air conditioners

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can get it to work. Probably will need an outside unit for each side of the house. You'll have to ask a professional for an estimate. Cost depends on the individual situation, size of the rooms being cooled, etc.
Ballpark for 3 separate rooms with their own temperature control: "a few thousand"
You may have to go to Morgantown, Parkersburg, or farther, to find someone who installs these, but start locally..
I think this will have to be something for the next innkeeper to tackle. At my stage of life, a few thousand that I cannot recoup (as in something I cannot charge extra for having since this is an expected), is something the next one will be doing. I do not expect DH to go another 20 years (nor me either). Now if I got a lot of elopements to stock up on that elusive item called cash, I may think about it - AFTER I paid off the roof & car loans.

Log cabin so we can't just put in any kind of AC unit. Have window units with timers. Although I don't like the look, it's the only thing that works in most rooms and we have as quiet of a unit as we can get. They also have a great feature - a built-in timer. When we go in and a guest has left the AC on (and expects it to still be on when they return - WASTEFUL), we put it on the 4-6 hour timer and it turns back on most times just before they return. If they tell me they'll be gone until dinner time, then I set it for a later restart. They return to a cool room yet I haven't paid for AC all day. One room the window is too small so I have a standing AC unit. Much quieter and it's on the side, the end of the room has huge sliding glass doors so it doesn't take up the view. Paid $299 for a 12,000 BTU size. Since the room is huge (24'x36') there isn't an issue as to it being in the corner and taking up space. I would rather have the quieter, more efficient at cooling stand-alone taking up just a few inches of the window's view than the window units any day.
Just had a guest email yesterday who is coming from New York on Memorial Day. Wanted to be sure that since Memorial Day is "the official start of summer" that I'd have the AC units in. Said no, we put the in mid-June up here in the North Country and joked how last year on Memorial Day we got 3" of snow - the golf courses were completely covered and everyone was in shock. Don't need AC up here but for about 6-10 days a year but they all won't book until they confirm we have it.

Log cabin so we can't just put in any kind of AC unit. Have window units with timers. Although I don't like the look, it's the only thing that works in most rooms and we have as quiet of a unit as we can get. They also have a great feature - a built-in timer. When we go in and a guest has left the AC on (and expects it to still be on when they return - WASTEFUL), we put it on the 4-6 hour timer and it turns back on most times just before they return. If they tell me they'll be gone until dinner time, then I set it for a later restart. They return to a cool room yet I haven't paid for AC all day. One room the window is too small so I have a standing AC unit. Much quieter and it's on the side, the end of the room has huge sliding glass doors so it doesn't take up the view. Paid $299 for a 12,000 BTU size. Since the room is huge (24'x36') there isn't an issue as to it being in the corner and taking up space. I would rather have the quieter, more efficient at cooling stand-alone taking up just a few inches of the window's view than the window units any day.
Just had a guest email yesterday who is coming from New York on Memorial Day. Wanted to be sure that since Memorial Day is "the official start of summer" that I'd have the AC units in. Said no, we put the in mid-June up here in the North Country and joked how last year on Memorial Day we got 3" of snow - the golf courses were completely covered and everyone was in shock. Don't need AC up here but for about 6-10 days a year but they all won't book until they confirm we have it..
Last year was the first year we didn't need the a/c for memorial day weekend. Every other year that is the week it goes to 90, scares everyone and then retreats to 70 for another month!

Just had a guest email yesterday who is coming from New York on Memorial Day. Wanted to be sure that since Memorial Day is "the official start of summer" that I'd have the AC units in. Said no, we put the in mid-June up here in the North Country and joked how last year on Memorial Day we got 3" of snow - the golf courses were completely covered and everyone was in shock. Don't need AC up here but for about 6-10 days a year but they all won't book until they confirm we have it..
Last year was the first year we didn't need the a/c for memorial day weekend. Every other year that is the week it goes to 90, scares everyone and then retreats to 70 for another month!
Madeleine said:
It is supposed to break records and reach 90 degrees here today!
You know our own is our own, but when it comes to guests we have to give them proper heating and cooling, it is the way it is. NO ONE had a/c growing up. If someone had it in a vehicle they were a movie star! Things have changed, we are much more active, we do more, go further and expect to be comfortable.

Madeleine said:
You know our own is our own, but when it comes to guests we have to give them proper heating and cooling, it is the way it is. NO ONE had a/c growing up. If someone had it in a vehicle they were a movie star! Things have changed, we are much more active, we do more, go further and expect to be comfortable.
We plan a/c installation for the week before memorial day. Windows washed, a/c in, filters cleaned.
I know you hate the window units but it's all we can afford.

After all the work we've done on the house - outside, inside, plumbing, heating, structural, pretty.....my husband was almost giddy last night showing me the new electrical lines and plugs for the ac. LOL I had to laugh. But he is right.
A couple times over the winter, when two rooms both turned on their electric heaters at the same time, the circut broke. We can't have that going on. So it is fixed!!!! That was a big deal.

Madeleine said:
We plan a/c installation for the week before memorial day. Windows washed, a/c in, filters cleaned.
I know you hate the window units but it's all we can afford.
Mine go in today - it is supposed to go to 87 today and warmer tomorrow. I have a full-house coming in tomorrow - of course the next day it will cool down again.

I just came back from Spain where we experienced the portable unit with the hose that fit into a wall hole. It cooled our room nicely, but it's loud and every time it kicked on, it woke me up.
After experiencing wall units, split units and portable units, my vote is for the split system if at all possible. They work great and are quiet and good for an older house.

