Why we don't buy local fruit

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We brand ourselves as locally sourced, so if we can get it local, we get it local. Sometimes I have to close my eyes when I walk by the price sign. You don't want to know what we pay. On the other hand, getting locally sourced produce is sooooooo superior to stuff an ocean away that it just makes sense. Picked ripe and fresh.
That said, there are some things that can't be grown here. We mix those in when Cos co brings them in..
We have a group of self-proclaimed foodies here. They saw me with that half pint of berries and raved about breakfast today and how much better local fruit is.
None of their breakfast fruit was even grown in this country much less this state.
To have served 15 guests local fruit would have cost way too much and it kind of proved the perception over reality thing.
They saw the fruit, therefore I served that fruit.
I wish I could turn a blind eye to price. Obviously we do turn somewhat of a blind eye to price because we serve fruit at all. If I seriously wanted to save money it would be muffins and scones everyday.
It's tough living on the fringes.

Here's mine :
Note: 1 pound = 2.2kg Approx AUD $1 = .90 US
Blueberrys $37.60kg Lemon .52c each
Strawberrys $13.29kg Banana .36c each
Carrot .34c each Cauliflower $5.98 each
Corn $1.20 each Cucumber $2.48 each
If I want to travel to the nearest city several 1000's kms away Unleaded fuel $1.73 per litre.
( 1 litre is 2.1134US pt lqd).
Kakadu Australia said:
Here's mine :
Note: 1 pound = 2.2kg Approx AUD $1 = .90 US
Blueberrys $37.60kg Lemon .52c each
Strawberrys $13.29kg Banana .36c each
Carrot .34c each Cauliflower $5.98 each
Corn $1.20 each Cucumber $2.48 each
If I want to travel to the nearest city several 1000's kms away Unleaded fuel $1.73 per litre.
( 1 litre is 2.1134US pt lqd)
And I thought OUR prices were high. Bananas = 59 cents per pound
lettuce is anywhere from 99 cents to $1.89 per head
Cauliflower is $2.99 to $3.99 per head depending on store and sale
Carrots = 79 cents per pound usually
in season cucumbers are 3 for $1 out of season $1 each
Prices here depend on season, loss leader, sale.......
Gas is back down a bit - currently $3.499 per gallon but was as much as $3.939 for a while

We brand ourselves as locally sourced, so if we can get it local, we get it local. Sometimes I have to close my eyes when I walk by the price sign. You don't want to know what we pay. On the other hand, getting locally sourced produce is sooooooo superior to stuff an ocean away that it just makes sense. Picked ripe and fresh.
That said, there are some things that can't be grown here. We mix those in when Cos co brings them in..
We have a group of self-proclaimed foodies here. They saw me with that half pint of berries and raved about breakfast today and how much better local fruit is.
None of their breakfast fruit was even grown in this country much less this state.
To have served 15 guests local fruit would have cost way too much and it kind of proved the perception over reality thing.
They saw the fruit, therefore I served that fruit.
I wish I could turn a blind eye to price. Obviously we do turn somewhat of a blind eye to price because we serve fruit at all. If I seriously wanted to save money it would be muffins and scones everyday.
It's tough living on the fringes.
It's an easier road for us because a lot of what we get is competitive enough to make sense. Since everything has to be sent so far, we don't get that many cheap things as loss leaders. Plus, our location means guests understand that our rates are going to be higher than (insert any other state)

I was thinking of this thread when I bought blueberries and strawberries yesterday and saw the handful of blackberries for $4.99 (not even enough for me to eat as a snack).

I was thinking of this thread when I bought blueberries and strawberries yesterday and saw the handful of blackberries for $4.99 (not even enough for me to eat as a snack)..
We get Blackberries from Mexico and use them more often in the winter, they stay a lot longer than most of the other berries. And are still relatively cheap in the winter for some reason.

Back