Add-ons

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I once stayed at a place where we rented the third floor room that advertised private bath. Got there and found out the private bath was in the basement. Two flights downstairs. ummmmmm....no.
We ended up paying for the more expensive room.
But the point is, a - don't over advertise, but to the point of the thread, b - maybe there is a spot down the hall or downstairs or in an out of the way place you hadn't considered..
Sorry Beach House...we already said "en suite" You should know that across the hall won't work well either.

I once stayed at a place where we rented the third floor room that advertised private bath. Got there and found out the private bath was in the basement. Two flights downstairs. ummmmmm....no.
But the point is, a - don't over advertise, but to the point of the thread, b - maybe there is a spot down the hall or downstairs or in an out of the way place you hadn't considered..
Sorry Beach House...we already said "en suite" You should know that across the hall won't work well either.
EmptyNest said:
ok, sorry, so my story is useless? Not interesting? Not on point?
my most popular room is the only one with a down the hall bathroom. just sayin'.
forgive me.

EmptyNest said:
my most popular room is the only one with a down the hall bathroom. just sayin'.
forgive me.
TheBeachHouse said:
EmptyNest said:
forgive me.
It all depends on he clientele and location. There are many people who will not give a rip if it is down the hall as long as it is private - but that will only fly in some locations. I am fortunate that I get people who are not too snooty to go down the hall in the robes i have provided. I WILL say though that for the most part, en suite is the way to go if possible.

EmptyNest said:
forgive me.
have you not been reading any of Maddies tales about her hall bathroom???

EmptyNest said:
forgive me.
TheBeachHouse said:
EmptyNest said:
forgive me.
It all depends on he clientele and location. There are many people who will not give a rip if it is down the hall as long as it is private - but that will only fly in some locations. I am fortunate that I get people who are not too snooty to go down the hall in the robes i have provided. I WILL say though that for the most part, en suite is the way to go if possible.
Not snooty at all. If I need to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night...which I usually do...I don't want to go down the hall ANYWHERE.

EmptyNest said:
forgive me.
TheBeachHouse said:
EmptyNest said:
forgive me.
Not snooty at all. If I need to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night...which I usually do...I don't want to go down the hall ANYWHERE.
I agree en suite is best, but Beach House gets a different clientele than Maddie. Maddie gets the guests I do not EVER want to find me. I will tell KatesCottage to make en suite unequivocally, but I will never make anyone feel their place is less than nice if they have a bathroom "down the hall". We have to work with what we have. And that is what I have to work with. I do not have enough money to change the bathroom situation. I started out underfunded (surprise!!) - raising 6 kids was not cheap. I found out a long time ago that my comfort zone is "broke" and I will do what I do with what I have and not worry about it. We all know that what makes people choose one room over another has no rhyme or reason. I had several people - even after the private bath was created - who called my full-size room next to that bathroom in the hall "is MY room available?"
That is what makes us all different. You would never use a hot tub away from home yet gurus are still telling innkeepers they MUST have them. Why if people are not going to use them? Then there are people like me who do not give a rip about the amenities - just give me a comfortable bed, a bathroom nearby (and a robe if it is not in the room), and GOOD food and I am happy. It is because we are so different and our guests are so different that B & Bs are the way to stay. No one is absolutely right nor wrong. I apologize if snooty was the wrong word to use - we step on toes sometimes without meaning to.

