Add-ons

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Who is your target market?
Extras to offer:
  • Tickets to museums (no worries about them being 'sold out')
  • Boat excursions
  • Babymoon
  • Shopping with dinner and a movie
  • Tea for Two
  • Welcome basket of local products
  • Skiing
  • Massage
  • Wine & cheese tray
I don't like doing the romance pkgs with flowers, etc as I end up spending the whole amount of the pkg on the damn flowers and the rest of it is basically on us. Flowers are prohibitively expensive here. (Unless I drive 40 miles to Whole Foods.).
Thanks, Madeline. I was actually looking for suggestions of things I can offer for a fee in addition to the room rate. I have only two guest rooms with a shared bath. There is only so much I can offer. We are a small village full of antique and boutique shops with some things to do within driving distance from here, but I think the res fellow was thinking more along the lines of package deals to upsell the inn, and add on things like chocolate covered strawberries for a price, etc. I'm coming up blank.
Oh..shared baths...didn't anyone tell you....no one wants shared bathrooms these days. Are you getting any guests? I recommend any way you can do private baths....DO THEM!
Do you have a local massage therapist who will come out to do massages or offer couples massages at their location.???
I haven't opened yet. Projected opening date is in April. I wish I could have private baths, but I cannot rebuild this house! There just isn't any place to add another bath. There is a local massage therapist only a block away. I'll check into that. Good idea. Thanks.
Take a good hard look around...there usually is a way to cram a small bath somewhere. You will be the last place to book with shared bathrooms. I have to tell you. If I were looking in your town and saw shared...I don't care what you had to entice me...you would not get my business. And lots of people feel the same way. Sorry to be a downer, but that is the way it is today.
EmptyNest said:
...there usually is a way to cram a small bath somewhere.
I stayed at an award-winning B&B in a circa 1820 house in England and below is how they added a bathroom into my room. They took just 3.3 feet from one end of a room that was 15 feet wide. It wasn't nearly as cramped as it looks in the scale drawing below. It was quite functional with toilet, small lavatory, and shower, and MUCH preferred over having to get dressed and go down the hall to a bathroom, and much much preferred to sharing with strangers. They also managed to get plenty of shelves and storage in there. It CAN be done!
england_bath.jpg

This is a thought. Thanks. I'm looking at my smaller br which overlooks the back deck and is next to some attic space. I might be able to bump out the attic to adjoin a bath to this room. The other bath could connect to the bigger br by simply adding another door. Just thinking. Zoning and building is always an issue, especially with the older homes here in our historic Ohio village.
See you are thinking...that is GOOD.... I am from OHIO. Name the city and I may be able to tell you something. Small OH villages usually don't have too many zoning regs.
I am in Waynesville, Ohio, between Dayton and Cincinnati. You can "see" me on Facebook: The Sinclair House B&B. Since I've only just started on this venture I may coast this summer and see how things go before I start stirring up the zoning board. You may be right about the baths. Time will tell. Thanks for your input. What part of OH are you from?
I lived in London at taught at OSU in Columbus. Been to Waynesville many many times. Love the town! Where is the house? What part of town? Wonderful shops there. Oh you sent me down memory lane today. Is the big fabric store still there? Think I am remembering right
wink_smile.gif

So funny! EVERYONE knows about that fabric shop! Yes, it is still here. We now have liquor in the village, too! I live at the top of town near the schools. Right at the top of High Street, to be exact. So you know the area attractions. I think it will be a nice little getaway weekend spot for out of towners. I have a little competition in the area (they all offer private baths
wink_smile.gif
) but everyone I've spoken to here is excited for me to open. I've been to London twice. My husband was a fallen officer in 2010 and I came to the Academy for the honors ceremonies. Lovely town.
Oh yes I know where you are. I can't tell you how much I loved that town!!!! It has so much going for it way back then before I retired here to open our B & B and it was one of the places all the "home ec" teachers went for our days out and had in service meetings there as well so we could take time to shop too. Everyone there was always so friendly and welcoming. You have a great location..so really promote it and work with as many of the merchants as you possibly can. It will pay off for you. ALL BEST WISHES!

