Breakfast serving style

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do a combination.
Most of my guests stay more than one night. The first day, I usually serve plated except for the muffins, I serve those family style.
After the first day, I usually serve family style except for omlettes as I make those to order. If I have more guests and don't serve omlettes or scrambled eggs and make a quiche, I plate that.

We have:
  • Serve yourself early coffee/tea and homemade biscotti in a basket on the living room sideboard
  • Cake plates on the tables with sweet breads or muffins for the whole table (we have two tables, each for six)
  • We pour juice (we offer orange but we have others) and coffee at the table once we start the breakfast service.
  • Fruit course and main course (entree, breakfast meat, toast if it's eggs) are individually plated.
  • Cereal is available on a sideboard if anyone wants it.
I like the idea of having the biscotti avail early with the coffee/tea. Maybe I'll think about doing something like that. A basket of mini muffins say, only avail for early risers. Those folks who get up early to sit around with hubs and solve the problems of the world!
One reason I like biscotti is that it doesn't get stale sitting out for breakfast, so I can save the leftovers in a ziplock and just keep doling them out. It's a Cook's Illustrated recipe I use - I make a batch whenever I need to, throw it in a ziplock and put it out in a basket in the morning. The recipe says it will keep for a month, but it's never lasted long enough to be put to that test.

We have:
  • Serve yourself early coffee/tea and homemade biscotti in a basket on the living room sideboard
  • Cake plates on the tables with sweet breads or muffins for the whole table (we have two tables, each for six)
  • We pour juice (we offer orange but we have others) and coffee at the table once we start the breakfast service.
  • Fruit course and main course (entree, breakfast meat, toast if it's eggs) are individually plated.
I like the idea of having the biscotti avail early with the coffee/tea. Maybe I'll think about doing something like that. A basket of mini muffins say, only avail for early risers. Those folks who get up early to sit around with hubs and solve the problems of the world!
One reason I like biscotti is that it doesn't get stale sitting out for breakfast, so I can save the leftovers in a ziplock and just keep doling them out. It's a Cook's Illustrated recipe I use - I make a batch whenever I need to, throw it in a ziplock and put it out in a basket in the morning. The recipe says it will keep for a month, but it's never lasted long enough to be put to that test.
A few recipes call for butter, some don't. If you choose not to put the butter in, do you add more egg? I noticed the non-butter recipes all have 2 extra egg yolks. Do you have a good chocolate biscotti recipe?

We have:
A few recipes call for butter, some don't. If you choose not to put the butter in, do you add more egg? I noticed the non-butter recipes all have 2 extra egg yolks. Do you have a good chocolate biscotti recipe?
If I say use margarine instead of butter in a cookie recipe or similar. I don't change a thing. except replacing butter with margarine. I think saying that all non butter recipes use extra egg yolks is misleading..not all do.

We have:
Mine doesn't use butter, just eggs (3 large), baking soda, baking powder, sugar, spices and macerated currants. It does have a tsp of the marsala wine used to soak the currants. It's a spice biscotti, not particularly sweet.
I have a recipe sent to me for a chocolate cherry biscotti but I've never made it.

We have:
If I say use margarine instead of butter in a cookie recipe or similar. I don't change a thing. except replacing butter with margarine. I think saying that all non butter recipes use extra egg yolks is misleading..not all do.
catlady said:
The biscotti recipes I found on Cooks Illustrated had either butter or extra egg yolks. What I was reading was that the butter recipes made the biscotti more cake-like and the extra egg ones made the biscotti more crunchy, which is what I want.
Why replace butter with margarine? What's the purpose in doing that?
Once I switched from margarine to butter I never bought margarine again! It's been maybe 20 years since I've had margarine in the house.

We have:
Mine doesn't use butter, just eggs (3 large), baking soda, baking powder, sugar, spices and macerated currants. It does have a tsp of the marsala wine used to soak the currants. It's a spice biscotti, not particularly sweet.
I have a recipe sent to me for a chocolate cherry biscotti but I've never made it.
I'd make chocolate pistachio. But not today. It's 90 here and that's too toasty to be beating a new recipe into submission!

We have:
Mine doesn't use butter either. Here is an easy recipe I've used before for Pecan-Cranberry Biscotti. It's very adaptable. Substitute chopped chocolate (white or dark) for the cranberries, and any nut for the pecans.

We have:
catlady said:
The biscotti recipes I found on Cooks Illustrated had either butter or extra egg yolks. What I was reading was that the butter recipes made the biscotti more cake-like and the extra egg ones made the biscotti more crunchy, which is what I want.
Why replace butter with margarine? What's the purpose in doing that?
Once I switched from margarine to butter I never bought margarine again! It's been maybe 20 years since I've had margarine in the house.
Sorry I got off track...got in mid stream of your biscotti discussion:-( I prefer to use butter in baking, but I do also use margarine from time to time. That is all my mother ever used. I was merely stating that you COULD replace butter with margarine and nothing else is needed. :)
We have never been biscotti fans...just never had any appeal to me...my grandmother served them to us as kids and I always wondered why??

I do family style for the same reason as Sunburst - it was sooo gooood and sooooo pretty but I wanted just a bit mooooore (so I am an oink-oink who did not want to be obvious) but did not want to ask. No one leaves my table hungry unless they choose to. I rarely serve a meat - my shtick is low-fat, low cholesterol because I live with a no-fat and it is just easier to do it that way rather than listen to him.... It also provides less waste for me - what is left is untouched. We have one table and can seat 6 comfortably but each room chooses what time they want breakfast (between 4AM & 10 AM) and sometimes everyone (halleluia. brother!) chooses the same time.

Full table service plated- big focus on presentation- lots of fruits- mostly local fruits and vegeatables- Locally grown coffee with french press service- Locally grown loose leaf tea- locally baked breads- rotate through a set of about four options that are varied according to what is available.

Full table service plated- big focus on presentation- lots of fruits- mostly local fruits and vegeatables- Locally grown coffee with french press service- Locally grown loose leaf tea- locally baked breads- rotate through a set of about four options that are varied according to what is available..
When I was on The Big Island several years ago, I seem to remember that by law, the B&Bs were not able to cook a hot breakfast. Is that still the way it is? If so, is it that way on all the islands? Who are they trying to protect?

Full table service plated- big focus on presentation- lots of fruits- mostly local fruits and vegeatables- Locally grown coffee with french press service- Locally grown loose leaf tea- locally baked breads- rotate through a set of about four options that are varied according to what is available..
When I was on The Big Island several years ago, I seem to remember that by law, the B&Bs were not able to cook a hot breakfast. Is that still the way it is? If so, is it that way on all the islands? Who are they trying to protect?
Breakfast Diva said:
Hotels.
They do not want BnB's there period. From that there have been an overwhelming amount of illegal BnB operations (on Oahu for certain). We stayed at one and didn't know it was illegal, they advertised on the internet, had rack cards, etc. This was in Lanikai

Back