Wine sales...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The license in WV was not expensive - $125 per year i think - and I considered it. I do not remember any of the requirements other than what stopped me - I had to do a drawing showing the location where it would be stored. And I think it had to be a secured location. Could not figure out where that could be so dropped it. The grocery sells wine (even some good stuff - as in not Ripple or Boone's Farm) and that is 2 minutes away. I supply wine glasses often - and cork puller also when they find it is not a screw-top bottle..
We have a cork screw in every room and wine glasses available.

The license in WV was not expensive - $125 per year i think - and I considered it. I do not remember any of the requirements other than what stopped me - I had to do a drawing showing the location where it would be stored. And I think it had to be a secured location. Could not figure out where that could be so dropped it. The grocery sells wine (even some good stuff - as in not Ripple or Boone's Farm) and that is 2 minutes away. I supply wine glasses often - and cork puller also when they find it is not a screw-top bottle..
We have a cork screw in every room and wine glasses available.
we got cork screws free from Amex - give them away free to anyone who wants one - free from the merchant section on the web site.

What kind of guests will this attract or turn away? Is this the kind you want or don't want? Also how will this effect your family? Your neighborhood?.
For the most part we only have couples staying here and no children. We have never had any issues with people getting out of line with drinking. Nothing will really change except maybe making a little off of a few bottles here and there. The family sees it all the time when we clean rooms. Nothing will change with the neighborhood. We do not envision opening a bar. Just deliver a bottle when requested.
we sell a pkg. of cheese tray and 2 glass of wine. Some times I think I could change it to cheese and cold meats nuts and some fruit. Cost depends on what cheese I can find.and what fruits are available . we make our own wine which helps with cost.

Thank you everyone for giving advice. There is a lot to think about. We might give it a try for a year and see how it goes. There are a lot of wineries in out area and I was thinking if just having local selection. I see a lot of people come and check in and then leave to run to the store. They like to hangout on the porches or sit by the waterfall and have a glass of wine. I was just thinking dollar signs for something very easy. I like the idea of checking in early for some wine and cheese. I could also have sparkling grape juice for those who do not drink. We are thinking of adding an outdoor covered living room with fireplace and I could see this as a nice place for couples to relax. Might be a good place when the weather is nice to host this. Thank you all for your advice!.
The other thought is to check with your insurance agency. I know many insurance agencies will raise your rates if you sell alcohol.
We don't sell it, but we allow our guests to bring a bottle of wine with them if they'd like.

Back