and here it goes...now a happy thread

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Update: This stuff happens as we deal with people.
Today a little 3 year old child was found dead, and the caretaker/young mother fled. I was out on my walk and when I came home there was a big news alert about this, anyone who has seen this woman, well I saw her, on my walk. I called the sheriffs dept...and then the wing nut called all spitting venom. Back to back horror in one day.
They have the mother in custody thanks to canine units and tips. Some days this stuff gets under your skin. What I dealt with is nothing to what others are dealing with today in our community..
Joey Bloggs said:
Update: This stuff happens as we deal with people.
Today a little 3 year old child was found dead, and the caretaker/young mother fled. I was out on my walk and when I came home there was a big news alert about this, anyone who has seen this woman, well I saw her, on my walk. I called the sheriffs dept...and then the wing nut called all spitting venom. Back to back horror in one day.
They have the mother in custody thanks to canine units and tips. Some days this stuff gets under your skin. What I dealt with is nothing to what others are dealing with today in our community.
Thank you for this post. It gave me the slap up the side of the head I needed today to Kwitcherbitchin. A month with fixing a TV (they are finally going to replace it) and dealing with Himself and his issues is inconsequential.
May your day get better. Hug that family you are blessed with and give thanks that you (and they) know so much love.

Yes Mtnkeeper
We just refunded it in full. She is sueing us, she is writing reviews, she is blasting us on fb, she is fighting it with the bank and eveyrthing else
I am spitting mad right now I cannot even type.
I CANNOT DEAL WITH THIS STUFF ANY MORE..
This is not something innkeepers should have to deal with - I once had a guest not only write a nasty review about us that I thankfully got removed from TA but she wrote on my goog plus account the nastiest things I've ever seen in print - she was upset because my husband went into the game room to replace a switch cover that had broken and he felt was bad looking and could scratch someone and it took him 5 minutes to change out a switch plate - really two small screws. He apologized to them for the intrusion but it was only 5 minutes and they stayed playing pool and then he was done and gone. She said he was homo phobic and that he was watching her and her girlfriend because he didn't like women couples and she called him every name in the book. She then said I was pathetic and live in my own stupid world where I think people enjoy my disgusting pathetic excuse for a breakfast. She wrote out all of her four letter words and then when I took that down and blocked anyone from writing on my page she found a page for nasty asses that allows them to write anything they want and called me names on that. I cried the first night I read it because I was so hurt that we had these people in our home and were nice to them and they treated us this way. Obviously she is mentally ill and has her own problems with how she deals with her lifestyle. We have plenty of same sex couples both male and female who come back here year after year and we love them. This one was just nuts! Take comfort in that it will stop at some point and she'll be pathetic and angry forever.

Two things happened from JB's meltdown:
#1) If a guest sits down for breakfast and says rudely (like they have been known to do at some of our establishments) Why would you think we eat eggs? Take that away (pushing the plate back to mean) and bring me "xyz" - this has happened here once with British guests (never again, mind you but it has happened)
We don't stop serving eggs. We don't go overboard on the pre-reservation screening process, we don't ask them on email, in person and every time we see them if they will eat eggs. Due to our new once bitten twice shy regiment. or worse.
So I cannot let one bad, or make that two bad apples spoil the bunch. I can't allow knee jerk reactions to control me or how we run this business.
#2) JB has been the primary contact for all things B&B. Literally any thing to do with running the business from website, marketing, monthly taxes, taking reservations, cooking meals, checking in guests, etc. DH does the "non guest" B&B stuff, because he can avoid any contact with the guests this way. He has his regular outside the inn job, and even that sucks our time from our after hours time together. So he deals with it by avoidance. Last night he discovered it is not working, and that from here on he will be the one to call the really late check-ins and ask them if they are showing or not, before they become a no show and toxic. He has volunteered to take this off my chest. Finally.
There is always something good to focus on, and I won't let the turkeys destroy what we have. Thank you for your care, prayers and nice comments. I will continue to treat our guests as honored visitors to this B&B.