EmptyNest said:
forgive me.
TheBeachHouse said:
EmptyNest said:
forgive me.
I agree en suite is best, but Beach House gets a different clientele than Maddie. Maddie gets the guests I do not EVER want to find me. I will tell KatesCottage to make en suite unequivocally, but I will never make anyone feel their place is less than nice if they have a bathroom "down the hall". We have to work with what we have. And that is what I have to work with. I do not have enough money to change the bathroom situation. I started out underfunded (surprise!!) - raising 6 kids was not cheap. I found out a long time ago that my comfort zone is "broke" and I will do what I do with what I have and not worry about it. We all know that what makes people choose one room over another has no rhyme or reason. I had several people - even after the private bath was created - who called my full-size room next to that bathroom in the hall "is MY room available?"
That is what makes us all different. You would never use a hot tub away from home yet gurus are still telling innkeepers they MUST have them. Why if people are not going to use them? Then there are people like me who do not give a rip about the amenities - just give me a comfortable bed, a bathroom nearby (and a robe if it is not in the room), and GOOD food and I am happy. It is because we are so different and our guests are so different that B & Bs are the way to stay. No one is absolutely right nor wrong. I apologize if snooty was the wrong word to use - we step on toes sometimes without meaning to.
If it makes the point we were 12 bedrooms - cut one in half room 5 to make an ensuite for 6 which was a single with a private bathroom and a much larger bathroom for room 4 and then knocked out the bathroom for that room which was very small to make the bedroom bigger - was a bit worried about loosing a bedroom would loose revenue, however we did it last feb and had the best ever august, sept, oct, nov and December which shows charging more for better rooms is better - also 1 less breakfast to do, 1 less car to get parked and so on.
I would also say in my town single rooms with shared go for about £30 single rooms with private bathrooms go for £up to 40 and I can and do get £55 for mine - if I am getting 20-30 dollars more every time I let the room (and its very frequent) ive nearly paid for the work in the increased charge in a year - then after that its all profit.

EmptyNest said:
forgive me.
TheBeachHouse said:
EmptyNest said:
forgive me.
Hi guys,
I am still listening to you all. I met with my carpenter and plumber yesterday and we are trying to work out an arrangement to add a small bath to my second, smaller guest room. We think we have it together. I have to go price/choose fixtures today. My concern is that this will somewhat butcher the house in the long run and certainly the space inside that room. But I suppose another bath could be a plus when someday listing for resale. I can cut a doorway through the wall of my larger bedroom into the existing adjacent bath, thus creating a private bath for that room with little damage. Please understand that I am very reluctant to do this, simply based on the fact that I don't want to ruin the house. I chose this house because it has been beautifully upgraded and met all the requirements on my mental checklist. I felt everything about it was right for what I wanted to do. When I originally ventured into this idea I wasn't so concerned about occupancy rate. I simply wanted to share my home with travelers and that hasn't changed. I had no idea that private baths are such a necessity.

EmptyNest said:
forgive me.
EmptyNest said:
not at all the point. last try.
IF it is not possible to add a bathroom to your existing bedroom, then think outside the box. Look under the stairs, in a hall closet, in the existing bath. Can it be cut into two baths?
Private bath is better than shared bath. Attached is best. But if you can't do that, look further.
Honestly, there is more than black and white. There are countless shades of grey in the world. Embrace grey.

Kate are the rooms sizable? I ask I was recently at a B&B in Blue Ridge Georgia that added bathrooms INTO THE ROOMS. I wish I had more photos to share.
This was added after the fact and a little octagon in the room itself...the restroom to the right.
lrg_maril%20bath.jpg

lrg_Blue%20Ridge%20Inn%20Bed%20and%20Breakfast%20bathroom2_Innspiring%20road%20trip.jpg
If I knew how to upload a photo of my room I would show it to you. My room is not this large. I was just looking at it to see if I could somehow convert the closet into the room like the photo above. Nada. It woul eat up most of the floor space. My only option, as I can see it, is to build a bathroom onto the back of the house and use the window (there are two) as a doorway into the bath. Sounds pricey. These are second floor bedrooms. It would require a roof and walls, etc. I could have a contractor come and look the room over and let me know my options. I shudder to think of the cost. Another possible option is to expand the back of the closet in that room into the third, tiny bedroom, making that one not much more than a closet itself. Hmmm...
Kate, I had those closets. I also had the pull-down stairs access to the attic in the 4th bedroom. Here is what I did. moved the access to the other side of the room, removed the "closet" wall making a passage into the new bathroom, took half the room to make a long narrow room that has sink, claw-foot, toilet (handicap height which I recommend to use, not the ones stolen from a daycare center in height), and a 48 inch shower. On both sides of the passage there are now closets because of the space behind the fireplaces and the outside wall on the other side - the closets were about 4 feet wide and 12 inches deep. The door to the other bathroom was moved about 8 inches to accommodate the shower - needed the depth for the new shower. What I am left with is a room that holds my extra linens, cleaning supplies, and anything else DH wants kept, but NOT in his area. Should (god forbid) this return to residence status, it will be large enough to be a child's room, computer room, or small office. The window is still there.
The toilet was raised to give the needed angle for "flow" and the plumbing tied into the existing. It took me 10 years to figure out how to do it.
I don't think I have that much room to work with. I measured everything out in the second guest room and I think we can open up the closet wall just inside the door and squeeze a small shower stall into that area. The sink and toilet will have to go along the bedroom wall just inside the entry door, creating an L shaped space. Then we will wall it all in, but doing this will make a very ordinary sized bedroom with little walk space. Plumbing will be an issue because of a large support beam just under the floor here. That may be costly. Sigh.

