks ago. And guests are paying it! And still arguing with me over a room that is half the price and includes everything!
Why are we not doing something similar? If they're arguing over $150, why not make it $160? I am even offer a $10 discount and make the rate I want.
So, hang onto your hat, we charge an extra TEN dollars. That, over the course of the busy season, works out to a couple thousand more for us so we can not feel pushed to the wall off season.
And, the other thing? It's our business. We can charge what the market will bear. (However, I don't believe in gouging. And guests will balk in droves if we're gouging. And reviews will show the same. So you will know when you're priced too high.)
It's OK to work smarter. You might have one fewer room night booked but make more money. You also might find that no one blinks at the higher rate.

Kay Nein said:
I don't feel right about adding extra money to a highly desired room/weekend just because you can get it. Do you tell the people that it's an extra $25 per night because you can get it? Do they realize that they are being charged more than a regular rate? I understand it's more money in your pocket and I understand that if people want that room they will pay it. But, I would feel like I was taking advantage of them. And I know there are alot of people on this forum who do it.
If you turn it around and you have your rack rate at the highest point and you then offer a discount or a package price, perhaps with a minimum, for those times when you can not fill up, it is the same. This is what we do. We do this because we do not like to charge more for our rooms when we know we will be full. We may not have the package or discount available during those times and the end result is we work smarter and our ADR goes up.

I do not change my rates for peak times because DH cannot remember regular rates - it would confuse him terribly.
It is called supply and demand. You have something they want and that is in demand. That is why people have week day and weekend rates. It is not taking advantage of people to raise rates for a peak time - hotels change rates. Look at what rates are in Daytona regularly and what they are Bike Week.
Dynamics change during those special times - ie Bike Week will bring party time and anyone with a lick of sense will avoid Daytona. It is to compensate you for the possible extra work due to the event and what it brings as guests.
Raise the rate some and do not feel badly about it.
I think what really peaked my interest was the extra $25 per night just because there was only 2-nights available. I do understand holiday weekends or weekends-vs-weekdays. But this seemed like a "just-because-I-can".
Not bashing SS as I know many do it, just wanted to discuss it with y'all so I can understand better.
what i am saying is that this person is insisting on booking just 2 nights when the place has a 3 night minimum during that timeframe. if the person really wants to stay, let them book for the 3 nights paying that price. if they stay all 3, fine. if not, they essentially paying more by choice. what often times happens is the guest will stay 2 nights then try to cancel the 3rd night ... leaving the innkeeper without that 3rd night income. i'm not talking about higher rates for different times. that's a different thing.
Kay Nein said:
I think what really peaked my interest was the extra $25 per night just because there was only 2-nights available. I do understand holiday weekends or weekends-vs-weekdays. But this seemed like a "just-because-I-can".
Not bashing SS as I know many do it, just wanted to discuss it with y'all so I can understand better.

It's called capitalism and as long as you aren't abusing people or cheating people, it's perfectly fine. Your job is to make the most money that you can. Their job as customers is to get the best price they can. Supply and demand. I put my prices up on long weekends by $10. I could put them up by $20 or $30 and still get it on some weekends. But there is nothing wrong with making an extra few dollars. The down side is that they often tip less when they pay more.
Life is like a sh_t sandwich, the more bread you have the less sh_t you have to eat.

We don't just randomly charge extra for a weekend...unless it turns out to be a 2-night weekend in July and August when we have a 3-night minimum stay and are full, full, full for the entire 2 months. We do all the work ourselves so having a 2-night reservation involves extra work for us. I do not feel like I am taking advantage of anyone...they don't have to stay here and the rates, including the extra $25/night are posted on our web site.
Kay Nein, we are a business, not a charity. We have worked very hard for 25 years building this business. We continue to work very hard every day to maintain the high standards our guests have come to expect. Our rates are in line with other desirable inns in the area but they are probably more expensive than most on this forum. We attract guests from several large metropolitan areas who can well afford an extra $25/night for a short stay in prime season. You have to do what you feel comfortable with. DH can not ask for the $25 so he does not take reservations. Me? I guess I'm just a heartless b#!@%!
wink_smile.gif

We don't just randomly charge extra for a weekend...unless it turns out to be a 2-night weekend in July and August when we have a 3-night minimum stay and are full, full, full for the entire 2 months. We do all the work ourselves so having a 2-night reservation involves extra work for us. I do not feel like I am taking advantage of anyone...they don't have to stay here and the rates, including the extra $25/night are posted on our web site.
Kay Nein, we are a business, not a charity. We have worked very hard for 25 years building this business. We continue to work very hard every day to maintain the high standards our guests have come to expect. Our rates are in line with other desirable inns in the area but they are probably more expensive than most on this forum. We attract guests from several large metropolitan areas who can well afford an extra $25/night for a short stay in prime season. You have to do what you feel comfortable with. DH can not ask for the $25 so he does not take reservations. Me? I guess I'm just a heartless b#!@%!
wink_smile.gif

I was struck by two salient points. It isn't random and our longevity depends on building our business every day.
These are hallmarks of successful inns- hardly heartless - most likely - smart.

we have this a lot for the busier conferences - 2 prases they seem to have trouble with
(1) we are full - "but I only want a single" sorry full means full
(2) sorry its a 4 night/3 night minimum - "oh but I only want 1".
I think I hate when I tell someone we are full and then they ask the rate.... there is no rate when there is no room!
Jon Sable said:
I think I hate when I tell someone we are full and then they ask the rate.... there is no rate when there is no room!
Ha, ha, new one... No availability tonight. Wants to know if it makes a difference in the lack of availability if they check in after 9.

we have this a lot for the busier conferences - 2 prases they seem to have trouble with
Jon Sable said:
Ha, ha, new one... No availability tonight. Wants to know if it makes a difference in the lack of availability if they check in after 9.
Not at all. You did want some roommates, right?

Jon Sable said:
Hammock

Jon Sable said:
How many people were they planning to share the bed with? Back in the old days the price was per person in the bed (and men shared beds with as many would fit in that bed).

Back