Y'all, youse and you guys...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's kind of fun to see how your responses line up with the averages across the country. There were a few where I do not have a word for that. Like the grassy strip between the sidewalk and the road. It's just 'the grassy strip between the sidewalk and the road'. (Or, the shortened version 'grassy strip'.) We didn't have grassy areas where I grew up so did not need a word for it.
I interchange 'rotary' and 'roundabout' NOW but that's because I went to Ireland and loved the word 'roundabout' so I use it now. But if you asked me quick? It's rotary.
And, have to ask...who has the small road that runs along the highway? Is that a thing? What is the purpose? Around here any road running parallel to the highway is just another road..
LOL! I can identify with what you are saying! No name for grassy strip between road and side walk because there have rarely been sidewalks in the rural areas I am from. And how about the little bug that curls up when you touch it. WHAT? I have no idea what that might be!
omg_smile.gif

Rotary is standard fare here...we love to watch visitors from other parts of the country try to negotiate them during the summer...takes 2 or three times around before some of them figure out how to get off!
But "sneakers", "grinders", and "lightening bugs"? Now those are terms we know!
I was torn between subs and heros. And, as I'm typing here, Google did not recognize either of them as valid words!
I remember that bug from To Kill a Mockingbird but that's it. At first I thought they meant wooly bears but they aren't gray.
DH often asks how I get certain words when I don't know them at all... Context. Plus I read a lot.
Madeleine said:
I was torn between subs and heros. And, as I'm typing here, Google did not recognize either of them as valid words!
I remember that bug from To Kill a Mockingbird but that's it. At first I thought they meant wooly bears but they aren't gray.
DH often asks how I get certain words when I don't know them at all... Context. Plus I read a lot.
Well yeah see that is the thing, we have plenty of other terms, torpedo sandwiches, submarine sandwiches, heros, grinders, etc. We are all too well versed to be from one area alone now-a-days.
Another one they didn't take on is the ice cream drink...
  • Milk shake?
  • Frappe?
  • Malted?

It's kind of fun to see how your responses line up with the averages across the country. There were a few where I do not have a word for that. Like the grassy strip between the sidewalk and the road. It's just 'the grassy strip between the sidewalk and the road'. (Or, the shortened version 'grassy strip'.) We didn't have grassy areas where I grew up so did not need a word for it.
I interchange 'rotary' and 'roundabout' NOW but that's because I went to Ireland and loved the word 'roundabout' so I use it now. But if you asked me quick? It's rotary.
And, have to ask...who has the small road that runs along the highway? Is that a thing? What is the purpose? Around here any road running parallel to the highway is just another road..
LOL! I can identify with what you are saying! No name for grassy strip between road and side walk because there have rarely been sidewalks in the rural areas I am from. And how about the little bug that curls up when you touch it. WHAT? I have no idea what that might be!
omg_smile.gif

Rotary is standard fare here...we love to watch visitors from other parts of the country try to negotiate them during the summer...takes 2 or three times around before some of them figure out how to get off!
Madeleine said:
Well yeah see that is the thing, we have plenty of other terms, torpedo sandwiches, submarine sandwiches, heros, grinders, etc. We are all too well versed to be from one area alone now-a-days.
  • Milk shake?
  • Frappe?
  • Malted?
or Black Cow

omg_smile.gif

Madeleine said:
  • Milk shake?
  • Frappe?
  • Malted?
egg cream?

i am right on target. interesting, we USED to say tonic but it's given way to soda.

Somebody British told me "chemist" is becoming "pharmacist" in the UK.
Social media and the Internet are killing our wonderful differences. We were NEVER intended to know that anybody called a soda "tonic"!!!

Social media and the Internet are killing our wonderful differences. We were NEVER intended to know that anybody called a soda "tonic"!!!.
In another way, we are preserving language as well. Tucking words away that we like and using them when others have stopped.
What's worse, I think, is losing accents. And whole dialects.

Social media and the Internet are killing our wonderful differences. We were NEVER intended to know that anybody called a soda "tonic"!!!.
In another way, we are preserving language as well. Tucking words away that we like and using them when others have stopped.
Madeleine said:
So true.

Back