EmptyNest said:
forgive me.
EmptyNest said:
not at all the point. last try.
IF it is not possible to add a bathroom to your existing bedroom, then think outside the box. Look under the stairs, in a hall closet, in the existing bath. Can it be cut into two baths?
Private bath is better than shared bath. Attached is best. But if you can't do that, look further.
Honestly, there is more than black and white. There are countless shades of grey in the world. Embrace grey.
TheBeachHouse said:
Like that - embrace gray!
Whenever I listen to a guest carping about the bathroom that somehow they did not know was across the hall, I review the whole layout upstairs and try to figure how the OO's could have laid things out better. Maybe with a complete gut job they could have but they did the best that was possible with the footprint they had.
We have considered making the bedroom with the bath across the hall into a second bedroom of a suite. Just to end the carping.
We've thought about hacking into the attic above and putting the bedroom up there and the bathroom where the bedroom is. Or vice versa. Once we break into the attic, tho, we have to run the fire sprinkler system up there. It snowballs fast!
But, that room makes 2 mortgage payments for us all on its own, just the way it is, so it stays just the way it is.
I am ofter surprised to find guests booking that room for a week. I hope they get the situation (which is why I also have a floor plan on the website). Most just want to save themselves the extra $20/night.
Bookings in that room jumped last year after the reno, so keeping the rooms that are a little 'sorry' in tip top shape also helps. That room is getting a new bed this year.

EmptyNest said:
forgive me.
TheBeachHouse said:
EmptyNest said:
forgive me.
Hi guys,
I am still listening to you all. I met with my carpenter and plumber yesterday and we are trying to work out an arrangement to add a small bath to my second, smaller guest room. We think we have it together. I have to go price/choose fixtures today. My concern is that this will somewhat butcher the house in the long run and certainly the space inside that room. But I suppose another bath could be a plus when someday listing for resale. I can cut a doorway through the wall of my larger bedroom into the existing adjacent bath, thus creating a private bath for that room with little damage. Please understand that I am very reluctant to do this, simply based on the fact that I don't want to ruin the house. I chose this house because it has been beautifully upgraded and met all the requirements on my mental checklist. I felt everything about it was right for what I wanted to do. When I originally ventured into this idea I wasn't so concerned about occupancy rate. I simply wanted to share my home with travelers and that hasn't changed. I had no idea that private baths are such a necessity.
KatesCottage161 said:
...I don't want to ruin the house...When I originally ventured into this idea I wasn't so concerned about occupancy rate. I simply wanted to share my home with travelers and that hasn't changed.
That's the basic decision you must make before you proceed. Are you running a business that needs to be successful, or are you running a hobby and it really doesn't matter, financially, if people come or not.
If it's a hobby, and business success isn't an issue, then do what you really want and have shared bathrooms. It will hurt the business, but if that's not a high priority, then it's OK. You can enjoy the people who do come, and keep your house the way you want it.
Just re-read the advice above about how it will be harder to change later than to do it up front, not just based on the construction work, but also to undo damage to the place's reputation as not having private bathrooms in the bedrooms.
Realize that Europe is full of buildings MUCH older than yours and they have become experts at modifying them to work as modern lodging while keeping the character of the old structure. It can be done, and is done all the time.