#1) If a guest sits down for breakfast and says rudely (like they have been known to do at some of our establishments) Why would you think we eat eggs? Take that away (pushing the plate back to mean) and bring me "xyz" - this has happened here once with British guests (never again, mind you but it has happened)
We don't stop serving eggs. We don't go overboard on the pre-reservation screening process, we don't ask them on email, in person and every time we see them if they will eat eggs. Due to our new once bitten twice shy regiment. or worse.
So I cannot let one bad, or make that two bad apples spoil the bunch. I can't allow knee jerk reactions to control me or how we run this business.
#2) JB has been the primary contact for all things B&B. Literally any thing to do with running the business from website, marketing, monthly taxes, taking reservations, cooking meals, checking in guests, etc. DH does the "non guest" B&B stuff, because he can avoid any contact with the guests this way. He has his regular outside the inn job, and even that sucks our time from our after hours time together. So he deals with it by avoidance. Last night he discovered it is not working, and that from here on he will be the one to call the really late check-ins and ask them if they are showing or not, before they become a no show and toxic. He has volunteered to take this off my chest. Finally.
There is always something good to focus on, and I won't let the turkeys destroy what we have. Thank you for your care, prayers and nice comments. I will continue to treat our guests as honored visitors to this B&B..
We know you do an EXCELLENT JOB. HANG IN THERE..This too shall pass.
my thanks to your DH:)

There is always something good to focus on, and I won't let the turkeys destroy what we have. Thank you for your care, prayers and nice comments. I will continue to treat our guests as honored visitors to this B&B..
Oh, JB...I just read this. My heart breaks for you. But you are one strong women and it sounds like you have bounced back, determined to not let this PITA overshadow the hundreds of kind, thoughtful guests you have hosted over the year.
And it is a good move for DH to do the calling. Like you, I get emotional when confronted by toxic people and take it out on myself. When my DH steps in he takes that burden off my shoulders and handles it firmly but gently. I hope your DH is able to do the same and that you will never have to go through this again!
broken_heart.gif

Oh dear JB. Not good stuff. I'd like to say 'what doesn't kill us makes us stronger' but you're already one strong woman.
I've spent close to 30 years in one job or another involved customer service. I was the one that everyone gave the difficult, snobby, insulting, rude, arrogant, challenging customer. So, I guess all those years prepared me for what I could face in the future.
One thing I've learned, is never dwell on what they said to you, what you said to them, what could have, should have, or was said. You handle it the best way possible when the **** hits and then you walk away and forget about it. My DH would never be able to do any of this. He stews about everything until I tell him to stop it because he's driving me crazy. It's hard, I know, and I'm glad that you have someone that will have your back. He must be a good man. Ha, ha, I KNOW he's a good man. You found him!
heart.gif
heart.gif

Can't add to what's been said but you know we're all here for you.
broken_heart.gif

Good for you.
You set your policies, what works for you and your guests. You cannot let the 1-2% of disrespecters cause you to overrreact.
There are always a few who walk off with all the towels, who leave huge stains, argue over deposits, pita...
Every type business seems to get these.

Sometimes, we have to go through a lot of dirt before we can become a beautiful flower. Hang in there.
heart.gif

I want to say thank you for everyone who has prayed for me, and if you prayed for exceptional guests, they are here, right now.
One guest is eccentric, quirky and delightful my favorite type of guests. I get them for one more night.
He came in and saw my flyer for a band playing in town tonight and nearly hit the roof when he saw them and said "I grew up with that band! I used to dance to their music on the beach in South Carolina!"
Platinum & gold records, hall of famers, etc. The other guests didn't know and really didn't care, but when he was so excited they looked at each other like "Hm, maybe we should check it out later..."
heart.gif

75% of our guests say the same things, ask the same questions, I can answer them rote in my sleep. Every once in a while a guest comes along who is out of the box, and breaks the mold, I love those guests. I learn so much from them, and thoroughly enjoy them.

