Why guests fail to mention allergies

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
By the way I discovered the ENTIRE ISSUE right here:
[h3]
"Breakfast is served daily 8:30-9:30 am" Copperhead[/h3]
[h3]
"Breakfast is served from 8 AM to 9:30 AM in the sun room." Maddie[/h3].
We have a similar time range but state it as "Breakfast seatings available at 8:00, 8:30 or 9:00"
It helps us to coordinate use of the griddle and oven to have discrete seating times. And I think it subtly implies that it's not a self-serve buffet.
tedwin said:
We have a similar time range but state it as "Breakfast seatings available at 8:00, 8:30 or 9:00"
It helps us to coordinate use of the griddle and oven to have discrete seating times. And I think it subtly implies that it's not a self-serve buffet.
I like that Tedwin.
I have told the story many moons ago in Costa Rica, the B&B had a sing up sheet with time slots, you put your name on one, plain and simple. 1/2 increments. They would service you a fresh fruit smoothie first. It worked out great. They had extra tables, but left one or two for those who lingered over coffee or conversation when the next round came in.
They said sign up, and left it to you. You can do it then or later. If you didn't get the one you wanted, oh well, take another... We stress over this too much, me thinks.

[h3]
[h3]
tedwin said:
I'm not as fancy a chef as you are, tedwin
wink_smile.gif
. Maybe something like 'you may be seated for breakfast service between 8:30 and 9:30 a.m'. It's the seating that implies it's not a buffet, as well as the service.
muirford said:
tedwin said:
wink_smile.gif
. Maybe something like 'you may be seated for breakfast service between 8:30 and 9:30 a.m'. It's the seating that implies it's not a buffet, as well as the service.
We have a bit of a problem with the actual sitting part. Yesterday we had guests arrive at breakfast at 9:15. They got coffee and immediately sat down in the comfy chairs to chat with DH. I was glaring at him because he was sitting there with them. HELLO! We don't have time for a natter right now. Get the food out and THEN chat.
But this happens a lot. Guests sit down with coffee in the living room and then won't budge. 'Oh, we're not ready yet, we're just enjoying our coffee! We'll be in in an hour.' Spare me.
So, I leave them there. Then, when the other 6 rooms arrive, all of a sudden the coffee hour is over and they are running for a table.
That's what I need to get down better. How to get them to sit at a table so we can serve them! Some think it's like a restaurant and they're supposed to wait for me to seat them. I just never know what someone is thinking.
If I encourage them to sit they tell me they're not ready. If I don't mention it and the next guest snags the table they're upset they didn't know the rules!

Perhaps the breakfast tables is another reason. Smaller tables vs a larger one. Or the way you say it to them, or not say it. There are so many variables. And then the "they aren't THAT allergic" to whatever it is. Like my Gluten Free gal who sat down and dove into an obv GLUTEN starter. Oh, is there gluten in this? she said.
a real allergy wouldn't dare touch anything without asking or telling.
I would think one table means we all eat at the same time. Because who wants to sit down at a table with dishes on it because someone just got up and no one has come to clear yet.
Altho, with our separate tables we still get that with guests grabbing a table that has barely been vacated. I hate that. I end up brushing crumbs into their laps.

[h3]
[h3]
tedwin said:
wink_smile.gif
muirford said:
tedwin said:
wink_smile.gif
We have a bit of a problem with the actual sitting part. Yesterday we had guests arrive at breakfast at 9:15. They got coffee and immediately sat down in the comfy chairs to chat with DH. I was glaring at him because he was sitting there with them. HELLO! We don't have time for a natter right now. Get the food out and THEN chat.
But this happens a lot. Guests sit down with coffee in the living room and then won't budge. 'Oh, we're not ready yet, we're just enjoying our coffee! We'll be in in an hour.' Spare me.
So, I leave them there. Then, when the other 6 rooms arrive, all of a sudden the coffee hour is over and they are running for a table.
That's what I need to get down better. How to get them to sit at a table so we can serve them! Some think it's like a restaurant and they're supposed to wait for me to seat them. I just never know what someone is thinking.
If I encourage them to sit they tell me they're not ready. If I don't mention it and the next guest snags the table they're upset they didn't know the rules!
Our coffee is in the dining room. If I see someone getting coffee around the sit-down time, I'll go ahead and start putting out the fruit dishes and the muffins. So, every setting already has food ready for them to sit and enjoy. That gets them picking their seats pretty quickly. And as soon as others hear the clang of silverware, they usually all start trickling in.

Perhaps the breakfast tables is another reason. Smaller tables vs a larger one. Or the way you say it to them, or not say it. There are so many variables. And then the "they aren't THAT allergic" to whatever it is. Like my Gluten Free gal who sat down and dove into an obv GLUTEN starter. Oh, is there gluten in this? she said.
a real allergy wouldn't dare touch anything without asking or telling.
I would think one table means we all eat at the same time. Because who wants to sit down at a table with dishes on it because someone just got up and no one has come to clear yet.
Altho, with our separate tables we still get that with guests grabbing a table that has barely been vacated. I hate that. I end up brushing crumbs into their laps.
Madeleine said:
That happens, sometimes. If the timing is so bad that someone is sitting when others are leaving and we haven't got their plates yet. Happened this morning when we served an early breakfast for some bikers and another couple sat just as they were leaving. They could have sat in the other dining room, with all clean place settings but they didn't. We got them started and cleared the other places. No one seems to get too excited, although of course, I don't know what they don't tell me. We have enough space that everyone can sit at a clean setting, so we don't have to clear and replace immediately for new folks.
Two tables but one per dining room. It is what it is. I explain about the seating times so no one seems too confused about that part, and it's infrequent that they think buffet. I'd like one big dining room, but if I didn't have them split the way they are, I'd have no downstairs half bath. On the whole, I'd rather have the semi-public bathroom.

[h3]
[h3]
tedwin said:
wink_smile.gif
muirford said:
tedwin said:
wink_smile.gif
Coffee is served at the table. The cups are NEVER to leave the dining room. Oh, you want a cup to go? Sure, here's one. I assume that means you don't want breakfast. On you want breakfast, then sit down and the coffee is at the table. Nope, you can't have it both ways.

I wasn't going to read this thread because allergies are really not an issue for us.
Then last night a couple booked in, 10 minutes later they are down saying He has a feather allergy so they want all their bedding changed. (Our duvets and pillows are feather). They were nice enough about it, but she said "He always does this, forgets to tell people ahead of time". Oh great.

[h3]
[h3]
tedwin said:
wink_smile.gif
muirford said:
tedwin said:
wink_smile.gif
Coffee is served at the table. The cups are NEVER to leave the dining room. Oh, you want a cup to go? Sure, here's one. I assume that means you don't want breakfast. On you want breakfast, then sit down and the coffee is at the table. Nope, you can't have it both ways.
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Coffee is always going back to the rooms or outside for a cig or to the front porch. We start coffee at 7 and sometimes are on the 3rd pot by the time breakfast is being served.

Got this today on a rez and it made me chuckle:
"wife allergic to tomatoes, raspberries, mustard, and feathers"

Back