Kate are the rooms sizable? I ask I was recently at a B&B in Blue Ridge Georgia that added bathrooms INTO THE ROOMS. I wish I had more photos to share.
This was added after the fact and a little octagon in the room itself...the restroom to the right.
lrg_maril%20bath.jpg

lrg_Blue%20Ridge%20Inn%20Bed%20and%20Breakfast%20bathroom2_Innspiring%20road%20trip.jpg
If I knew how to upload a photo of my room I would show it to you. My room is not this large. I was just looking at it to see if I could somehow convert the closet into the room like the photo above. Nada. It woul eat up most of the floor space. My only option, as I can see it, is to build a bathroom onto the back of the house and use the window (there are two) as a doorway into the bath. Sounds pricey. These are second floor bedrooms. It would require a roof and walls, etc. I could have a contractor come and look the room over and let me know my options. I shudder to think of the cost. Another possible option is to expand the back of the closet in that room into the third, tiny bedroom, making that one not much more than a closet itself. Hmmm...

Here's one of the tiniest bathrooms I've experienced. I'm short (5'5") and my knees hit the wall in front. It was obvious that this area had been a closet originally. The tiny shower was to the right of the toilet. The wash basin, mirror and plugs for hair dryer were in the bedroom area. We laughed about how they built it, but were perfectly happy staying here because it was en suite.
1349510253697.jpg
Really??? This is so small that I would think it not worth the effort! But you were okay with it? This is what I would have if I pushed the guest closet back into my third bedroom, which is not being used as a bedroom now, but I am a little worried about destroying any possibility of this house ever being sold as a house again. And how in the world do they run plumbing without messing up the floor and everything else? I need to talk to a contractor.

Kate are the rooms sizable? I ask I was recently at a B&B in Blue Ridge Georgia that added bathrooms INTO THE ROOMS. I wish I had more photos to share.
This was added after the fact and a little octagon in the room itself...the restroom to the right.
lrg_maril%20bath.jpg

lrg_Blue%20Ridge%20Inn%20Bed%20and%20Breakfast%20bathroom2_Innspiring%20road%20trip.jpg
If I knew how to upload a photo of my room I would show it to you. My room is not this large. I was just looking at it to see if I could somehow convert the closet into the room like the photo above. Nada. It woul eat up most of the floor space. My only option, as I can see it, is to build a bathroom onto the back of the house and use the window (there are two) as a doorway into the bath. Sounds pricey. These are second floor bedrooms. It would require a roof and walls, etc. I could have a contractor come and look the room over and let me know my options. I shudder to think of the cost. Another possible option is to expand the back of the closet in that room into the third, tiny bedroom, making that one not much more than a closet itself. Hmmm...
what you need is a trip to my town in the UK - every B&B here is a converted Victorian so its amazing where people have managed to fit in bathrooms. Also you can also put the sink in the bedroom ie toilet and shower in a small bathroom with the sink just outside as another option. For our room 12 which was the owners lounge we took a section of hallway which was behind the 2nd front door (we are 2 terraced houses next to each other knocked together so we never used that door) to make the bathroom for room 12 - its a quadrant shower, toilet and sink and fits into about 1.5m by 1.5 -its all about thinking outside the box. Room 11's bathroom used to be the laundry room off the dining room.

lrg_maril%20bath.jpg

Kate, I had those closets. I also had the pull-down stairs access to the attic in the 4th bedroom. Here is what I did. moved the access to the other side of the room, removed the "closet" wall making a passage into the new bathroom, took half the room to make a long narrow room that has sink, claw-foot, toilet (handicap height which I recommend to use, not the ones stolen from a daycare center in height), and a 48 inch shower. On both sides of the passage there are now closets because of the space behind the fireplaces and the outside wall on the other side - the closets were about 4 feet wide and 12 inches deep. The door to the other bathroom was moved about 8 inches to accommodate the shower - needed the depth for the new shower. What I am left with is a room that holds my extra linens, cleaning supplies, and anything else DH wants kept, but NOT in his area. Should (god forbid) this return to residence status, it will be large enough to be a child's room, computer room, or small office. The window is still there.
The toilet was raised to give the needed angle for "flow" and the plumbing tied into the existing. It took me 10 years to figure out how to do it.

