Arrrrgh!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, now the roof is full of snow. No TV installation until it melts.
It was going to be a nice surprise for guests next weekend. Now it'll have to wait until spring. At least I haven't updated any websites yet.
Believe it or not, with 4" of snow on the roof, there is someone up there right now installing a new dish..
No way!
'Tis very beautiful snow, by the way
Momma Smurf said:
No way!
Yes, lovely snow. But very slippery. Accidents everywhere.
Poppa & I are staying put. 'Sides I have 4 months of Quicken entries that I've let slide to keep me occupied.

It was going to be a nice surprise for guests next weekend. Now it'll have to wait until spring. At least I haven't updated any websites yet.
Believe it or not, with 4" of snow on the roof, there is someone up there right now installing a new dish..
No way!
Momma Smurf said:
No way!
Poppa & I are staying put. 'Sides I have 4 months of Quicken entries that I've let slide to keep me occupied.
I'm doing my room books.

No way!
Momma Smurf said:
No way!
I'm doing my room books.
I'm just sit here waiting for my aunt to get us started on a project but kindle got her hooked.....

Good grief. Glad they're finally up there now though.
If it's any consolation, this kind of thing happens here all the time...even with houses. A friend moved into a newly renovated home that had been gutted and the installer did this convoluted install with cable wire all along the outside of the house and across the front porch. It was unsightly with a gazillion clips to hold the cable in place, and a hazard. The guy should have gone from the cable box on the outside of the house then under the crawlspace to the various rooms. Easy peasy. My elderly neighbor didn't know any differently and it wasn't until I said something that she contacted her landlord to let him know. Landlord was furious as all this marred new exterior paint, etc. and demanded that it be redone and he be reimbursed for repainting. Don't know how the reimbursement shook out, but they did (after more than one call) come out and do the install the way it should have be done in the first place. Seems like these installers want to do what they think is easiest for them.
We had to tell installers here how to do new cable outlets after we finished our renovations. Sigh....
Let us know how it works out!!

wait ... what? You're doing a video?
Details?.
seashanty said:
wait ... what? You're doing a video?
Details?
Tourism marketing video. They'll be out next week to video the inside and outside of the building and get 60 seconds of me selling our experiences. (Not packages. I'm training myself to call them 'adventure experiences' to piggyback on what the state is 'selling' this year.)
I'm actually hoping the snow stays put. It's covering a world of winter yuck.

Back again. He's going to run cable to a different room because he cannot walk on the snowy roof. I get it, it's a big safety concern.
So, we have tons of wires everywhere, it's an old house. I ask if he has a meter to check in the walls before he drills to run the cable in the new location. Not a problem. He just drilled thru our main power line. Exterior of building is scorched. Our power line needs to be replaced NOW. It's a fire hazard. Gomez on phone to power company. Tech on phone to satellite people.
He's ok. Probably shaken up a bit, but ok. Thank goodness.

Back again. He's going to run cable to a different room because he cannot walk on the snowy roof. I get it, it's a big safety concern.
So, we have tons of wires everywhere, it's an old house. I ask if he has a meter to check in the walls before he drills to run the cable in the new location. Not a problem. He just drilled thru our main power line. Exterior of building is scorched. Our power line needs to be replaced NOW. It's a fire hazard. Gomez on phone to power company. Tech on phone to satellite people.
He's ok. Probably shaken up a bit, but ok. Thank goodness..
Yikers. I hope his company is going to pay for painting the scorched area.

Morticia said:
He's ok. Probably shaken up a bit, but ok. Thank goodness.
OH MY .....

gillumhouse said:
It's vinyl, not wood. Lucky it didn't melt.

Power company stopped by. Not their problem. They didn't cause it, they're not fixing it. Now we have to find an electrician.

Power company stopped by. Not their problem. They didn't cause it, they're not fixing it. Now we have to find an electrician..
Don't you just love that "not my problem: attitude. True customer service for these days.

AAAARRRRGH!

I smell lawsuit. That company is responsible to send competent installers. You shouldn't have to walk them through it. That's what you're paying for!! Honestly!!!!!

So, the sun has set far enough that it's smacking me in the eye as I sit here. Given it's thaaaat low in the sky, a bottle of wine is calling.
Electrician comes tomorrow. Photos taken of damage. Damage report started with satellite company. Photos taken (love the telephoto lens).
The good news: the TV's work. The signal is strong. Gomez is going around plugging them all in and testing them. Tomorrow he starts mounting them on the walls. Then the touch up painting, repairing the wall where the 'extra' hole is, painting the conduit the cables are running in so they blend into the walls, adding the shelves to hold the boxes and remotes and we're good to go. Hopefully by the time the video people get here. It's only 4 rooms, no prob. (The first 2 rooms took him 3 hours each.)
The install guy feels awful. He's very sorry for all the extra work he caused. Luckily, we're a handy bunch over here. If I had to call a plasterer and painter, well, that bottle of wine would not be big enough.

I'm starting to believe your house is related to our house over here. That or they are on an "Inn House" Forum together. One step forward, three back. We tried to install a light on our ceiling fan. Perfect, the two extra wires inside the fan were labeled by company. (for light) After two days we put fan back together and light back in box to return to the store.....
sad_smile.gif

So, the sun has set far enough that it's smacking me in the eye as I sit here. Given it's thaaaat low in the sky, a bottle of wine is calling.
Electrician comes tomorrow. Photos taken of damage. Damage report started with satellite company. Photos taken (love the telephoto lens).
The good news: the TV's work. The signal is strong. Gomez is going around plugging them all in and testing them. Tomorrow he starts mounting them on the walls. Then the touch up painting, repairing the wall where the 'extra' hole is, painting the conduit the cables are running in so they blend into the walls, adding the shelves to hold the boxes and remotes and we're good to go. Hopefully by the time the video people get here. It's only 4 rooms, no prob. (The first 2 rooms took him 3 hours each.)
The install guy feels awful. He's very sorry for all the extra work he caused. Luckily, we're a handy bunch over here. If I had to call a plasterer and painter, well, that bottle of wine would not be big enough..
It IS always something, isn't it.
I had a crappy afternoon (not B&B related) but reading this thread, it could have been far worse. SORRY!
DH hates having anyone come here to do anything as it always seems to mean more work for us.

did you call your insurance company BEFORE patching and painting?

did you call your insurance company BEFORE patching and painting?.
seashanty said:
did you call your insurance company BEFORE patching and painting?
Not going thru my insurance company. This is strictly on the satellite company's shoulders.
Besides, by the time they get around to doing anything I have to explain to guests why there's a hole in the wall!
I've got the photos. Hopefully Gomez got the techs name.

Back