Order of room cleaning - trash first - or last?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anon Inn

Reaction score
For me - trash is emptied last - or at least the trash liner is kept aside after receptacles are cleaned and relined - because where will i put whatever I may come across, the dryer sheet in the folds of the new sheets, the stray thread, the wrapping off the new toilet roll....

I actually put all the trash receptacles in the hall so that I remember to empty them and put them back. So usually last.

When I walk into the room I take the used liner out of the trashcan and put in a new one but it remains in the room until I sweep the floor which is the last thing I do to the room.

for me first but have a large black sack all the room bins for the day go into so always have a place for random bits of stuff to go into - want whatever smelly rubbish they have out of the room

Last.
We use them for throwing the cleaning towels in, plus collecting the stuff left in the room. All of the trash and recyclables then go in a shopping bag that gets emptied into the big trash bag/recycle tub in the laundry room.

Anon Inn said:
For me - trash is emptied last - or at least the trash liner is kept aside after receptacles are cleaned and relined - because where will i put whatever I may come across, the dryer sheet in the folds of the new sheets, the stray thread, the wrapping off the new toilet roll....
I use a stuffmart bag (doubled up) and hang on door knob. No matter how many years i have done this, I still forget a used soap, lone peanut or left behind wire hanger. Something, at least one item, will need to be tossed after the room looks finished or ready to vacuum.
To answer: trash is emptied first, to get rid of any food or drink or worse smells. Toilet is also flushed right then, no matter what, every time.

Anon Inn said:
I use a stuffmart bag (doubled up) and hang on door knob. No matter how many years i have done this, I still forget a used soap, lone peanut or left behind wire hanger. Something, at least one item, will need to be tossed after the room looks finished or ready to vacuum.
To answer: trash is emptied first, to get rid of any food or drink or worse smells. Toilet is also flushed right then, no matter what, every time..
JBloggs said:
Something, at least one item, will need to be tossed after the room looks finished or ready to vacuum.
Yes, and when I vacuum, that's when the lone sock appears from under the bed!
I pondered this because the lady who helps at times also helps another local innkeeper. She said the innkeeper told her to put the top sheet on 'upside down' so the finished edge would show when folded back over. She had never thought of that before. She also emptied trash first until I asked her what she did with the stuff she found later. So here - trash last, at least in the apartment. She hasn't done any of the inside rooms yet. She is thorough and versatile, works a pastiche of part time or as needed work in the area. She interviews her clients as well as being interviewed herself before she works for them!
I do keep a stuffmart bag on a knob inside the utility hall closet. That's where the stuff I find in the hall goes when all else has been cleaned. Utility closet is locked when guests in residence.

Anon Inn said:
To answer: trash is emptied first, to get rid of any food or drink or worse smells. Toilet is also flushed right then, no matter what, every time..
JBloggs said:
Something, at least one item, will need to be tossed after the room looks finished or ready to vacuum.
I pondered this because the lady who helps at times also helps another local innkeeper. She said the innkeeper told her to put the top sheet on 'upside down' so the finished edge would show when folded back over. She had never thought of that before. She also emptied trash first until I asked her what she did with the stuff she found later. So here - trash last, at least in the apartment. She hasn't done any of the inside rooms yet. She is thorough and versatile, works a pastiche of part time or as needed work in the area. She interviews her clients as well as being interviewed herself before she works for them!
I do keep a stuffmart bag on a knob inside the utility hall closet. That's where the stuff I find in the hall goes when all else has been cleaned. Utility closet is locked when guests in residence.
Anon Inn said:
She interviews her clients as well as being interviewed herself before she works for them!
I could never afford someone who interviews me back. wow.
I only require "some" teeth. No I am not joking, you think I am (as I enjoy the anonymity of the forum)
shades_smile.gif

Anon Inn said:
JBloggs said:
Anon Inn said:
She interviews her clients as well as being interviewed herself before she works for them!
I could never afford someone who interviews me back. wow.
I only require "some" teeth. No I am not joking, you think I am (as I enjoy the anonymity of the forum)
shades_smile.gif

It's more of a seeing if the client (employer) is simpatico, rather than a hard interview. A spiritual energy kind of thing.
This is a small and eclectic community.
regular_smile.gif

Latest posts

Back