Your most popular or most requested breakfast item?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gillum, give them a try. I never have pancakes at home unless company comes
I have a whole variety of change ups ... blueberry, banana, apple (I use apple pie filling), maple walnut, butter pecan, chocolate chip ... can get creative with what you've got on hand. A little more complicated is pumpkin (just add pumpkin puree, pumpkin pie spice and brown sugar - requires a bit longer and slower to cook) and eggnog (substitute sweet eggnog for milk in recipe) I don't have a chocolate pancake that I'm happy with yet. You and he should have pancakes for supper sometime so you can experiment.

Gillum, I didn't make pancakes until someone asked if we might have them one morning. And asked about blueberry as I was serving up blueberry pie in the evening. So I said sure. I had never made them before and they were easy ... I had two griddles going and just before flipping dropped a few blueberries on each one. Such raves! I think it might be a Maine thing. Something like 1/4 of US blueberries are grown there. Easier for me than the waffles. I thought I was being very slow making and plating and serving, but they were patiently waiting. You never know!.
seashanty said:
Gillum, I didn't make pancakes until someone asked if we might have them one morning. And asked about blueberry as I was serving up blueberry pie in the evening. So I said sure. I had never made them before and they were easy ... I had two griddles going and just before flipping dropped a few blueberries on each one. Such raves! I think it might be a Maine thing. Something like 1/4 of US blueberries are grown there. Easier for me than the waffles. I thought I was being very slow making and plating and serving, but they were patiently waiting. You never know!
i am not trying to double check your facts, but i had to, as i have never had blueberries from maine that were not "wild blueberries" here is what the first google search revealed:
"Blueberry bushes can pop up all over the U.S., and while 38 states grow blueberries, ten states account for more than 98% of U.S. commercial production (listed in order of volume): Michigan, Oregon, Washington, Georgia, New Jersey, California, North Carolina, Florida, Mississippi and Indiana."
Maine is not even on the top ten list.
Where Blueberries Grow - U.S. Highbush Blueberry Council
www.blueberrycouncil.org/growing-blueberries/where-blueberries-grow/
We use blueberries here and we have the eitherhate them or love them factions. How someone could hate a wonderul, blueberr is beyond me,i am with your guests, I love them.

Gillum, I didn't make pancakes until someone asked if we might have them one morning. And asked about blueberry as I was serving up blueberry pie in the evening. So I said sure. I had never made them before and they were easy ... I had two griddles going and just before flipping dropped a few blueberries on each one. Such raves! I think it might be a Maine thing. Something like 1/4 of US blueberries are grown there. Easier for me than the waffles. I thought I was being very slow making and plating and serving, but they were patiently waiting. You never know!.
Considering the cost of eggs, I just may start making pancakes again. I can get blueberries all the time at a "reasonable" cost. I also have a Walnut-Oatmeal recipe that is great. And now that I have a syrup source again..... Really, though, I thought of pancakes as what people had on weekends at home. Even my boys knew the recipe for making pancakes (from scratch, not mix) without getting out the cookbook.
gillumhouse said:
Considering the cost of eggs, I just may start making pancakes again. I can get blueberries all the time at a "reasonable" cost. I also have a Walnut-Oatmeal recipe that is great. And now that I have a syrup source again..... Really, though, I thought of pancakes as what people had on weekends at home. Even my boys knew the recipe for making pancakes (from scratch, not mix) without getting out the cookbook.
if you do, give them protein as well, it is hard to have pancakes without eggs an bacon! Yes, bacon never goes out of style.

Gillum, give them a try. I never have pancakes at home unless company comes
I have a whole variety of change ups ... blueberry, banana, apple (I use apple pie filling), maple walnut, butter pecan, chocolate chip ... can get creative with what you've got on hand. A little more complicated is pumpkin (just add pumpkin puree, pumpkin pie spice and brown sugar - requires a bit longer and slower to cook) and eggnog (substitute sweet eggnog for milk in recipe) I don't have a chocolate pancake that I'm happy with yet. You and he should have pancakes for supper sometime so you can experiment..
I have made them over the years with different things in them, just got out of the habit when my syrup-producing sisters decided to quit making syrup and I no longer had a source. Now I found some in my home territory that I am able to arrange pick-up from when I am up there or they are passing through here or we are at a Conference together so there is no shipping charges. Works great and they give me a 10% discount I did not even ask for. Pancakes are on the menu again.

