Your thoughts on Indoor Google Streetview?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Still on the fence about this, of course, but what about a bright inviting website with large photos? I think that would be first priority. In our biz it is always difficult to gauge the responsiveness of our online presence due to so many factors.
Like the chap who was trying to get business guests, when the main header images show bubble bath, champagne and roses. Sometimes the answer is right in front of us, and we can't see the forest through the trees.
Or having holiday photos year-round, as beautiful as they may be, and we KNOW they are stunning, year round is not ideal for a website. Just before the holidays, yes!
I do believe they create an amazing 360 tour, super high rez photos and more. I just am not certain I wish to be "exposed" in this way.
I know another inn on this forum who has a beautiful google streetview on their website as well. So I am not anti them, at all.

Still on the fence about this, of course, but what about a bright inviting website with large photos? I think that would be first priority. In our biz it is always difficult to gauge the responsiveness of our online presence due to so many factors.
Like the chap who was trying to get business guests, when the main header images show bubble bath, champagne and roses. Sometimes the answer is right in front of us, and we can't see the forest through the trees.
Or having holiday photos year-round, as beautiful as they may be, and we KNOW they are stunning, year round is not ideal for a website. Just before the holidays, yes!
I do believe they create an amazing 360 tour, super high rez photos and more. I just am not certain I wish to be "exposed" in this way.
I know another inn on this forum who has a beautiful google streetview on their website as well. So I am not anti them, at all..
one problem I had was looking at it on my tablet. not a good experience. will have to look at my desktop befoe I decide.
agree with JB an up to date responsive website says so much more ro me. an old style site is a turn off for me.

Have posted this before: We have had Google Indoor Street View since February 2013 and it has made a HUGE impact with our guests and occupancy. It appears subtlety in Google Search results, but the prime benefit is that you can segment it and add 360 degree Virtual tours to your website. We have a Virtual Tour Web Page that links to a House Tour and an outside Garden Tour. The best benefit is that we are also able to create a page for each room with its own 360 degree virtual tour. Guests are constantly remarking how wonderful this is. The photography is very high quality and only took several hours for the very professional authorized Google photographers to do it. For a mere $1200 one time fee, we have spent our most valuable and wisest advertising dollars ever..
Momma Smurf said:
Have posted this before: We have had Google Indoor Street View since February 2013 and it has made a HUGE impact with our guests and occupancy. It appears subtlety in Google Search results, but the prime benefit is that you can segment it and add 360 degree Virtual tours to your website. We have a Virtual Tour Web Page that links to a House Tour and an outside Garden Tour. The best benefit is that we are also able to create a page for each room with its own 360 degree virtual tour. Guests are constantly remarking how wonderful this is. The photography is very high quality and only took several hours for the very professional authorized Google photographers to do it. For a mere $1200 one time fee, we have spent our most valuable and wisest advertising dollars ever.
Always good to keep an open mind with new products. Glad you shared this info. Do you attribute a certain % increase in occupancy since this feature was added to your listing/website?
This is our 9th season. Bookings were up 10% last year and now are up another 10% for 2014. And they come in much earlier AND for longer stays. First two years we haven't had to worry about cash flow! Also, I do agree abiyt leaving such to the imagination, but at the same time those who rave about the Virtual Tour, still get here and say it's even better in person, because film cannot capture the spaciousness and intricacies of the inn. AND we rarely ever get anyone who says we are not what they expected, has really weeded out the PITAs the past few years. We get the folks that get us and our sense of style. No disappointments. Re security: our front door is locked at all times and our guests are told during orientation to please not let anyone in who does not have a key. So guests also feel secure here.
Momma Smurf said:
This is our 9th season. Bookings were up 10% last year and now are up another 10% for 2014. And they come in much earlier AND for longer stays. First two years we haven't had to worry about cash flow! Also, I do agree abiyt leaving such to the imagination, but at the same time those who rave about the Virtual Tour, still get here and say it's even better in person, because film cannot capture the spaciousness and intricacies of the inn. AND we rarely ever get anyone who says we are not what they expected, has really weeded out the PITAs the past few years. We get the folks that get us and our sense of style. No disappointments. Re security: our front door is locked at all times and our guests are told during orientation to please not let anyone in who does not have a key. So guests also feel secure here.
Maffir, for one, wishes that worked! I believe JB has also had an experience with that concept.

I know another inn on this forum who has a beautiful google streetview on their website as well. So I am not anti them, at all..
one problem I had was looking at it on my tablet. not a good experience. will have to look at my desktop befoe I decide.
agree with JB an up to date responsive website says so much more ro me. an old style site is a turn off for me.
There is some bowing on my cell, am thinking it is the window size I chose for the website, because if you straight forward Google us, there is a larger scale tour on our Google page which looks fine on my cell. Will have to perhaps enlarge the web format. Thanks for pointing this out.
And yes, we do have an "old-style site" without drop-down menus and such, but the funny thing is: again and again I receive tons of compliments because it's easy to maneuver with plenty of pix. AND we have a 50/50 mix of young and old guests saying this.

