cigarette smell

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

casaallison

Reaction score
Hello-I am new to the business and am wondering about the best, and quickest, way to get cigarette smell out of guestrooms.Thanks!

Hopefully not a long standing problem. Then only stripping out carpet, sealing and repainting then new carpet or flooring will work.
If of short duration - major cleaning of e v e r y t h i n g plus washing walls will do it.
This is why so many places have a $200 or more charge if evidence of smoking is found in the room.

Open the windows. Wash all the fabrics in the room (bedding, curtains, etc). Clean the carpets. Rent an ozonator. Try MagicZymes (which I don't find works for me, but others swear by it).

I swear by Detol Neutrair - but make sure you change everything you can and do carpet and curtains with spray

We've had a few guests think our smoking in room penelty isn't worth bothering to go outside (I think we are going to change our fee to be more inline with other inns and hotels in the area. We charge a lot less). We've even had to repaint the rooms to get rid of the smell.

We tell them that they will have to pay for the guests that need to be displaced while we repaint the room. That's usually enough of a deterrent.
To get rid of the smell, we spray down EVERYTHING with m@g!czym3s plus and wash the floor down with pure 0d0B@n. It works, but it does take a bit of time and maybe two of three shots of it. And when I say spray it, I mean all the walls and ceiling.

Hopefully not a long standing problem. Then only stripping out carpet, sealing and repainting then new carpet or flooring will work.
If of short duration - major cleaning of e v e r y t h i n g plus washing walls will do it.
This is why so many places have a $200 or more charge if evidence of smoking is found in the room..
Anon Inn said:
This is why so many places have a $200 or more charge if evidence of smoking is found in the room.
We've been charging $50. Which for some people isn't much so they'd rather smoke in the room and pay the $50. We are going to start charging $200 which is what most places around us charge ($200-$250).

This is why so many places have a $200 or more charge if evidence of smoking is found in the room..
Anon Inn said:
We've been charging $50. Which for some people isn't much so they'd rather smoke in the room and pay the $50. We are going to start charging $200 which is what most places around us charge ($200-$250).
We charge $500. Even at $200, there are those who will risk it.

Anon Inn said:
dotsbythesea said:
Anon Inn said:
there are people that will pay that as well. You need to follow it up with. "You will also be asked to leave without a refund!"

We have a $200 cleaning fee plus 1 night additional room charge and they will be told to leave.
I did this after having a small cleaning fee and someone smoked in the room. I realized just how much work I had to do to make the room able to be rented again. And the guy did a charge back. I did win at least!

Open the windows. Wash all the fabrics in the room (bedding, curtains, etc). Clean the carpets. Rent an ozonator. Try MagicZymes (which I don't find works for me, but others swear by it)..
An ozone machine might be a good investment, a friend in the used car business once loaned me one and it was very effective, pricey, but at times a good solution.

We have a sign between the two front doors that read, "NO SMOKING." On the second floor hall a sign states that it is illegal to smoke in here. We find the ends in the trash but no evidence that they did it inside. Trash removed and room sprayed. No other issues….. Just watch someone will do it tonight.
sad_smile.gif

Latest posts

Back