No need for blueberries... here's a few ideas.... lemon & poppy seed pancakes, pumpkin pancakes with cinnamon and nutmeg, plain with caramelized apples, banana pancakes, chocolate pancakes (or add red food dye and make red velvet pancakes.)
I'm sure you can come up with some others based on what's available locally. You can also make a flavoured syrup to go with them, like buttermilk for the pumpkin or vanilla for the chocolate, not to mention raspberry for lemon. :)

gillumhouse said:
if you do, give them protein as well, it is hard to have pancakes without eggs an bacon! Yes, bacon never goes out of style.
Funny, we got one critique this year about that... but at least 25% of our guests are vegetarian, pork, meat-free.

seashanty said:
Gillum, I didn't make pancakes until someone asked if we might have them one morning. And asked about blueberry as I was serving up blueberry pie in the evening. So I said sure. I had never made them before and they were easy ... I had two griddles going and just before flipping dropped a few blueberries on each one. Such raves! I think it might be a Maine thing. Something like 1/4 of US blueberries are grown there. Easier for me than the waffles. I thought I was being very slow making and plating and serving, but they were patiently waiting. You never know!
i am not trying to double check your facts, but i had to, as i have never had blueberries from maine that were not "wild blueberries" here is what the first google search revealed:
"Blueberry bushes can pop up all over the U.S., and while 38 states grow blueberries, ten states account for more than 98% of U.S. commercial production (listed in order of volume): Michigan, Oregon, Washington, Georgia, New Jersey, California, North Carolina, Florida, Mississippi and Indiana."
We use blueberries here and we have the eitherhate them or love them factions. How someone could hate a wonderul, blueberr is beyond me,i am with your guests, I love them.
W also love blueberries. And with luck, in about 3 years I will have my own to pick. I even have one bush that will produce pink blueberries. And I will have them all summer since some are June, some July, and some August. Same rotation with my blackberries. Took me a while to figure out where to plant them - we have been talking about it for years but the question was where. Now with the hedges gone, it was a no-brainer.

gillumhouse said:
ALWAYS bacon. Even the Baked Oatmeal gets bacon unless I have those silly rabbits for guests - the ones who do not eat REAL food (like Himself). We joke that I eat the food, he eats the cardboard it came in.

gillumhouse said:
Funny, we got one critique this year about that... but at least 25% of our guests are vegetarian, pork, meat-free.
Generic said:
Wait, at least 25%? That means 75% aren't.
I thought you had a higher percent than that. We have at least that too, let them suffer without MEAT the main draw of any and every meal...
KEEP CALM
and
EAT BACON

seashanty said:
Maybe it's the low bush blueberries that grow better in Maine. Tiny blueberries, not the big ones. That's what we put in pancakes. A heaping tablespoon or more per pancake. We buy them frozen.
I made jam with the high bush version. Can't give it away. It's homemade and guests ask for the HFCS strawberry from the grocery store. I figured it would be gone by now. I've used one pint in a month. Not that it's the blueberries I used, it's just that guests don't seem to want blueberry jam. That's just crazy talk!

And maple syrup! People would ask "what is this Maine maple syrup? Doesn't all the best maple syrup come from Vermont? "

gillumhouse said:
Generic said:
Ditto here. We've saved so much by not precooking the sausage as we used to do. Bacon has to get done early because it takes too much attention but I don't mind eating leftover bacon for lunch.
We can sometimes sell the veggie sausage just so we have an option. I think I could serve turkey sausage and get some takers on that.

Morticia, that is crazy! I love homemade jam
heart.gif

And maple syrup! People would ask "what is this Maine maple syrup? Doesn't all the best maple syrup come from Vermont? ".
seashanty said:
And maple syrup! People would ask "what is this Maine maple syrup? Doesn't all the best maple syrup come from Vermont? "
I state quite clearly where the syrup comes from!

gillumhouse said:
Generic said:
Wait, at least 25%? That means 75% aren't.
I thought you had a higher percent than that. We have at least that too, let them suffer without MEAT the main draw of any and every meal...
KEEP CALM
and
EAT BACON
Too much hassle ensuring that it doesn't touch anything... easier to skip. I have had just one complaint in all my years.

Anything blueberry really. I have them growing behind the house and down the hill to the water. We had so many this year I couldn't pick them all. It killed me.
I have a repeat that always asks for my individual blueberry crisp. She could eat it every morning. When I can, I mix it with some partridge berries. I can pick those now even until the snow flies. People here will pick those in the new year when they're frozen. I just try and pick a small container every day until I have what I need.
I do have one bluberry muffin recipe that guests will email me about because they keep thinking about them after they've returned home
regular_smile.gif

Our traditional meaty English Colonial breakfast
Black Pudding served with eggs, and your choice of a small grilled sirloin steak with grilled root vegetables or bangers with fried mash potato cakes

Back