There is some bowing on my cell, am thinking it is the window size I chose for the website, because if you straight forward Google us, there is a larger scale tour on our Google page which looks fine on my cell. Will have to perhaps enlarge the web format. Thanks for pointing this out.
And yes, we do have an "old-style site" without drop-down menus and such, but the funny thing is: again and again I receive tons of compliments because it's easy to maneuver with plenty of pix. AND we have a 50/50 mix of young and old guests saying this.
what guest is going to say " oh you have a crappy website!"
most are just being polite.
you can have an excellent, user friendly site in a responsive theme and get into the 21st century:)
I think maybe you are just trying to justify the old site look to yourself. Ask someone who has made the switch and see what they say.
just looked at the google one on my tablet. kinda cool but still hard to manuver around, got blurry images in the transitioning and almost made myself dizzy swirling around:)

The tour looks OK on my tablet.
One suggestion for the website (yeah, I know, you didn't ask...) Have the list of page links all in the same order on every page. They are all over the place and I had to search for the one I wanted in a different spot in the list as I changed pages.
Even the page you are on should show the link to the page you are on.

what guest is going to say " oh you have a crappy website!"
most are just being polite.
you can have an excellent, user friendly site in a responsive theme and get into the 21st century:)
I think maybe you are just trying to justify the old site look to yourself. Ask someone who has made the switch and see what they say.
just looked at the google one on my tablet. kinda cool but still hard to manuver around, got blurry images in the transitioning and almost made myself dizzy swirling around:)
I don't bring it up! They go out of the way to tell me that, and have even had web designers tell me they picked us because of our website. If someone is going to be so judgmental to say oh, you have an old style website and not bother to go further, then they're likely to be judgmental about other things. Not kind of guests we're looking for anyway.
Case in point, the PO's opened a new B&B here in town and spent tons of money using Innovations for their new fangled website. We stuck with updating our old-fangled one and doubled their previous business here. Right now, they are about 50% behind us in current reservations (and they are highly rated on TA).

The tour looks OK on my tablet.
One suggestion for the website (yeah, I know, you didn't ask...) Have the list of page links all in the same order on every page. They are all over the place and I had to search for the one I wanted in a different spot in the list as I changed pages.
Even the page you are on should show the link to the page you are on.
Yep, the links are all out of order. I do constant updating, testing different formats, slideshows vs having all pix just there. Need to tidy up. Once upon a time they were in order. Thanks.

A little bit more info on why I ask:
I have assisted with business view with hotels. Best Western is spending millions to get every property on Google business walkthrough. I think it's more beneficial to independent hotels and bed & breakfasts.
I think virtual walk-throughs like this may be expected from travelers in the coming years..
Would you do this in your own home? Why would I want to showcase all the antiques, precise location, doors and windows for a potential thief?
People will be very annoyed with the hotels once the realize they were all spiffed up for the video and now they're dumps again.
To be honest I didn't think about thieves scouting out an escape route.
Would it make more sense to do a few 360 degree photos limited to certain areas? (guestrooms, dining area, etc.)

I have assisted with business view with hotels. Best Western is spending millions to get every property on Google business walkthrough. I think it's more beneficial to independent hotels and bed & breakfasts.
I think virtual walk-throughs like this may be expected from travelers in the coming years..
Would you do this in your own home? Why would I want to showcase all the antiques, precise location, doors and windows for a potential thief?
People will be very annoyed with the hotels once the realize they were all spiffed up for the video and now they're dumps again.
Would it make more sense to do a few 360 degree photos limited to certain areas? (guestrooms, dining area, etc.)
It would depend on what you have in these rooms and also where they are in reference to where you live. The person that cleared out there room with all furniture. He came to their B&B alone. But some time later some one had to of joined him very late at night. Help this person clear out his room he was staying in. They never found their stuff, but did find the stolen truck. The owns were mad at first but then it turned into fear and anger how some one could do that! A year later they got out of the business and move on to another place.
We never thought much about thief cause we had a virtual tour on our place . Just one thing that did not think about. But after talking to our friendly police officer . We decided not to take a chance and took off the tour. He told us to set up just a slide show it was a safer thing to do. It gave us the chance to show what we want to .
But as I said before. It is your place . You feel it will work or does work for you Great ! It is a good thing and it does show property well. Especially with some music in the back ground.

It would depend on what you have in these rooms and also where they are in reference to where you live. The person that cleared out there room with all furniture. He came to their B&B alone. But some time later some one had to of joined him very late at night. Help this person clear out his room he was staying in. They never found their stuff, but did find the stolen truck. The owns were mad at first but then it turned into fear and anger how some one could do that! A year later they got out of the business and move on to another place.
We never thought much about thief cause we had a virtual tour on our place . Just one thing that did not think about. But after talking to our friendly police officer . We decided not to take a chance and took off the tour. He told us to set up just a slide show it was a safer thing to do. It gave us the chance to show what we want to .
But as I said before. It is your place . You feel it will work or does work for you Great ! It is a good thing and it does show property well. Especially with some music in the back ground.
Oh no...the dreaded music in the background. Didn't hear that on my tablet :-( Not a good thing folks...we have discussed this for years. On the top 10 list of things NOT to do on your website. REALLY!!!

Oh no...the dreaded music in the background. Didn't hear that on my tablet :-( Not a good thing folks...we have discussed this for years. On the top 10 list of things NOT to do on your website. REALLY!!!
Oh, were you disdainfully referring to me again? Music Yuck! Can't find the X quick enough to close the page.

ok different strokes for different folks. LOL Web site music yuck I agree. But a certain Inn has music in the back ground with his tour and some times his chatting along side music. It is very peace full music. It would put me to sleep before his show was finished

ok different strokes for different folks. LOL Web site music yuck I agree. But a certain Inn has music in the back ground with his tour and some times his chatting along side music. It is very peace full music. It would put me to sleep before his show was finished
I can hear the "You're fired!" from here as an employee sneaks a peek at a web site and the music starts........

Back