Which part of private property do you not understand?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A lady down the road has a B&B on the lake side. She has signs up saying private property and still people park on her drive and walk around her house so they can sit/walk on her beach..
There are three ways to get the message across to a parked car... you write them a "love note" on their car. Here are the three non-destructive but heart-stopping methods that teach them a lesson.
UHU stick & paper - Yes, you put glue stick on their windscreen and then stick the letter to it. It will come off, but not very easily... a lot of work.
Wet erase marker - When it dries, the way to get it off is with something wet, like windshield wiper fluid. Of course they think you used permanent marker on their windscreen.
Dry erase marker - It comes off easily when dry, just rub with a cloth Of course they think you used permanent marker on their windscreen.
Almost anyone who has ever had this done to them remember it and are afraid that someone will do it to them again.
we used to have a corner shop which had 3 spaces which also the family lived above and it was private parking - people who wern't even shopping there would just park whatever - he used to duct tape private parking signs to their windshields - does not come off easily!

We often have "rubber neckers" drive in our driveway to the end, turn around, and then drive out. We accost them if it is convenient, ask if they have any questions or if we can get them a brochure. Some don't stop to chat, though (rather rude, I think). They are not trying to go through our property to someplace else, but are just exploring. Of course, our driveway does show up as a road on Google Maps and many GPS systems, labelled "Our Name Rd." We don't have any signs saying "private" (except on our kitchen door), but a big sign out on the road identifying our business, and signs warning "caution children playing," "watch for children," and "slow!".
OnTheShore said:
We often have "rubber neckers" drive in our driveway to the end, turn around, and then drive out. We accost them if it is convenient, ask if they have any questions or if we can get them a brochure. Some don't stop to chat, though (rather rude, I think). They are not trying to go through our property to someplace else, but are just exploring. Of course, our driveway does show up as a road on Google Maps and many GPS systems, labelled "Our Name Rd." We don't have any signs saying "private" (except on our kitchen door), but a big sign out on the road identifying our business, and signs warning "caution children playing," "watch for children," and "slow!"
You do have a great view...

I feel a little better…. We just have people driving through…. walking thru…. Life doesn't seem so bad over here….
regular_smile.gif

Edited… As one guy who was cutting through said, "You're a B&B that makes it public property.".
Duff2014 said:
I feel a little better…. We just have people driving through…. walking thru…. Life doesn't seem so bad over here….
regular_smile.gif

Edited… As one guy who was cutting through said, "You're a B&B that makes it public property."
I'm not sure why the constant traffic of guests doesn't bother me, but when the neighbors drive though, I get upset.
I think that /\/\/\ is why.
TheBeachHouse said:
Duff2014 said:
regular_smile.gif

Edited… As one guy who was cutting through said, "You're a B&B that makes it public property."
I'm not sure why the constant traffic of guests doesn't bother me, but when the neighbors drive though, I get upset.
I think that /\/\/\ is why.
The guests are paying for the privilege to use your drive…. the others are trespassing. $$$ for the privilege to use this road!!!!!
wink_smile.gif
Ha! Ha!
regular_smile.gif

A lady down the road has a B&B on the lake side. She has signs up saying private property and still people park on her drive and walk around her house so they can sit/walk on her beach..
There are three ways to get the message across to a parked car... you write them a "love note" on their car. Here are the three non-destructive but heart-stopping methods that teach them a lesson.
UHU stick & paper - Yes, you put glue stick on their windscreen and then stick the letter to it. It will come off, but not very easily... a lot of work.
Wet erase marker - When it dries, the way to get it off is with something wet, like windshield wiper fluid. Of course they think you used permanent marker on their windscreen.
Dry erase marker - It comes off easily when dry, just rub with a cloth Of course they think you used permanent marker on their windscreen.
Almost anyone who has ever had this done to them remember it and are afraid that someone will do it to them again.
I once parked across the drive, totally blocking in the offending vehicle. When they returned from their walk in the park, they came knocking. It took me forever to get to the door because I was on my phone and it was a LONG call that I really had to finish before I could get out to move my car.
shades_smile.gif