I want to say thank you for everyone who has prayed for me, and if you prayed for exceptional guests, they are here, right now.
One guest is eccentric, quirky and delightful my favorite type of guests. I get them for one more night.
He came in and saw my flyer for a band playing in town tonight and nearly hit the roof when he saw them and said "I grew up with that band! I used to dance to their music on the beach in South Carolina!"
Platinum & gold records, hall of famers, etc. The other guests didn't know and really didn't care, but when he was so excited they looked at each other like "Hm, maybe we should check it out later..."
heart.gif

75% of our guests say the same things, ask the same questions, I can answer them rote in my sleep. Every once in a while a guest comes along who is out of the box, and breaks the mold, I love those guests. I learn so much from them, and thoroughly enjoy them..
For every bad apple there is a basket full of great ones just ready to make you smile.

heart.gif

75% of our guests say the same things, ask the same questions, I can answer them rote in my sleep. Every once in a while a guest comes along who is out of the box, and breaks the mold, I love those guests. I learn so much from them, and thoroughly enjoy them..
For every bad apple there is a basket full of great ones just ready to make you smile.
Copperhead said:
Thank you!
This man is a cross between Stephen King and the Nutty Professor. That is all I can say to describe him, and I love it.

Yep, new policy time. For the second time thins year a long-term booked and cancelled the the next day (the next week last time). Both were women who were going to be on temp assignment in the area who were "reassigned". I have decided that should I get another call such as this, I am going to take a 1 week NON-REFUNDABLE deposit to hold the room.
I have said yes to women for long-term because there are so many pipeline men in the local motels/hotels. Not a good atmosphere for women. Sigh. This year has been so different with people. We usually do not get this kind of thing. Then last night I got a call at 8 PM from someone with 3 horses who found me on a site that shows in BOLD RED the stable only overnights the horses of my guests. This one not only waited until the last minute (and since he was 2 hours from me I gave him numbers of other places) but planned to stay in his trailer at the stable. I told him NO. He passed - it was going to cost too much when he planned to be back on the road at 4 AM. HE had no business having horses.

heart.gif

Glad to hear our prayers are working!!!!! Hope you have a weekend of wonderful guests!!!!!

Joey Bloggs said:
This is now a happy thread.
Check out our guests this evening...when I saw them out there I had to get a photo (on the right), 1 year later.
anniv.jpg
That's so great!! Happy Day, happy couple and a much happier innkeeper.
regular_smile.gif

What a sweet picture.
When you "catch" guests like this and take pictures, do you keep them, frame them and put them in their room the next time they come?
I have done that. Not a lot but, whenever I can and have time, I will do it

What a sweet picture.
When you "catch" guests like this and take pictures, do you keep them, frame them and put them in their room the next time they come?
I have done that. Not a lot but, whenever I can and have time, I will do it.
Iris said:
What a sweet picture.
This is the photo above (compressed) as I sent them the larger file. I didn't have a chance to do anything with it, stuffmart photo center was already closed and I had other rooms to check in, no way to do anything. But I did think about it! I thought, print it, frame it, deliver it to them with their breakfast.
Instead they had a fresh peony in a vase and a happy anniv card, and this photo was emailed, and they were thrilled and said "We already shared it on FB and emailed it to all of our family and friends!"
You may see a similar photo as a featured inn up on the top right.

What a sweet picture.
Iris said:
What a sweet picture.
This is the photo above (compressed) as I sent them the larger file. I didn't have a chance to do anything with it, stuffmart photo center was already closed and I had other rooms to check in, no way to do anything. But I did think about it! I thought, print it, frame it, deliver it to them with their breakfast.
Instead they had a fresh peony in a vase and a happy anniv card, and this photo was emailed, and they were thrilled and said "We already shared it on FB and emailed it to all of our family and friends!"
Joey Bloggs said:
wonderful. I want to stay with you. One of these days. We are thinking of going on an extended road trip in Nov. 2016...

What a sweet picture.
Iris said:
What a sweet picture.
Joey Bloggs said:
wonderful. I want to stay with you. One of these days. We are thinking of going on an extended road trip in Nov. 2016...
Iris said:
Joey Bloggs said:
You always have a room with us, any time.

Back