Bed and Breakfast.com Commission Only Now

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Being listed on Booking means people can book through my website directly via a link on my TA page, and I don't have to pay a penny to TA. I like that!.
Arks said:
Being listed on Booking means people can book through my website directly via a link on my TA page, and I don't have to pay a penny to TA. I like that!
'Splain this Ricky. How do you have an unpaid link on TA?
Morticia said:
Glad you asked, because I had not looked at this in a year, and in fact had forgotten about it. Yes, I see that I AM signed up with TA Cost Per Click and that's what gives me the link to my own website. It's just that my monthly clicks never add up to more than a few dollars, so I'd completely forgotten I had that!
It's my connection to Booking that also puts a Booking click to book button on my TA page. At any rate, these direct booking links on my TA page are very valuable, I think, in getting bookings. Without the connection, TA puts "No availability for your dates" on your inn's TA page. A killer!
A TA listing will not necessarily show no availability for your dates of you don’t maintain links to OTAs. If you simply never establish a paid link to OTAs your listing on TA directs all lookers to contact the B&B directly for availability.
Granted, not using OTAs reduces the # of prospective lookers. But if you are marketing to a segment that is motivated, expects customer service and hospitality, and does not mind paying for the personal attention, you can still effectively use TA to drive business directly to you without paying any fees. You still need to keep reviews coming into TA Nd Go ogle so you don’t get buried in the masses. But the motivated customer will find you if you work at your own marketing. Just sayin’
Silverspoon said:
But the motivated customer will find you if you work at your own marketing.
I fear, if finding me depends on my guests being motivated, I'll starve!
But this discussion has helped me a LOT, especially Mort making me realize that my pay-per-click had expired and my own site was no longer appearing on TA. It's back now. I'm really surprised TA didn't notify me, even badger me, when that PPC expired!
There's a setting for urgent notifications for TC. Did not know this and when my bid got out bid, I too, was turned off, including all of Europe. You need to enable this.

Being listed on Booking means people can book through my website directly via a link on my TA page, and I don't have to pay a penny to TA. I like that!.
Arks said:
Being listed on Booking means people can book through my website directly via a link on my TA page, and I don't have to pay a penny to TA. I like that!
Morticia said:
Glad you asked, because I had not looked at this in a year, and in fact had forgotten about it. Yes, I see that I AM signed up with TA Cost Per Click and that's what gives me the link to my own website. It's just that my monthly clicks never add up to more than a few dollars, so I'd completely forgotten I had that!
It's my connection to Booking that also puts a Booking click to book button on my TA page. At any rate, these direct booking links on my TA page are very valuable, I think, in getting bookings. Without the connection, TA puts "No availability for your dates" on your inn's TA page. A killer!
Arks said:
Morticia said:
If you have no relationship with any OTA, TA tells the guest to contact you directly. It's only if you don't have any rooms listed on OTA's with which you have a relationship that you get the 'nothing available' message.

Arks said:
Morticia said:
Arks said:
Morticia said:
If you have no relationship with any OTA, TA tells the guest to contact you directly. It's only if you don't have any rooms listed on OTA's with which you have a relationship that you get the 'nothing available' message.
Morticia said:
It was YOUR TA page I checked. It specifically said "No availability for your dates."
I did notice on hotels it said it said to contact the hotel directly. But on your page, it just said "no availability".
a_3.jpg

Arks said:
Morticia said:
Arks said:
Morticia said:
Morticia said:
It was YOUR TA page I checked. It specifically said "No availability for your dates."
I did notice on hotels it said it said to contact the hotel directly. But on your page, it just said "no availability".
a_3.jpg

This is 2018. Has Mort input prices and allocated them yet? If not, then... no alternative but to show no availability. If she was not linked to Booking, would say contact directly.

Arks said:
Morticia said:
Arks said:
Morticia said:
Morticia said:
a_3.jpg

This is 2018. Has Mort input prices and allocated them yet? If not, then... no alternative but to show no availability. If she was not linked to Booking, would say contact directly.
Momma Smurf said:
Ah, so Mort is linked to Booking, but has not input prices. That needs to be fixed! I spent some time trying different dates there, and could not find ANY date that doesn't say "no availability" for Mort. That's bound to be killing reservations from people who are looking on TA for a B&B in her town.

