Air reviews

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Air review stated in the private part to make it perfect would like a clock and box of tissues in the room
(1) I can't stand ticking clocks and refuse to have digital because of the light - so no
(2) tissues - people just steal them this is why we stopped doing them - plenty of look role and it does the same thing..
We got one asking for more breakfast choices. There's fruit, cereal, oatmeal, yogurt, the entrée with a side of meat and a bread.
You can choose from those things but no, you don't get to tell the cook you want poached eggs when everyone else is having pancakes.
And nowhere, absolutely nowhere, do we say there is a choice of breakfast. Except by the cook.
Goes back to expectations. People do not usually read policies, but come with their own past experiences.
Maybe that is what they have many days at home, or what they like when they eat breakfast out.
Is there any way to reinforce your policy that bfast is chef's choice in the serving room, or something in their room about this?
undersea said:
Goes back to expectations. People do not usually read policies, but come with their own past experiences.
Maybe that is what they have many days at home, or what they like when they eat breakfast out.
Is there any way to reinforce your policy that bfast is chef's choice in the serving room, or something in their room about this?
Yes, it is about expectations. We do try to head it off at the pass with the website and email confirmation. Doesn't anyways work. This week I threw in the towel. So many deciding at the breakfast table that they don't eat gluten. This after being asked point blank at check in if there are any foods they can't eat.
I pointed them in the direction of the gf cereal and the yogurt. Help yourself. I didn't actually say, "we're not making something special for you," but we didn't make something special. If I have some notice, ok. But not as I'm bringing the plates out.
Usually I would offer eggs but this ain't a stinkin' restaurant.

Tissues please
And if the alarm clock is in the drawer, please let me know it's in there.
I anticipated that boxes of tissues might walk away. But not the t.p. on the roll. They rarely took either ... unless someone had a cold. Often guests think they are right in taking them if they're in their room. Same with little soaps and mini shampoos. I always thought the soap and shampoo were for me as a guest to use or take. Never thought of it as theft. But I prefer my own stuff and need like 1/2 gallon of conditioner ... so I mostly leave those things untouched..
Because those little amenity bottles get thrown out I always take then if I liked the product. Sometimes the housekeeper would just leave me a bunch of them if I kept taking the one that was out (and putting it in my suitcase-i really like some of those products a lot!) Good way to build up your tip. ;-)
But tissues? I'd have to be really sick. We've had guests ask where's the nearest store to go buy a box for the car. I just open the closet and hand over a box. But that's asking, not taking.
I came home with 5 pyramid shaped soaps from my stay for my son's wedding. They must be used to that, they just lined then up for me after the second day.
See, that what kills me.... if they had asked I would have handed over nice new boxes. I mean I pay just 60c a box... those are like $2 each!
Baby Puss said:
See, that what kills me.... if they had asked I would have handed over nice new boxes. I mean I pay just 60c a box... those are like $2 each!
Let it go grasshopper.

Air review stated in the private part to make it perfect would like a clock and box of tissues in the room
(1) I can't stand ticking clocks and refuse to have digital because of the light - so no
(2) tissues - people just steal them this is why we stopped doing them - plenty of look role and it does the same thing..
We got one asking for more breakfast choices. There's fruit, cereal, oatmeal, yogurt, the entrée with a side of meat and a bread.
You can choose from those things but no, you don't get to tell the cook you want poached eggs when everyone else is having pancakes.
And nowhere, absolutely nowhere, do we say there is a choice of breakfast. Except by the cook.
Morticia said:
Our poor reviews both mentioned that breakfast was a buffet (like a La Quinta or Hampton Inn.) I didn't think that was fair since we advertise continental. Nowhere do we even hint a plated, made to order breakfast. People!
TheBeachHouse said:
Morticia said:
Our poor reviews both mentioned that breakfast was a buffet (like a La Quinta or Hampton Inn.) I didn't think that was fair since we advertise continental. Nowhere do we even hint a plated, made to order breakfast. People!
And your hubster includes in his welcome spiel that it's a continental, right? Maybe to make a deeper impression on those who drop in or don't read, he can say, "per board of health regulations we serve an expanded continental breakfast between (times) so they get it's out of your control.
Morticia said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Morticia said:
And your hubster includes in his welcome spiel that it's a continental, right? Maybe to make a deeper impression on those who drop in or don't read, he can say, "per board of health regulations we serve an expanded continental breakfast between (times) so they get it's out of your control.
Yes, we both say, self-serve buffet, so come anytime between 8 and 10. We don't mention rules and regulations, just the "self serve" part and the timing.
I would suggest this is all in the marketing. If in fact you say buffet, now would be an opportunity to reconsider your choice of words.
Note that your reviewer did not mention the lack of a plated made to order breakfast. They objected to a buffet.
Now bear with me a bit and please don't jump right into defensive mode about all the things you do right. That's a given.
The last buffet breakfast we had was at the blah blah inn in Leesburg Virginia. Try as they might, it never rose above what it was. There was actually fresh fruit, there was actually whole grain options, there was GF concept, there was a hot breakfast option, there was a sweets section. On and on with lots of stuff, but it never rose above the breakfast buffet.
What they did not nor could provide was attention and personal service. No one was there to tell us about their food. No one was there to answer a question about the food. No one used nice plates or made a nice arrangement of anything. No one put out nice napkins or rushed in with a simple yet unexpected addition.
Should you try a customized continental, a locally sourced continental, or even a regional continental, you may find that very little actually has to change to change the perception. This is about tweaking and selling what you already do.

