You've Had All Winter To Do That...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mac installed grab bars in the shower today. We've had them in a box for over a year. Google makes everything so easy, except for supplying motivation and time.
But truth be told no handicapped person has ever stayed overnight here. Now we have a reservation next month requesting a handicapped room so we are set with our ramp, sink, toilet, toilet bars, and walk/roll-in shower with grab bars! Our only limitation is that the room doors are not the required width (close though) to advertise it as fully handicapped accessible. Don't know how I missed that when we were building since I was just out of that type of situation myself.
After reading the archived post about towel racks and grab bars, it's kind of scary! Anyone know how that situation turned out?.
Just a word of caution about handicap and door width. We had a couple, one in wheel chair, early on in our cottage. Without mentioning it to us they took the door off the bathroom, wrecked the hinges and left black scuff wheelchair marks over the entire floor, including the shower. I was hours getting the black marks up and hubby had to repair the door so it was fit to be rehung.
Sorry you had that experience. Thanks for the advice.
All wheelchairs are not the same size. Himself is scrawny so HIS wheelchair (for the times he needs it) will go through (barely) these 103 year old doorways. IF he were to be a "wide load" there is no way. Find out the widest they make the chairs to adjust doorways. Remember Murphy - if you say you are ADA (meaning wheelchair accessible) you had best be able to take the widest to prevent a lawsuit up the road (they SAID they were but MY chair could not get through).
We don't claim to be ADA, luckily, plus we address the door width issue by stating door size on our website. We list what we have that might help a handicap person and they can take it or go to a hotel. All good advice. Thanks.

Back