I just came back from Spain where we experienced the portable unit with the hose that fit into a wall hole. It cooled our room nicely, but it's loud and every time it kicked on, it woke me up.
After experiencing wall units, split units and portable units, my vote is for the split system if at all possible. They work great and are quiet and good for an older house..
Breakfast Diva said:
After experiencing wall units, split units and portable units, my vote is for the split system if at all possible. They work great and are quiet and good for an older house.
You are likely right, but we can't do anymore outside construction right now. And I'm talking about my stress level.
I honestly wake up in every hotel I stay in when the air kicks in. I hate them all. So I imagine if it keeps the room cool in extreme weather, we're ok.

After experiencing wall units, split units and portable units, my vote is for the split system if at all possible. They work great and are quiet and good for an older house..
Breakfast Diva said:
You are likely right, but we can't do anymore outside construction right now. And I'm talking about my stress level.
I honestly wake up in every hotel I stay in when the air kicks in. I hate them all. So I imagine if it keeps the room cool in extreme weather, we're ok.
TheBeachHouse said:
Breakfast Diva said:
You've done so much to your place already! It's just something to keep in mind for the future. We are so fortunate here to have weather that doesn't need air conditioning. We provide fans for those few hotter days. A HOT day here is about 82 and it cools down at night. We only have those a few days a year.

Breakfast Diva said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Breakfast Diva said:
You've done so much to your place already! It's just something to keep in mind for the future. We are so fortunate here to have weather that doesn't need air conditioning. We provide fans for those few hotter days. A HOT day here is about 82 and it cools down at night. We only have those a few days a year.
Breakfast Diva said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Breakfast Diva said:
Totally agree! I would prefer no ac at all. They will be tucked into the closets until needed. We only need them two weeks a year. But I know there are people who can't live without them. And if you look at the checklist of amenities of all the inns in our town, we were the only one that said, 'no' next to ac. So it's an upgrade, but probably not the last word.

Breakfast Diva said:
Problem is that you won't get repeat guests if they are kept awake by the AC. Many of the B+Bs here in our area do not have AC because we get the same ocean breeze that you get. But I have found that the split system pays for itself in returning guest reservations. Even if they don't use it the second visit, they like having the option in case we get a heat wave.
Check out the tax credits (Fed) and rebates etc for the split system...we got a pretty good deal a couple of years ago between the rebate and tax credit.

BD..I am with you. If I had a choice I would go the splits route for sure...so quiet. I hate noisy AC's

BD..I am with you. If I had a choice I would go the splits route for sure...so quiet. I hate noisy AC's
EmptyNest said:
thumbs_up.gif

But I also don't like coming back to a room that is 10,000 degrees and having to wait 3 hours for it to cool down. That is the prob with some units.
I just had two very large women check in, it is warm here and there is nothing else we can do to get it any cooler. The a/c is working full time. I gave them some iced drinks and it is 75 up there. It is warmer down here where I sit. One came down and got two more diet sodas from the guest fridge. They are overheated from nothing else than walking up the stairs, sad to say.

You all hate the A/C units but you are not my guests. My guests want to know if there is A/C and they are going to have A/C - but only the A/C I can afford. No A/C - no bookings. The rolling unit from last year is programmable. IF A/C wakes a guest, they are quite able to turn the darn thing off - THEY control it. My windows open for cool air in the evening. Each room controls their own climate. That is why I do not like central air - everyone is locked into the temp determined by the person in control of the thermostat. The guests who were in the room I purchased the rolling unit for last year loved it. They were long-term and kind enough to turn it off when they left in the morning. She said when they got back in the evening, they could turn it on and by the time they got their showers to clean up after work, the room was cool. I do not think I would be able to get a split unit for the two rooms on the same side of the house for the $550 it is going to cost me for 2 more rolling units. I am going to sane my back and get rid of the ugly hanging out the windows. DH liked the look of the house with the rolling unit installed that he is even going to contribute to the cause. Woohoo.

I'll point out that a lot of people LIKE the sound of a fan or motor running at night. I guess it's a "white noise" effect. Another example of some people's garbage being other people's treasure.

I'll point out that a lot of people LIKE the sound of a fan or motor running at night. I guess it's a "white noise" effect. Another example of some people's garbage being other people's treasure..
We've had people undo the winter batting on the a/c to run the fan.
But, I won't run the a/c in my own bedroom because I hate the noise. I have a window fan.
I totally get the noise thing. The split system is on the list but the roof is first. And the 2 new boilers were more useful as it gets colder here more than hotter.
Plus, the noise from those was bed rattling and now it's quiet.

I'll point out that a lot of people LIKE the sound of a fan or motor running at night. I guess it's a "white noise" effect. Another example of some people's garbage being other people's treasure..
But, I won't run the a/c in my own bedroom because I hate the noise. I have a window fan.
I totally get the noise thing. The split system is on the list but the roof is first. And the 2 new boilers were more useful as it gets colder here more than hotter.
We put the cord in with the winter batting. If they can't get the cord, they can't run it :)
I really don't understand people sometimes. We had one that complained that she couldn't use the AC in the fall, when it was colder outside than inside. The window... just didn't occur to them!

We put the cord in with the winter batting. If they can't get the cord, they can't run it :)
I really don't understand people sometimes. We had one that complained that she couldn't use the AC in the fall, when it was colder outside than inside. The window... just didn't occur to them!
The cord IS inside. They disassemble it! We were supposed to do locking covers this year. Another project uncompleted.

The cord IS inside. They disassemble it! We were supposed to do locking covers this year. Another project uncompleted.
It is amazing the nonsense that guests will do.

Back