Games for a rainy day?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheBeachHouse

Reaction score
I just bought Monopoly, Scrabble and a 3-in-one chess/checkers/backgammon board for the inn.
Do you have a game room or other rainy day things to do? We have always had playing cards in all the rooms.
I recently got a review that twice mentioned the rain, so I was inspired.

just thinking there will be a mega sale after christmas thats when I would be buying

I have monotony, Trivial Pursuit, cards, Scrabble, Uno, Connect4, backgammon, Clue and chessmen plus I think another one or two somewhere. They have rarely been played - even on rainy days. I also have blocks for the 2-legged animals to play with.

I have monotony, Trivial Pursuit, cards, Scrabble, Uno, Connect4, backgammon, Clue and chessmen plus I think another one or two somewhere. They have rarely been played - even on rainy days. I also have blocks for the 2-legged animals to play with..
We've had people ask for games - maybe 4 or 5 times in 4 years. We offer them our Monopoly - but it's a Star Wars Monopoly and I'd rather not lend it out. So, this will fix that.
I also think that when people see the games available - even if they don't use them - they will like the hospitality offered aspect of them.
Similar to the bowl of apples. People often mention the fresh fruit bowl in reviews, but they rarely actually eat the fruit.

We've had games from the beginning. Rarely get used. Even if I leave the checkers out, all set up, at the table, they get shoved aside.
I once showed a family where the games and books were stored and the parents laughed at me and said, kind of snarkily, that their kids wouldn't know how to play games IRL and they had plenty of books on their tablets. This was probably 7 years ago.
However, the books and games are there to use. Speaking of which, I might go start a jigsaw puzzle...

I have monotony, Trivial Pursuit, cards, Scrabble, Uno, Connect4, backgammon, Clue and chessmen plus I think another one or two somewhere. They have rarely been played - even on rainy days. I also have blocks for the 2-legged animals to play with..
gillumhouse said:
I have monotony, Trivial Pursuit, cards, Scrabble, Uno, Connect4, backgammon, Clue and chessmen plus I think another one or two somewhere. They have rarely been played - even on rainy days. I also have blocks for the 2-legged animals to play with.
Ha, ha - monotony - that's exactly what I think of that game!
I will say our trivial pursuit cards are used everyday - they are on the dining room tables.

We've had games from the beginning. Rarely get used. Even if I leave the checkers out, all set up, at the table, they get shoved aside.
I once showed a family where the games and books were stored and the parents laughed at me and said, kind of snarkily, that their kids wouldn't know how to play games IRL and they had plenty of books on their tablets. This was probably 7 years ago.
However, the books and games are there to use. Speaking of which, I might go start a jigsaw puzzle....
Puzzle is a good idea, too. My grandkids love chess and puzzles and books. Thank God and their parents. (And my husband who taught them chess.)

We've had people ask for games - maybe 4 or 5 times in 4 years. We offer them our Monopoly - but it's a Star Wars Monopoly and I'd rather not lend it out. So, this will fix that.
I also think that when people see the games available - even if they don't use them - they will like the hospitality offered aspect of them.
Similar to the bowl of apples. People often mention the fresh fruit bowl in reviews, but they rarely actually eat the fruit.
TheBeachHouse said:
Yes, agree that even if something isn't used, the perception is that a lot was offered.
I might get some fruit to put out.

TheBeachHouse said:
Yes, agree that even if something isn't used, the perception is that a lot was offered.
Morticia said:
TheBeachHouse said:
It's pretty easy to manage. When the apples and bananas get old, they go into the pancakes.

At NE Inn, a chess board set is set up and used regularly. Its the glass one. We have a bunch of games and cards. An old piano is a great hit...if you can stand it!
At PA Inn the porches get used the most and then the books. Each room has a few books scattered around and a floor to ceiling bookcase in the game room along with a table with a puzzle set up. (pool and air hockey as well.)

