Who would do this?!?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
don't get me started - 1 bathrooms!!!! weird smell on and off - can't tell where it is coming from I think its next door but it may be that the toilet is creating a sort of vacume when it flushes which pulls the water out of the traps for the sink and bath which then lets the smell out of the drains - also bath has personal shower head and overhead shower - over head is doing 10 seconds fine then off - been chasing the plumber about fixing it but as we have the other attachment its been manageable but currant couple combined with slight smell are kicking off - great - plumber coming tomorrow..
Do you have any drains that haven't been used in awhile? Sink in the laundry room? Anything like that? We found we were getting that sewer smell in one guest room but it was because the sink in the laundry room is never used. Now we run water in it every few months to fill the trap up again so the problem doesn't return.
Certainly sounds like you're losing the water somewhere.
Yes, we have the same thing in the back of the house when no one uses two of the bedrooms and a powder room for months at a time. Running water down the drains is the answer and fixes it for another couple of months.

don't get me started - 1 bathrooms!!!! weird smell on and off - can't tell where it is coming from I think its next door but it may be that the toilet is creating a sort of vacume when it flushes which pulls the water out of the traps for the sink and bath which then lets the smell out of the drains - also bath has personal shower head and overhead shower - over head is doing 10 seconds fine then off - been chasing the plumber about fixing it but as we have the other attachment its been manageable but currant couple combined with slight smell are kicking off - great - plumber coming tomorrow..
Do you have any drains that haven't been used in awhile? Sink in the laundry room? Anything like that? We found we were getting that sewer smell in one guest room but it was because the sink in the laundry room is never used. Now we run water in it every few months to fill the trap up again so the problem doesn't return.
Yes, we have the same thing in the back of the house when no one uses two of the bedrooms and a powder room for months at a time. Running water down the drains is the answer and fixes it for another couple of months.
sort of the same thing but not the same cause - put in a new bathroom with roll top bath - apparently there is a problem with the trap supplied its making a sort of air pocket so that when the toilet is flushed it pulls all the water out of the bath trap with it - so as long as you run the shower after you flush the toilet no problem so that's why it comes and goes - need a new type of trap putting on which will not be as attractive but will solve the problem. Plumber coming on monday to deal - just tired of the ongoing hassel i have had with this bathroom!

sort of the same thing but not the same cause - put in a new bathroom with roll top bath - apparently there is a problem with the trap supplied its making a sort of air pocket so that when the toilet is flushed it pulls all the water out of the bath trap with it - so as long as you run the shower after you flush the toilet no problem so that's why it comes and goes - need a new type of trap putting on which will not be as attractive but will solve the problem. Plumber coming on monday to deal - just tired of the ongoing hassel i have had with this bathroom!

I had a framer working here who reacted to any observations about his work with, "Well, I can't see it from my house!" Really? How about you want to do the job right and how I want it since I'm writing the big checks to you?!
angry_smile.gif

Best of luck with the rest of the job... I have felt your pain more than once!

Our smelly problem had to do with a combination of septic tank, high winds and no water in the traps. For some reason, the high winds would suck push the water from the traps from the vents in the roof. But, we've been busier lately so it hasn't happened in awhile--even with our massive high winds. Our guy says that some valve can be installed in the main pipe that leads to the septic.
I can't pretend to understand why this makes a difference, but apparently it will. We'll install it when it quiets down a bit.

Our smelly problem had to do with a combination of septic tank, high winds and no water in the traps. For some reason, the high winds would suck push the water from the traps from the vents in the roof. But, we've been busier lately so it hasn't happened in awhile--even with our massive high winds. Our guy says that some valve can be installed in the main pipe that leads to the septic.
I can't pretend to understand why this makes a difference, but apparently it will. We'll install it when it quiets down a bit..
plumber coming tomorrow to put in a different trap with special valve -should solve the problem - lets hope

I'm thankful that DH will do ours. He's my Groundskeeper Willie--my go to man!

Back