Are your beds comfortable?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
here's a doozie - "Do you wash your sheets after each guest?" (I've gotten that several times)
omg_smile.gif
Kay Nein said:
here's a doozie - "Do you wash your sheets after each guest?" (I've gotten that several times)
omg_smile.gif
I will say I have never heard that one.

IF you are having a conversation, IMHO it is a fair question for them to ask, they are looking for your elevator speech, are in doubt (two places on short list). Or, maybe, they just need to tell something to their spouse....

I had one the other day ~ "What makes your place so much better than the others? Why should I come there instead of going elsewhere?" Seriously? My answer was "What is this, a job interview?" Ridiculous. I'm not having this conversation with you. Book it or not. I really don't care right now!.
BananaE29 said:
I had one the other day ~ "What makes your place so much better than the others? Why should I come there instead of going elsewhere?" Seriously? My answer was "What is this, a job interview?" Ridiculous. I'm not having this conversation with you. Book it or not. I really don't care right now!
While I agree that it is rather ridiculous for a guest to ask such questions (especially if they do so with attitude -- I am not going to grovel in front of a prospective guest, begging them to stay with us), I do think these are questions that we should be asking of ourselves (when/if ever we have a quiet moment to think!) We need to know well what our "Unique Selling Proposition" is and have self-confidence that we are offering great value.
We often get, "is this the best place in town?" I ask them to hold on while I get the number for them. I don't like that kind of pressure. If you need the best it's not us.

omg_smile.gif
Kay Nein said:
omg_smile.gif
response - upon request.
The not-so-funny part, is that after the closing when our family bought this place, the PO said that sometimes she didn't wash the sheets between guests. If they were just there one night and the sheets looked clean, she'd just make the bed. She thought she was helping us out with a time-saving tip. No wonder her business tanked! smh

omg_smile.gif
Kay Nein said:
omg_smile.gif
response - upon request.
The not-so-funny part, is that after the closing when our family bought this place, the PO said that sometimes she didn't wash the sheets between guests. If they were just there one night and the sheets looked clean, she'd just make the bed. She thought she was helping us out with a time-saving tip. No wonder her business tanked! smh
Holy cow! That's so disgusting and it's hard to believe that she actually admitted that to you!

omg_smile.gif
Kay Nein said:
omg_smile.gif
response - upon request.
Holy cow! That's so disgusting and it's hard to believe that she actually admitted that to you!
She was a grumpy 83 year old woman who'd had her fill of the place. I don't think she thought anything wrong with it.

omg_smile.gif
Kay Nein said:
omg_smile.gif
response - upon request.
another top tip the PO of my neighbors place she passed on to my friend was to use a big vat of Jam/Jelly and at the end of breakfast scrape it back in to the vat - if it started crystallizing just boil it up - saves buying new jam. (bleugh)

omg_smile.gif
Kay Nein said:
omg_smile.gif
response - upon request.
another top tip the PO of my neighbors place she passed on to my friend was to use a big vat of Jam/Jelly and at the end of breakfast scrape it back in to the vat - if it started crystallizing just boil it up - saves buying new jam. (bleugh)
Eewww! The Po's here used jam pots that they just covered and put back in the fridge. I dumped those right off. Double dippers are everywhere!
I have cute small pots that are dumped after every breakfast. I ask what kind of jam the guest wants.

I can't tell you how many good dips have been made off limits for me after I see someone double dip a chip.
I'm constantly telling people to stop using anti-bacterial soaps, that we NEED exposure to microbes so we can develop immunity.
But I just cannot handle double dipping chips, and sharing other people's saliva...though I have enjoyed kissing on many occasions. But I can be selective on the kissing!

I can't tell you how many good dips have been made off limits for me after I see someone double dip a chip.
I'm constantly telling people to stop using anti-bacterial soaps, that we NEED exposure to microbes so we can develop immunity.
But I just cannot handle double dipping chips, and sharing other people's saliva...though I have enjoyed kissing on many occasions. But I can be selective on the kissing!.
I have told people to not stick that chip back in the dip. I have been glared at. I don't care.
I don't care if you are home. When you have guests, even your sister, you don't double dip.
You do not dip your bread in the olive oil, bite it and go back for more. That's why they give you a bread plate!
And yes, I keep trying to find liquid hand soap for the guest bathrooms without anti bacterial s in them.

But I just cannot handle double dipping chips, and sharing other people's saliva...though I have enjoyed kissing on many occasions. But I can be selective on the kissing!.
I have told people to not stick that chip back in the dip. I have been glared at. I don't care.
I don't care if you are home. When you have guests, even your sister, you don't double dip.
You do not dip your bread in the olive oil, bite it and go back for more. That's why they give you a bread plate!
And yes, I keep trying to find liquid hand soap for the guest bathrooms without anti bacterial s in them.
I just use the body wash liquid soap in hand dispenser. Cheapest stuff I can find. Its all soap!

I just had a call from someone who stayed at our place 20 years ago. That would have been with the original owners. One of her major questions was if we've replaced the beds since then!
Uh, YEAH!!!!!

Madeleine said:
While we're on the subject, don't bother offering me a piece of birthday cake if someone has just iced it with their breath as they sputtered/blew out way too many candles!

I just had a call from someone who stayed at our place 20 years ago. That would have been with the original owners. One of her major questions was if we've replaced the beds since then!
Uh, YEAH!!!!!.
We still have 3 original bed sets left. Next year! I've done 6 bed sets so far. It's a big outlay every year to change out another one.

I had one the other day ~ "What makes your place so much better than the others? Why should I come there instead of going elsewhere?" Seriously? My answer was "What is this, a job interview?" Ridiculous. I'm not having this conversation with you. Book it or not. I really don't care right now!.
BananaE29 said:
I had one the other day ~ "What makes your place so much better than the others? Why should I come there instead of going elsewhere?" Seriously? My answer was "What is this, a job interview?" Ridiculous. I'm not having this conversation with you. Book it or not. I really don't care right now!
But it has such a simple answer! No other B & B has ME!

Madeleine said:
While we're on the subject, don't bother offering me a piece of birthday cake if someone has just iced it with their breath as they sputtered/blew out way too many candles!
Arks said:
Madeleine said:
Stay with us we use a sparkler!

omg_smile.gif
After giving this section a good read. I feel this sure tells me we really do need to educate the public on B&Bs. How it is a better way to stay. Also jam do and do not's! why is there spoons beside their jam jars? do you think it means take a clean spoon to get some jam out no double dipping?!! I change mine to there own wee dish beside there place setting just for them. I found these tiny dishes with a split down the middle. They can have a choice of two jams. So far it works great.
Sure beat the Hotel and motels. Never mind this kill the dollies stuff. How often in the pass did H &M change their mattress. How comfortable were they? Did they or their staff check out if there beds were comfortable? Did they ever check out their rooms to see how quiet it was? Also their bed cover ... So many stains. Their carpets...need I say any more.
Remember how rough their sheets were?How their mattress covers never stayed put on the mattress.The industry has just spent millions dollars on just that beds and decorating to make guests feel comfortable and now more are offering breakfast also. The Minnie bars are disappearing out of the rooms. But you still have to pay for Water! LOL
We as B&B owners spoil our guest with so many perks and good will. It is too bad Joe public just does not understand what B&Bs offer that is so sweet and so good for ones soul. Also their wallets ...What a good bargain we offer.

Even better if they ask "Is your place clean?" !!! No, we are #2 in town because we are filthy.

omg_smile.gif
Kay Nein said:
omg_smile.gif
response - upon request.
yak!

Back