We often have "rubber neckers" drive in our driveway to the end, turn around, and then drive out. We accost them if it is convenient, ask if they have any questions or if we can get them a brochure. Some don't stop to chat, though (rather rude, I think). They are not trying to go through our property to someplace else, but are just exploring. Of course, our driveway does show up as a road on Google Maps and many GPS systems, labelled "Our Name Rd." We don't have any signs saying "private" (except on our kitchen door), but a big sign out on the road identifying our business, and signs warning "caution children playing," "watch for children," and "slow!".
OnTheShore said:
We often have "rubber neckers" drive in our driveway to the end, turn around, and then drive out. We accost them if it is convenient, ask if they have any questions or if we can get them a brochure. Some don't stop to chat, though (rather rude, I think). They are not trying to go through our property to someplace else, but are just exploring. Of course, our driveway does show up as a road on Google Maps and many GPS systems, labelled "Our Name Rd." We don't have any signs saying "private" (except on our kitchen door), but a big sign out on the road identifying our business, and signs warning "caution children playing," "watch for children," and "slow!"
You do have a great view...
And sometimes, they come back to stay....

regular_smile.gif

Edited… As one guy who was cutting through said, "You're a B&B that makes it public property.".
I venture that at some point many of us have driven through a shopping center or mall parking area without being a customer on that day, not the same to us as our tiny business where we live, but to the general public we're just another business.
The families (several) of the folks that built our place still live behind the motel and have the right of access, over the years they have become friends and I've gotten more used to the traffic provided folks drive safely and are respectful.
Others from the neighborhood walk, bicycle or ride 4 wheelers or tractors across the shared drive behind the building and across another property I have next door on the way to the corner store. I'm not always thrilled with the idea, but even at 25 years, I'm still new to the neighborhood and it would be dangerous to walk the highway, okay, I'm also guilty as I walk through other parking lots to get to the drug store on the corner while avoiding the highway.

regular_smile.gif

I venture that at some point many of us have driven through a shopping center or mall parking area without being a customer on that day, not the same to us as our tiny business where we live, but to the general public we're just another business.
The families (several) of the folks that built our place still live behind the motel and have the right of access, over the years they have become friends and I've gotten more used to the traffic provided folks drive safely and are respectful.
Others from the neighborhood walk, bicycle or ride 4 wheelers or tractors across the shared drive behind the building and across another property I have next door on the way to the corner store. I'm not always thrilled with the idea, but even at 25 years, I'm still new to the neighborhood and it would be dangerous to walk the highway, okay, I'm also guilty as I walk through other parking lots to get to the drug store on the corner while avoiding the highway.
My neighbor's kids have been cutting thru my yard since we've been here. It really is shorter than going all the around the corner. Other locals used to sit on our lawn chairs waiting for the school bus.
I only got annoyed when the kids started to drive and their friends thought it was ok to park in my lot.
More annoying are the litterers and the dog walkers who leave a poop bag on my front lawn. Really, people? The idea is not to leave the bag behind!

regular_smile.gif

My neighbor's kids have been cutting thru my yard since we've been here. It really is shorter than going all the around the corner. Other locals used to sit on our lawn chairs waiting for the school bus.
I only got annoyed when the kids started to drive and their friends thought it was ok to park in my lot.
More annoying are the litterers and the dog walkers who leave a poop bag on my front lawn. Really, people? The idea is not to leave the bag behind!
I get annoyed with the parking thing and I personally am thinking about putting up warning we ticket type signs - my guests pay for the right to use my car park as town center parking is very rare here the chains charge up to $24 a day so that mine get it for free is a big draw so furious that people take the mik! we are running a business not a hobby!

regular_smile.gif

I get annoyed with the parking thing and I personally am thinking about putting up warning we ticket type signs - my guests pay for the right to use my car park as town center parking is very rare here the chains charge up to $24 a day so that mine get it for free is a big draw so furious that people take the mik! we are running a business not a hobby!
Put up signs that says registered guest only all others will be towed. When they check in, have them put down their license plate and have a local friend who tows cars swing by to check in.…. They'll park downtown after that. Maybe even a commission for sending him customers….. A new add on for you!!! Ha!!!! Ha!!! I'm not nice at all right now. Better eat something sweet…..
regular_smile.gif

regular_smile.gif

Put up signs that says registered guest only all others will be towed. When they check in, have them put down their license plate and have a local friend who tows cars swing by to check in.…. They'll park downtown after that. Maybe even a commission for sending him customers….. A new add on for you!!! Ha!!!! Ha!!! I'm not nice at all right now. Better eat something sweet…..
regular_smile.gif

