A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The Discount...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Generic

Reaction score
I offer a few discounts on my website and the biggest being for week long stays. But they only show up if you are booking direct, of course. Today someone booked via an OTA for a stay, so none of my discounts... I'm actually making more money even after paying the commission... In this case... I'm glad they didn't come to my website!

Hmm, lots going on in this statement. It seems odd that we would ever be glad someone did not go to our website.

Hmm, lots going on in this statement. It seems odd that we would ever be glad someone did not go to our website..
I know, isn't it? But my discount for a week's stay is higher than the commission that I pay. But by booking through the OTA they get the daily rate, no discount.

Recently, at the advice of a business adviser, I 'adjusted' all my rates. And by that, I mean dropped them. Not by much, but enough to make potential guests stop and look. So, I eliminated almost all of my discounts and instead I'm going to run a seasonal promotion or two either on my website or FB. The difference this has made is phenomenal! And, my ADR hasn't suffered at all. I'm blown away by this and just had to tell someone. The adviser said that the discounts made it too difficult for people to figure out what they were paying. They want one click, simple and easy. I already have 2/3 as many rooms booked for July as I did in all of July last year. And June isn't even half over yet!
Guess I'd better order some more sheets. ;)

Recently, at the advice of a business adviser, I 'adjusted' all my rates. And by that, I mean dropped them. Not by much, but enough to make potential guests stop and look. So, I eliminated almost all of my discounts and instead I'm going to run a seasonal promotion or two either on my website or FB. The difference this has made is phenomenal! And, my ADR hasn't suffered at all. I'm blown away by this and just had to tell someone. The adviser said that the discounts made it too difficult for people to figure out what they were paying. They want one click, simple and easy. I already have 2/3 as many rooms booked for July as I did in all of July last year. And June isn't even half over yet!
Guess I'd better order some more sheets. ;).
Price is king when guests can compare

Guess I'd better order some more sheets. ;).
Price is king when guests can compare
Transparent pricing is king.

Back