EmptyNest said:
forgive me.
TheBeachHouse said:
EmptyNest said:
forgive me.
Hi guys,
KatesCottage161 said:
...I don't want to ruin the house...When I originally ventured into this idea I wasn't so concerned about occupancy rate. I simply wanted to share my home with travelers and that hasn't changed.
That's the basic decision you must make before you proceed. Are you running a business that needs to be successful, or are you running a hobby and it really doesn't matter, financially, if people come or not.
If it's a hobby, and business success isn't an issue, then do what you really want and have shared bathrooms. It will hurt the business, but if that's not a high priority, then it's OK. You can enjoy the people who do come, and keep your house the way you want it.
Just re-read the advice above about how it will be harder to change later than to do it up front, not just based on the construction work, but also to undo damage to the place's reputation as not having private bathrooms in the bedrooms.
Realize that Europe is full of buildings MUCH older than yours and they have become experts at modifying them to work as modern lodging while keeping the character of the old structure. It can be done, and is done all the time.
Arks said:
KatesCottage161 said:
If it's a hobby, and business success isn't an issue, then do what you really want and have shared bathrooms. It will hurt the business, but if that's not a high priority, then it's OK. You can enjoy the ones who do come, and keep your house the way you want it.
THIS is the BEST advice!! It all depends on what YOU (Kate) want this to be. If you want/need income from it - go private. If you just want to have visitors (paid of course) if and when they come, leave it alone. Just remember that whichever way you go, you WILL have expenses for insurance, taxes, and marketing.

EmptyNest said:
forgive me.
TheBeachHouse said:
EmptyNest said:
forgive me.
Hi guys,
KatesCottage161 said:
The bath is not totally out of the question. I'm still kicking the idea around. I may have found a bath design that could work: http://freshome.com/2012/10/09/30-small-bathroom-design-ideas/small_bathroom/ Fixtures are small and compact. If I can do this and still keep the integrity of the house I won't mind.

EmptyNest said:
forgive me.
TheBeachHouse said:
EmptyNest said:
forgive me.
Hi guys,
KatesCottage161 said:
The bath is not totally out of the question. I'm still kicking the idea around. I may have found a bath design that could work: http://freshome.com/2012/10/09/30-small-bathroom-design-ideas/small_bathroom/ Fixtures are small and compact. If I can do this and still keep the integrity of the house I won't mind.
Those sinks are at Lowe's and they are really sharp looking. Oddly, that sink is too big for one bathroom here! The bowl would stick out beyond the door frame. It is the last sink that we cannot fix.
That bathroom is cute BTW!
Good luck with the planning and hopefully you can get another bathroom in!

EmptyNest said:
forgive me.
TheBeachHouse said:
EmptyNest said:
forgive me.
Hi guys,
KatesCottage161 said:
KatesCottage161 said:
BTW that grey tile is on sale at our LOWE's BIG TIME right now... It is 1/3 the price of any other tile. It may just be our Lowe's I am not sure. Even the smaller 12 x 12 of multiples is on sale. (you cut those for accent pieces)

EmptyNest said:
forgive me.
TheBeachHouse said:
EmptyNest said:
forgive me.
Hi guys,
KatesCottage161 said:
KatesCottage161 said:
BTW that grey tile is on sale at our LOWE's BIG TIME right now... It is 1/3 the price of any other tile. It may just be our Lowe's I am not sure. Even the smaller 12 x 12 of multiples is on sale. (you cut those for accent pieces)
Joey Bloggs said:
KatesCottage161 said:
Good to know, we are redoing one or two bathroom floors, too.

Maybe find a wrecked camper that still has a usable bathroom ;-)
bathroom.jpg

bathroom.jpg
Arks said:
bathroom.jpg
This sorta reminded me of our dear friend who is now passed on, built his bathroom like a ships bathroom (he built many ships) and it was a neat thing, almost like a sauna room, everything and anything could get wet while showering.

Here's what we've got in our cottage. It's a very tiny separate john area with barely enough room to be able to close the door. The half wall is in the bedroom and separates the sink & tub from the rest of the room.
Yes, we get some complaints about the size of the john area, but they just have to deal with it. Never a bad TA review about it.
DSCN0958%20%28360x640%29.jpg
DSCN0955%20%28640x360%29.jpg

The head of the bed goes up against this half wall. I have the room torn apart because I've just sanded and restained the wood.
When I check in people, I make a joke of the john area. After I started joking about it, they kind of stopped complaining about it.

Back