Arks said:
Morticia said:
Arks said:
Morticia said:
Morticia said:
a_3.jpg

Right. Because I list rooms on booking. But, I have nothing listed for the dates you chose. So, to punish me for not having rooms to give to them, they (TA, because they get a cut of booking sales) list me as having no availability. And, they drop me to the bottom of the list of all inns in my town, including the ones who don't list on OTA's at all.

Arks said:
Morticia said:
Arks said:
Morticia said:
Morticia said:
a_3.jpg

Momma Smurf said:
Ah, so Mort is linked to Booking, but has not input prices. That needs to be fixed! I spent some time trying different dates there, and could not find ANY date that doesn't say "no availability" for Mort. That's bound to be killing reservations from people who are looking on TA for a B&B in her town.
I'm waiting until I get rid of the bookings I have already in order to change my terms. We had a chargeback for $400 from someone who cancelled. We lost because there was no guest signature. Did not matter that everything the guest was shown stated quite clearly that they were being charged that amount.
So, switching to totally non refundable. Not that it makes a difference. Apparently if you have no signature the guest can get their money back. I suggest everyone order stuff online and claim you never agreed to pay for it. No signature = no agreement.

Arks said:
Morticia said:
Arks said:
Morticia said:
Morticia said:
a_3.jpg

Momma Smurf said:
Yes. So this is where TConnect comes in. Your availability will still show regardless of inventory on Bking, etc! ResKey is great for that.
And will repeat for the umpteenth time: New TC advertising is driving lots of res to us in the past few months. And with a separate RK Trip page I can track all of the many searches.

Please accept my condolences. My brother died last December. It hurts. I am so sorry for your loss.

Arks said:
Morticia said:
Arks said:
Morticia said:
Morticia said:
a_3.jpg

Momma Smurf said:
Yes. So this is where TConnect comes in. Your availability will still show regardless of inventory on Bking, etc! ResKey is great for that.
And will repeat for the umpteenth time: New TC advertising is driving lots of res to us in the past few months. And with a separate RK Trip page I can track all of the many searches.
Momma Smurf said:
New TC advertising is driving lots of res to us in the past few months.
What's killing me now, I guess, is that when someone searches TA for lodging in my town, they only see hotels, even hotels 50 miles away! To see my place, they have to find and click the "B&B and Inns" selector. Most people would never know to do that.
The B&B/Inns section used to show right below the 3 local hotels/motels. Now they show all the hotels in nearby towns, dozens of them. I think that may be a big part of why my July and August were so sloooow.

Arks said:
Morticia said:
Arks said:
Morticia said:
Morticia said:
a_3.jpg

Momma Smurf said:
Momma Smurf said:
What's killing me now, I guess, is that when someone searches TA for lodging in my town, they only see hotels, even hotels 50 miles away! To see my place, they have to find and click the "B&B and Inns" selector. Most people would never know to do that.
The B&B/Inns section used to show right below the 3 local hotels/motels. Now they show all the hotels in nearby towns, dozens of them. I think that may be a big part of why my July and August were so sloooow.
I have noticed that too. Even if I click on 'show me other B&B's' it goes right to hotels and I have to again click on B&B's.

Arks said:
Morticia said:
Arks said:
Morticia said:
Morticia said:
a_3.jpg

Momma Smurf said:
Momma Smurf said:
Arks said:
Momma Smurf said:
Yes that is such a stinken technique they use !! It is blackmailing and we as small accommodation businesses pay dearly for that. You are right Ark the people who are looking for rooms do not get that they would have to specifically put B&B into the search at TA

Arks said:
Morticia said:
Arks said:
Morticia said:
Morticia said:
a_3.jpg

Momma Smurf said:
Momma Smurf said:
Arks said:
True, they have hidden B&Bs. We too had an unusual slooooow July & August. Last year was our best overall year by far. This year will be lucky if we break 2009 sales!
omg_smile.gif
angry_smile.gif
July was so pathetic, that both June & September may beat it... and we're a summer destination.