lrg_maril%20bath.jpg

what you need is a trip to my town in the UK - every B&B here is a converted Victorian so its amazing where people have managed to fit in bathrooms. Also you can also put the sink in the bedroom ie toilet and shower in a small bathroom with the sink just outside as another option. For our room 12 which was the owners lounge we took a section of hallway which was behind the 2nd front door (we are 2 terraced houses next to each other knocked together so we never used that door) to make the bathroom for room 12 - its a quadrant shower, toilet and sink and fits into about 1.5m by 1.5 -its all about thinking outside the box. Room 11's bathroom used to be the laundry room off the dining room.
Thanks. These are helpful ideas. I've been looking and thinking here and since my second and third bedrooms are side by side I might be able to fan out the existing closet in the second bedroom and make a pie shaped bathroom. Putting the sink in the bedroom might be something to consider. So much to consider.

lrg_maril%20bath.jpg

Thanks. These are helpful ideas. I've been looking and thinking here and since my second and third bedrooms are side by side I might be able to fan out the existing closet in the second bedroom and make a pie shaped bathroom. Putting the sink in the bedroom might be something to consider. So much to consider.
Glad we got you to thinking. You won't regret it...if you get it done asap. Here's a pic of the sink in one of our bedrooms where it couldn't fit into the bathroom.
Husband made it from an old liquor cabinet.
vanity.jpg

lrg_maril%20bath.jpg

KatesCottage161 said:
We have a sink in one of our guest rooms, too. The rest of the bathroom is under the stairs and a part of the porch was commandeered for the shower. (Inside, not outside!)
That's probably really the smallest bathroom because the space under the stairs is really useless. Essentially, the toilet is under the tallest part of 'under the stairs' and the shower is really 'on the porch'. There's room to open the door!

I'm also a big proponent of private bathrooms. I know of a few B&B's in my region with shared bathrooms and it's definitely a deterrent to guests. I try to send referrals to these B&B's but when I tell them it's a shared bath, the travelers usually don't even want the phone number. Some of these B&B's will only rent both rooms if it's a family or group, otherwise they just rent one (at a premium).
Until you can add private baths, your best bet is to push packages and add-ons which encourage bookings taking both rooms.
Girlfriends getaways (add chocolate tasting kit, wine if you're allowed, or gift certificate to that fabric store or a tea room).
Family getaways (add admission for four to a local attraction, ice cream vouchers, park pass, or dinner GC for a family-friendly restaurant).
Friends getaway (add golfing for a foursome, dinner GC for four for a nice resto, or snacks and beverages for a euchre night in your guest common room).
If you do romance packages, make it so it's a private bath (don't rent out the second room) and price it at a premium.
With any of these packages, don't forget to promote the "exclusive use of guest facilities/areas". It's a bonus to the guests not to share any space with others and it's a value-add worth mentioning even if it doesn't actually cost you anything.

lrg_maril%20bath.jpg

Glad we got you to thinking. You won't regret it...if you get it done asap. Here's a pic of the sink in one of our bedrooms where it couldn't fit into the bathroom.
vanity.jpg

This is pretty. Might be a possibility. I've got a fellow coming out in a few minutes to hopefully give me some ideas. The only thing I can come up with is creating a pie shaped bathroom by angling the doorway of the guest room closet and angling the wall of the room on the other side of the closet, but we'll see what he says. You all have been so helpful and I hope I can come up with some way to do this.

