air conditioners

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Right. I would rather be able to open the window and hear the ocean. But not everyone agrees with me, so AC going in.
Anyone know of a place that sells them wholesale? We need 4 and possible 6..
TheBeachHouse said:
Right. I would rather be able to open the window and hear the ocean. But not everyone agrees with me, so AC going in.
Anyone know of a place that sells them wholesale? We need 4 and possible 6.
It kinda depends on how you will use these units. Do you want them to heat and cool? Or just cool. Are they window units or central heat/cooling blowing through registers? Some units you will need a license to buy them, some you won't. This product http://www.fujitsugeneral.com are extremely good Seer rating. I'm not sure what you need but am willing to help you anyway I can.
We looked at these unites about 8 years ago. But it does not work if you have multi room suite. As the cool are does not reach every where. To make it work we would need several wall outlets. We have a split 5 level house and finding the location to mount the compressor proved too difficult. We looked at using 3 compressor and doing cooling zones. the cost was huge!!!! We sure like how it would of worked if only doing one room. But the cool air just would not bend around walls to cool the other rooms. So we had to go with the window A/C.

my top floor (third floor) rooms on the harbor got unbearably hot. attic hot. i think the new owners installed window sills to hold window a/c's as those rooms were brutal. IF they rented at all i had complaint after complaint about the heat in july and august. and requests for refunds. we tried all kinds of a/c's that didn't fit in the window because there was no sill to speak of... ..we tried all kinds on wheels with big hoses .. nothing worked. waste of money. looking back, i should have done the big install right from the get go. i'm sure there are better a/c's now.

CR magazine just gave bad reviews to portable A/Cs...
Think of a portable A/C as the air conditioner of last resort, if you can't mount a window or wall model. They're better than a fan, but not much. Even the largest we tested struggled to cool a 250-square-foot space down to the 78 F the government considers minimal for comfort, despite claims of up to 550 square feet right on the box.
The best window A/Cs chill an area quickly and efficiently by cooling and recirculating inside air air and releasing mainly heat to the outdoors. By contrast, portable units must continuously draw in unconditioned air from surrounding areas as they exhaust hot air through a long, ungainly hose that vents through a window. The result is a vacuum effect that keeps room temperatures relatively torrid by constantly pulling warmer air into the room. Indeed, about 20 to 40 percent of portable A/Cs are returned by unhappy customers.

Think of a portable A/C as the air conditioner of last resort, if you can't mount a window or wall model. They're better than a fan, but not much. Even the largest we tested struggled to cool a 250-square-foot space down to the 78 F the government considers minimal for comfort, despite claims of up to 550 square feet right on the box.
The best window A/Cs chill an area quickly and efficiently by cooling and recirculating inside air air and releasing mainly heat to the outdoors. By contrast, portable units must continuously draw in unconditioned air from surrounding areas as they exhaust hot air through a long, ungainly hose that vents through a window. The result is a vacuum effect that keeps room temperatures relatively torrid by constantly pulling warmer air into the room. Indeed, about 20 to 40 percent of portable A/Cs are returned by unhappy customers..
I always thought those on the floor in room air conditioners were a joke. The mini splits would be the way to go if at all possible especially in the attic area.

We are in a prime Tropical location and use Inverter Splits.
The old RAC's ( Box Room Air Cons) we call window rattlers. We have kept them still in the rooms as a back up.
Portable A/C's and Evaps on wheels are useless.
I would recommend buying a good quality brand. Some cheapies our tradespersons will not install. We also have strict regulations regarding refrigerant gas complience so I would check conformity on this.
An upgrade to the electrical switchboard may also be required.
Filters must be regularly cleaned and the coils as well.
The only issue we have is guest education on refigerated air con use. They automatically will grab the control and put it on the lowest temp and highest cool fan speed. They Nick off for the day leaving all doors and louvres open. !!( even though this is addressed through signage and as part of the check in process). You can just imagine the dripping water and wetness in the suites. We now use generic controls that only permit a 3 deg C variance to manufacturers recommended temp control.

The best window A/Cs chill an area quickly and efficiently by cooling and recirculating inside air air and releasing mainly heat to the outdoors. By contrast, portable units must continuously draw in unconditioned air from surrounding areas as they exhaust hot air through a long, ungainly hose that vents through a window. The result is a vacuum effect that keeps room temperatures relatively torrid by constantly pulling warmer air into the room. Indeed, about 20 to 40 percent of portable A/Cs are returned by unhappy customers..
I always thought those on the floor in room air conditioners were a joke. The mini splits would be the way to go if at all possible especially in the attic area.
EmptyNest said:
They work great.

I just came back from Spain where we experienced the portable unit with the hose that fit into a wall hole. It cooled our room nicely, but it's loud and every time it kicked on, it woke me up.
After experiencing wall units, split units and portable units, my vote is for the split system if at all possible. They work great and are quiet and good for an older house..
BD..I am with you. If I had a choice I would go the splits route for sure...so quiet. I hate noisy AC's
EmptyNest said:
BD..I am with you. If I had a choice I would go the splits route for sure...so quiet. I hate noisy AC's
thumbs_up.gif

But I also don't like coming back to a room that is 10,000 degrees and having to wait 3 hours for it to cool down. That is the prob with some units.
I just had two very large women check in, it is warm here and there is nothing else we can do to get it any cooler. The a/c is working full time. I gave them some iced drinks and it is 75 up there. It is warmer down here where I sit. One came down and got two more diet sodas from the guest fridge. They are overheated from nothing else than walking up the stairs, sad to say.
It also could be from not drinking enough water in the day. Sodas do not help keep you cool. Good cold water with ice is best.
We give our guest ice water with fresh lemon slices or raspberries floating in the very cold water. No sugar just plain cold ice water. they also can take the sodas . But nine times out of ten they pick the Ice water .

Back