It's hard to be nice all the time when people are chipping away at your hospitality from all directions.
confused_smile.gif

regular_smile.gif

regular_smile.gif

It's hard to be nice all the time when people are chipping away at your hospitality from all directions.
confused_smile.gif

and then they are all "the host seemed a bit grumpy! " you think?

regular_smile.gif

regular_smile.gif

confused_smile.gif

Highlands John said:
confused_smile.gif
Right now we have a squirrel that has decided that our private screen in porch is his!!!! Every morning we open the door from the house. He jumps out of the wicker chair and make a dash away through the door to the outside. He eats breakfast, lunch, and supper at our bird feeders. Drinks from the pool. Then he sunbathes in our driveway….

regular_smile.gif

regular_smile.gif

confused_smile.gif

Highlands John said:
confused_smile.gif
Right now we have a squirrel that has decided that our private screen in porch is his!!!! Every morning we open the door from the house. He jumps out of the wicker chair and make a dash away through the door to the outside. He eats breakfast, lunch, and supper at our bird feeders. Drinks from the pool. Then he sunbathes in our driveway….
LOL
We used to provide peanuts on our porch railing for a visiting squirrel, until the day we didn't get the peanuts out fast enough and he came in the house right past my feet and leapt up on the couch to scold us!
That plan backfired.
No more peanuts for him.

regular_smile.gif

regular_smile.gif

confused_smile.gif

Highlands John said:
confused_smile.gif
LOL
We used to provide peanuts on our porch railing for a visiting squirrel, until the day we didn't get the peanuts out fast enough and he came in the house right past my feet and leapt up on the couch to scold us!
That plan backfired.
No more peanuts for him.
We take care of those pesky squirrels with a shotgun. They are just too destructive around here.
we are now being overrun by rabbits... They are so cute I can't let my husband kill them but they have dessimated my lilies this year so we may start using the shotgun on them too
devil_smile.gif

We have people walk in and walkaround our property all the time. Also drive in. Our house is 110 years old and has a lot of local history.Our favorite walk ins, asked if they could go in the back yard. We said sure . They told us that the former owner, his first wife and Mom were. Sprinkled there and they wanted to say hello. Fine with us. Another walkin was a couple who got married in our gazebo. And of course we had the family walk in and the Mom was crying because she use to vacation with her family here as a child. We gave her a tour. We are quite use to it now after 3 years!❤️

We have people walk in and walkaround our property all the time. Also drive in. Our house is 110 years old and has a lot of local history.Our favorite walk ins, asked if they could go in the back yard. We said sure . They told us that the former owner, his first wife and Mom were. Sprinkled there and they wanted to say hello. Fine with us. Another walkin was a couple who got married in our gazebo. And of course we had the family walk in and the Mom was crying because she use to vacation with her family here as a child. We gave her a tour. We are quite use to it now after 3 years!❤️

regular_smile.gif

regular_smile.gif

confused_smile.gif

Highlands John said:
confused_smile.gif
LOL
That plan backfired.
No more peanuts for him.
We take care of those pesky squirrels with a shotgun. They are just too destructive around here.
we are now being overrun by rabbits... They are so cute I can't let my husband kill them but they have dessimated my lilies this year so we may start using the shotgun on them too
devil_smile.gif

Rabbits are tasty. Just sayin'
wink_smile.gif

regular_smile.gif

regular_smile.gif

confused_smile.gif

Highlands John said:
confused_smile.gif
LOL
That plan backfired.
No more peanuts for him.
devil_smile.gif

Rabbits are tasty. Just sayin'
wink_smile.gif

not full of lead shot lol

Last week a vehicle pulled in and parked, we weren't expecting any checkins. A few minute later a loud pickup pulled in (mind you our driveway is over a 1/4 mile long) and parked beside it. They got out and were talking and then the kid was exchanged. When he started his pickup he loudly revved the engine so I went out and asked if I could help them. He said he was picking up his kid for the weekend then he honked the horn and sped out. Yes he was an azzhole!!!! These two parents could have swapped the kid at the local school parking lot, the huge golf course parking lot, the pull off along the river just down the road. Nope, they chose to drive down my winding driveway and do it in front of my building … husband is going out next time to tell them to use one of the public parking areas, not my B&B lot.

Back