I'm also a big proponent of private bathrooms. I know of a few B&B's in my region with shared bathrooms and it's definitely a deterrent to guests. I try to send referrals to these B&B's but when I tell them it's a shared bath, the travelers usually don't even want the phone number. Some of these B&B's will only rent both rooms if it's a family or group, otherwise they just rent one (at a premium).
Until you can add private baths, your best bet is to push packages and add-ons which encourage bookings taking both rooms.
Girlfriends getaways (add chocolate tasting kit, wine if you're allowed, or gift certificate to that fabric store or a tea room).
Family getaways (add admission for four to a local attraction, ice cream vouchers, park pass, or dinner GC for a family-friendly restaurant).
Friends getaway (add golfing for a foursome, dinner GC for four for a nice resto, or snacks and beverages for a euchre night in your guest common room).
If you do romance packages, make it so it's a private bath (don't rent out the second room) and price it at a premium.
With any of these packages, don't forget to promote the "exclusive use of guest facilities/areas". It's a bonus to the guests not to share any space with others and it's a value-add worth mentioning even if it doesn't actually cost you anything..
Hey, Happyjacks, thank you for all these great ideas! I will take them into consideration, for sure.

lrg_maril%20bath.jpg

vanity.jpg

This is pretty. Might be a possibility. I've got a fellow coming out in a few minutes to hopefully give me some ideas. The only thing I can come up with is creating a pie shaped bathroom by angling the doorway of the guest room closet and angling the wall of the room on the other side of the closet, but we'll see what he says. You all have been so helpful and I hope I can come up with some way to do this.
I promise you will not regret it. It will cost up front, but it will return the costs with occupancy and revenue you would NOT have had otherwise.

lrg_maril%20bath.jpg

vanity.jpg

Two of our rooms have angled doorways to accommodate bathrooms. Think outside the box, so to speak!

lrg_maril%20bath.jpg

vanity.jpg

Two of our rooms have angled doorways to accommodate bathrooms. Think outside the box, so to speak!
That's what we are thinking we'll do here, also. Builder is pricing fixtures and trying to design a floor plan that might work. Plumbing might be a problem, don't know. It will be a tight squeeze and I hope men don't write bad reviews.

lrg_maril%20bath.jpg

vanity.jpg

I promise you will not regret it. It will cost up front, but it will return the costs with occupancy and revenue you would NOT have had otherwise.
I hope you're right.

lrg_maril%20bath.jpg

vanity.jpg

I hope you're right.
The room with private bath gets rented first unless someone is wanting to be on the cheap - then it is the cheapest room - full-size bed and shared bath. The mid-price room is last to go - queen with shared - unless it is made into a private bath and the third room not rented. The two sharing are taken when it is family or family traveling together.
October 5, 2012 was my biggest surprise night of the year. ALL rooms were rented (mid-price was rented at mid-price rate) and the last to book was the full-size room, knowing it was going to be shared - it was the wedding night!!! THAT is what surprised me. They wanted to be in Shinnston!!

lrg_maril%20bath.jpg

vanity.jpg

That's what we are thinking we'll do here, also. Builder is pricing fixtures and trying to design a floor plan that might work. Plumbing might be a problem, don't know. It will be a tight squeeze and I hope men don't write bad reviews.
Hope it all works out. No bad reviews if it is their own private bath as long as it is always immaculately CLEAN!

I once stayed at a place where we rented the third floor room that advertised private bath. Got there and found out the private bath was in the basement. Two flights downstairs. ummmmmm....no.
We ended up paying for the more expensive room.
But the point is, a - don't over advertise, but to the point of the thread, b - maybe there is a spot down the hall or downstairs or in an out of the way place you hadn't considered.

Here's a picture of the teeny tiny bathroom we had at a b&b in Ireland. When you sat on the john, your knees hit the wall in front, so a tall person would have to sort of sit side saddle. The small shower was on the right (not pictured)nd the sink with a mirror and outlet for hairdryer were in the bedroom area.
Was this the greatest? No, but it was acceptable, they got our business and we now look back and chuckle at that place with fond memories of experiencing something unique which you only get when you travel.
1349510253697.jpg

Back