Digital clocks with dimmers set on low in each of our rooms. No brainers. How are you going to make sure your guests get to breakfast on time?
Tissue box in room. Hey, it's a cost of doing business.
Secret of Customer Satisfaction: Set the expectation bar, then exceed it.

undersea said:
Yes, it is about expectations. We do try to head it off at the pass with the website and email confirmation. Doesn't anyways work. This week I threw in the towel. So many deciding at the breakfast table that they don't eat gluten. This after being asked point blank at check in if there are any foods they can't eat.
I pointed them in the direction of the gf cereal and the yogurt. Help yourself. I didn't actually say, "we're not making something special for you," but we didn't make something special. If I have some notice, ok. But not as I'm bringing the plates out.
Usually I would offer eggs but this ain't a stinkin' restaurant.
I think i am planning on eliminating the top 10 allergens, the top 25 hated foods and a few other issues (gluten, lactose, etc) from the menu, and making them special request, within reasonable limits...

Tissues please
And if the alarm clock is in the drawer, please let me know it's in there.
I anticipated that boxes of tissues might walk away. But not the t.p. on the roll. They rarely took either ... unless someone had a cold. Often guests think they are right in taking them if they're in their room. Same with little soaps and mini shampoos. I always thought the soap and shampoo were for me as a guest to use or take. Never thought of it as theft. But I prefer my own stuff and need like 1/2 gallon of conditioner ... so I mostly leave those things untouched..
Each of our bathrooms have a white dispenser which holds shampoo, conditioner, lotion, and body wash. One bottle from Dollar Store fills two containers. One container lasts about 3 to 6 months if its shampoo or body wash. The other two, about a year. The guests love them and so do we! Our little trial containers walked away daily at a dollar each. Now for two dollar we got it covered for at least 3 months. These are there to stay unless they want the tub/shower too.
Our thank you cards trot away all the time, but they have our name in them!!!!
regular_smile.gif
Which reminds me that I should buy another box of them.
Duff2014 said:
regular_smile.gif
Yes! I print up a couple a week in the summer. Hey, it's a free souvenir.
Morticia said:
Duff2014 said:
regular_smile.gif
So how do you do it? I buy a box of thank you cards and hand write our message inside. Do you put a picture of your place on it?
Duff2014 said:
Morticia said:
Duff2014 said:
regular_smile.gif
So how do you do it? I buy a box of thank you cards and hand write our message inside. Do you put a picture of your place on it?
We are so lah-di-dah here that I have them printed up. Picture of the inn on the front and pertinent info inside.
Then I run them thru the printer with our little blurb about enjoying their stay.
Morticia said:
Duff2014 said:
Morticia said:
Duff2014 said:
regular_smile.gif
We are so lah-di-dah here that I have them printed up. Picture of the inn on the front and pertinent info inside.
Then I run them thru the printer with our little blurb about enjoying their stay.
Oh dear! Keeping up with Mort is hard work!!!!!!
wink_smile.gif

Back