TheBeachHouse said:
I made reed baskets (small with clothes pin legs) for each room and put 2 bananas, 4 apples, and a couple pkgs of snack crackers in them in the rooms. When I point them out, the guets say that is so nice. Sometimes they clean it out, quite often, they do not touch it. But it is there. Since Himself is no longer here to eat the left behimds, I am making banana muffins more often and the apples get sliced up into the crock pot with ham or pork chops.
Again, it is the perception that they rate a basket of fruit in the room.

I'm an urban inn and guests rarely spend an entire day inside, even if the weather is lousy. We have tons of free museums within a 10-minute drive. We also have cable movies on demand and on-screen movie rentals, which are used by a few guests every now & again.
I laughed a little at the board games folks mentioned. I haven't played Monopoly, Trivial Pursuit, checkers, or chess in ages, though my friends and I get together for game night several times a month. You may want to invest in a few more modern games like Bananagrams, Codenames, or Exploding Kittens (a little edgy, but still "clean") for $10 - $15 apiece. Power Grid is pretty cool game for a longer afternoon; it's $30. Pandemic is great, too ($20). Zombicide is super trendy and very involved, sometimes played over multiple days or even a week, but it's an investment at $50 (https://zombicide.com/en/)
A few sets of playing cards and some printouts of rules for Golf, spades, gin rummy, or any of the numerous variations of poker (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_poker_variants) would also be a lot more fun than monopoly.

I'm an urban inn and guests rarely spend an entire day inside, even if the weather is lousy. We have tons of free museums within a 10-minute drive. We also have cable movies on demand and on-screen movie rentals, which are used by a few guests every now & again.
I laughed a little at the board games folks mentioned. I haven't played Monopoly, Trivial Pursuit, checkers, or chess in ages, though my friends and I get together for game night several times a month. You may want to invest in a few more modern games like Bananagrams, Codenames, or Exploding Kittens (a little edgy, but still "clean") for $10 - $15 apiece. Power Grid is pretty cool game for a longer afternoon; it's $30. Pandemic is great, too ($20). Zombicide is super trendy and very involved, sometimes played over multiple days or even a week, but it's an investment at $50 (https://zombicide.com/en/)
A few sets of playing cards and some printouts of rules for Golf, spades, gin rummy, or any of the numerous variations of poker (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_poker_variants) would also be a lot more fun than monopoly..
Banangram! Yes. Forgot about that one. Scrabble and Boggle, too, as so many play words with friends and word scramble.
One I can't remember the name of - it's a multi-level Scrabble game. Had a couple of sisters here thrashing each other playing it.

We have movies, full bookshelves, puzzles and games with a game table. But with 28+ wineries in a 10 mile radius, that usually wins!

A few sets of playing cards and some printouts of rules for Golf, spades, gin rummy, or any of the numerous variations of poker (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_poker_variants) would also be a lot more fun than monopoly..
I looked it up. The four best selling board games of all time are: Chess, checkers, Scrabble and Monopoly. So I'm good with my choices of Chess, checkers, Scrabble and Monopoly.
You may laugh, but my family plays Monopoly. (I hate it, but they love it.) People request it.
They arrived over the weekend and they look great on the shelf under the coffee table.

I looked it up. The four best selling board games of all time are: Chess, checkers, Scrabble and Monopoly. So I'm good with my choices of Chess, checkers, Scrabble and Monopoly.
You may laugh, but my family plays Monopoly. (I hate it, but they love it.) People request it.
They arrived over the weekend and they look great on the shelf under the coffee table.
Minimize pieces of things people won't care to ensure are back. I think scrabble is a bad idea, the letters will go all over the place.
Jenga is great for hours of fun. Exploding Kittens (not the adult version).

So I got home from the office last night and went out into the inn to check on the flowers. (My husband doesn't see flowers. He wouldn't notice if they were brown and falling apart.) The flowers looked fine and there were our guests in the common room, playing Scrabble!!
I was really pleased.
And P.S. they looked sooooo relaxed!!

Latest posts

Back