Arks said:
Morticia said:
Arks said:
Morticia said:
Morticia said:
a_3.jpg

Momma Smurf said:
Momma Smurf said:
Every the b&b section shows hotels up to an hour away.

Arks said:
Morticia said:
Arks said:
Morticia said:
Morticia said:
a_3.jpg

Momma Smurf said:
I'm waiting until I get rid of the bookings I have already in order to change my terms. We had a chargeback for $400 from someone who cancelled. We lost because there was no guest signature. Did not matter that everything the guest was shown stated quite clearly that they were being charged that amount.
So, switching to totally non refundable. Not that it makes a difference. Apparently if you have no signature the guest can get their money back. I suggest everyone order stuff online and claim you never agreed to pay for it. No signature = no agreement.
I've wondered about this with cancellations through the OTAs. Your listing spells out in no uncertain terms that the rate is nonrefundable, or has to be cancelled by _x_ date. I realize this is a long shot, but would an OTA be able to provide documentation that the guest received notice of your cancellation policies? Or would a screenshot of what we see in the back office view of the guest's reservation help? I'm sure the OTA would like to receive their portion of the cancellation fee, too! I recently changed by OTA bookings to all be nonrefundable, too.
I changed my policy on reservations that are booked through us to include a $75 nonrefundable deposit (deducted from the full amount of the stay) no matter when the guest cancels using whatever harebrained reason. I then take the balance at check-in using a chip-reader and I get a signature. Reservations cancelled within 14 days of arrival are charged the full amount unless I can rebook. This happens pretty rarely, and (knock on wood) I haven't had a chargeback in 5 years.
My only chargeback attempt happened 6 years ago, in my first year of business. A lady who called with 12 hr's notice to cancel, saying that Amtrak cancelled her train. She had a free night (5 nt stay in slow season), so I asked if she would be arriving the next day and just miss the free night. Nope! Cancelled her full trip. The kicker was that she had trip insurance and filed a claim with the insurance company, but was also trying to collect $800 from me, too. Thankfully, her credit card would not process the chargeback. My cc processor did absolutely nothing to defend me. I changed processors really quickly after that!

Arks said:
Morticia said:
Arks said:
Morticia said:
Morticia said:
a_3.jpg

Momma Smurf said:
I've wondered about this with cancellations through the OTAs. Your listing spells out in no uncertain terms that the rate is nonrefundable, or has to be cancelled by _x_ date. I realize this is a long shot, but would an OTA be able to provide documentation that the guest received notice of your cancellation policies? Or would a screenshot of what we see in the back office view of the guest's reservation help? I'm sure the OTA would like to receive their portion of the cancellation fee, too! I recently changed by OTA bookings to all be nonrefundable, too.
I changed my policy on reservations that are booked through us to include a $75 nonrefundable deposit (deducted from the full amount of the stay) no matter when the guest cancels using whatever harebrained reason. I then take the balance at check-in using a chip-reader and I get a signature. Reservations cancelled within 14 days of arrival are charged the full amount unless I can rebook. This happens pretty rarely, and (knock on wood) I haven't had a chargeback in 5 years.
My only chargeback attempt happened 6 years ago, in my first year of business. A lady who called with 12 hr's notice to cancel, saying that Amtrak cancelled her train. She had a free night (5 nt stay in slow season), so I asked if she would be arriving the next day and just miss the free night. Nope! Cancelled her full trip. The kicker was that she had trip insurance and filed a claim with the insurance company, but was also trying to collect $800 from me, too. Thankfully, her credit card would not process the chargeback. My cc processor did absolutely nothing to defend me. I changed processors really quickly after that!
We had two chargebacks this week. Over $1000. We are fighting them. But who knows?
Evidence is our email confirmation saying that the reservation was made months in advance.
And our policies. One was a no-show and one was a day of cancellation.

Arks said:
Morticia said:
Arks said:
Morticia said:
Morticia said:
a_3.jpg

Momma Smurf said:
I had screen shots of everything the guest agreed to. All the processor kept saying was there is no signature agreeing to the verbiage.
So I asked if I can get all the money back from everything I ordered online as I never signed any credit card receipt.
He said he didn't see why I couldn't try.

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss! But glad to hear from you! Love, prayers, and thoughts from me to you.

Back