B&B Etiquette

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BTW

Reaction score
B&B Etiquette, anyone have some good examples, maybe something on their website?
Poster, Article ......... Top 10 type of thing?
Something hanging in your lobby or in each room?
Do you talk about "B&B Etiquette" with guests? Do they ask? Do you mention it or go over it during check in?
Especially with folks who have never stayed in a B&B, shouldn't we be stewards, per stay (I "train" them so that when they stay at your place they've already been learned? LOL)
If you were to make a TOP TEN List of "B&B Etiquette" things, what would it be?
Thanks

I just list a few 'rules' and one is: Respect our other guests. Quiet hours are between 10 PM and 7 AM.

We don't really have any "rules". We ask guests to remain quiet in the shared spaces and treat others as they want to be treated.

We don't really have any "rules". We ask guests to remain quiet in the shared spaces and treat others as they want to be treated..
Sorry, I wasn't really looking for "rules"
B&B Etiquette .... is it different than Holiday Inn etiquette. Are we to, is it expected that we act differently or do things differently than if we were staying at Best Western ... or even a 5-star exclusive resort?

We give each guest an information sheet upon check-in. It lists:
What room they are in, access code info, details of any package they purchased, what time breakfast is served, where they can find the Wi-Fi code, how to reach us in the event of an emergency, where to leave sandy/muddy/wet shoes, and the house quiet time (for guests and residents).
It also lists some basic info on what will be expected in the event of damage plus it speaks to policies such as smoking, candles, pets.
It is handed to them and the first paragraph of info (seen above) is verbally reviewed. After that, we socialize and talk about what there is to do in the area, and just have fun setting the social tone of the weekend.
Hope this helps!

We don't really have any "rules". We ask guests to remain quiet in the shared spaces and treat others as they want to be treated..
Sorry, I wasn't really looking for "rules"
B&B Etiquette .... is it different than Holiday Inn etiquette. Are we to, is it expected that we act differently or do things differently than if we were staying at Best Western ... or even a 5-star exclusive resort?
Our simple rules are pretty much all we have.

I just list a few 'rules' and one is: Respect our other guests. Quiet hours are between 10 PM and 7 AM..
"How" do you list them? Thanks
BTW said:
There is a book in each room with a front page saying welcome, listing the wifi password and emergency phone numbers along with breakfast times and check out time.
Also on this page is this section:
House Rules:
No smoking, no candles, no open flames of any kind by order of the Fire Marshall.
Smoking is permitted only at the picnic table in the driveway area.
Please respect our other guests and our neighbors, quiet hours are 10 PM - 7 AM.
Please do not feed the koi fish or the cat. The cat is only kidding when she tells you we don't feed her.

Are you looking for guest etiquette? Or innkeeper etiquette?
For guests, it seems impolite to dominate the common areas. If you spread out your breakfast with computers and several plates, others can't eat comfortably. If you are playing board games in the common area with your family, other guests can't relax in that room.
I had one group in about half our rooms and they kept leaving their family photos all over the dining room table. All day, whether they were looking at them or not. I kept tidying them up into a corner of the table. They gave me a review saying we were unfriendly. I thought they were entitled and rude.
Guests should respect the fact that they are one of many. Don't eat all the snacks, park carefully so there is room for others, don't be loud or take up too much space. Don't dominate the innkeepers' time. Respect the house and furniture, arrive on time, leave on time. Let us know if something is broken or stained.

For guests, it seems impolite to dominate the common areas. If you spread out your breakfast with computers and several plates, others can't eat comfortably. If you are playing board games in the common area with your family, other guests can't relax in that room.
I had one group in about half our rooms and they kept leaving their family photos all over the dining room table. All day, whether they were looking at them or not. I kept tidying them up into a corner of the table. They gave me a review saying we were unfriendly. I thought they were entitled and rude.
Guests should respect the fact that they are one of many. Don't eat all the snacks, park carefully so there is room for others, don't be loud or take up too much space. Don't dominate the innkeepers' time. Respect the house and furniture, arrive on time, leave on time. Let us know if something is broken or stained..
Very, very nice ........ much more as to what I was looking for.
Again, folks travel all day, every day ..... so what is different with staying at a B&B? Everything mentioned in this reply would be common at Holiday Inn. AND ... if you said something, the guest would complain and you'd give them comp rooms, apologizing 95 more times about how you were sorry that you asked them to not take all the snacks back to their room.
I try to get across to all guest that it's expected that they treat us and our property JUST like if they were staying with friends/relatives.
Thanks for reply

I just list a few 'rules' and one is: Respect our other guests. Quiet hours are between 10 PM and 7 AM..
BTW said:
There is a book in each room with a front page saying welcome, listing the wifi password and emergency phone numbers along with breakfast times and check out time.
Also on this page is this section:
House Rules:
No smoking, no candles, no open flames of any kind by order of the Fire Marshall.
Smoking is permitted only at the picnic table in the driveway area.
Please respect our other guests and our neighbors, quiet hours are 10 PM - 7 AM.
Please do not feed the koi fish or the cat. The cat is only kidding when she tells you we don't feed her.
Great reply, thanks

I’m sorry I don’t react positively to the idea of B&B etiquette posted somewhere I stay. Suggestions in a room book maybe to share the space. Whether staying at a hotel or a b&b guests who book a lot of rooms as a group tend to take over the place. It’s pretty hard to coral them, they’re in the zone and enjoying one another’s company ... not thinking about much else. But I also have seen guests (just two) monopolize a space. In a Marriott lounge.
Back to your question ... I would think guests who feel they are being instructed in B.B. etiquette would not want to stay in another one. Just my two cents.

I have a label on the base of each TV (I figure they WILL look at the TV) with the network and the password for the wifi. The ONLY other sign I have in the house is the one on the mantle next to the bubblegum machine bank that states all money in this goes to the Lord's Pantry Food Bank. I figure my guests know how to act and so far, I have been correct.

I’m sorry I don’t react positively to the idea of B&B etiquette posted somewhere I stay. Suggestions in a room book maybe to share the space. Whether staying at a hotel or a b&b guests who book a lot of rooms as a group tend to take over the place. It’s pretty hard to coral them, they’re in the zone and enjoying one another’s company ... not thinking about much else. But I also have seen guests (just two) monopolize a space. In a Marriott lounge.
Back to your question ... I would think guests who feel they are being instructed in B.B. etiquette would not want to stay in another one. Just my two cents..
Another inn in our town has a large sign listing several 'rules.' I found it off putting, so I didn't do it. Later, after a couple instances of candles setting the fire alarms off, I changed my mind and listed 'rules' in our welcome book. But a short list. Not an exhaustive list of lots of things innkeepers complain about.
Keep it simple and to the point. And as optimistic and friendly as possible.

Guests should respect the fact that they are one of many. Don't eat all the snacks, park carefully so there is room for others, don't be loud or take up too much space. Don't dominate the innkeepers' time. Respect the house and furniture, arrive on time, leave on time. Let us know if something is broken or stained..
Other points of inn guest etiquette, if you bring children, watch them.
Don't let them throw rocks into the pond or float garbage down the waterfall. (yes, very specific.)
If your child makes a mess and, say, drops raisins all over the innkeepers brand new mahogany decking, clean them up rather than letting others step on them.
If you see three bistro tables in the breakfast room, don't seat your child at one and then take a separate one for yourself. Assume other guests might want to sit at a table too.
Don't eat pizza in bed. Just please don't.
:)

Back