Bed and Breakfast.com Commission Only Now

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Only way to stop this is to not Join. I would love to see their listing drop like flies. So where does this leave us with commission free sites? Any left?

Only way to stop this is to not Join. I would love to see their listing drop like flies. So where does this leave us with commission free sites? Any left?.
Bnbfinder
Bbonline
I haven't checked those in awhile, so I don't know how they stack up. I do know one of them had ads plastered all over the place that too you too the commissioned sites, so you might still be paying.

Only way to stop this is to not Join. I would love to see their listing drop like flies. So where does this leave us with commission free sites? Any left?.
Bnbfinder
Bbonline
I haven't checked those in awhile, so I don't know how they stack up. I do know one of them had ads plastered all over the place that too you too the commissioned sites, so you might still be paying.
I am on both, have been for years. Both have given me reduced rates when I gave them my declining stats from GoogleA. Yes, you still can pay a semi-moderate fee to list.

Bnbfinder
Bbonline
I am on both, have been for years. Both have given me reduced rates when I gave them my declining stats from GoogleA. Yes, you still can pay a semi-moderate fee to list.
Im having a hard time with this. I feel we are all being forced to list with the big OTAS to survive. I looked at bnbfinder and bbonline. Finder was on page 9 of our town and bbonline was page 6. Its pointless to list, No one will go that far to find your listing with them. I see them either folding or switching to a commission only site soon like all the other ones. Very sad! :(

Latest info from Janice at bb.com about the upcoming changes.
I'm no longer a member and I was a member for many years 'under duress' as in a love-hate relationship. My take is this is fancy footwork talking saying they have always been working for B&B's and travelers, when their own corporate advertising and lack of customer service says otherwise.
(Let me know if the link doesn't work...)

Latest info from Janice at bb.com about the upcoming changes.
I'm no longer a member and I was a member for many years 'under duress' as in a love-hate relationship. My take is this is fancy footwork talking saying they have always been working for B&B's and travelers, when their own corporate advertising and lack of customer service says otherwise.
(Let me know if the link doesn't work...).
It did work thank you! I will not be listing with them. I hope everyone else does the same. Enough is enough.

What a bunch of crap. If we don't sign up, all our reviews go away; if we do sign up, it completely changes our business model. For us, renewal is in June.
Interestingly, they also dropped sales of gift cards, but we've had several older cards lately, including a whole bunch tonight ($500 on a 3-night stay). Those carry 20% commission: annoys DW, I consider it COB on the rare occasion, but I'm not sure I want to trade out all my current business for a 18% across the board commission.

What a bunch of crap. If we don't sign up, all our reviews go away; if we do sign up, it completely changes our business model. For us, renewal is in June.
Interestingly, they also dropped sales of gift cards, but we've had several older cards lately, including a whole bunch tonight ($500 on a 3-night stay). Those carry 20% commission: annoys DW, I consider it COB on the rare occasion, but I'm not sure I want to trade out all my current business for a 18% across the board commission..
Yes, you are correct. About 10 years ago is when OTA's got started. Back then the commission rate was around 10%. I remember thinking that was really high. As time goes innkeepers are becoming increasingly dependent on these sites to get our customers. We are essentially working for them now. As these companies and sites monopolize the reservation process you will slowly see the percentage rates increase at a steady pace because they can and there won't be away to stop them. So buckle up...

Interestingly, they also dropped sales of gift cards, but we've had several older cards lately, including a whole bunch tonight ($500 on a 3-night stay). Those carry 20% commission: annoys DW, I consider it COB on the rare occasion, but I'm not sure I want to trade out all my current business for a 18% across the board commission..
My renewal is February, I wont be renewing.
I get bombarded by emails from them now about holidays and specials, have done for about a year. I guess that's since they were taken over.

Their gift cards were a royal pain. We accepted them, but we were one of a very few who did. People never understood that you had to check if the place accepted them. Lots of bad blood that way.

Yes. BedPosts in the UK. If we get a few US B & Bs to list with them, it could be viable for us as a place to list and possibly get more UK traffic. You just have to put their logo on your site. I am a Club member @ the princely rate of £50 per year. No commission and you show your availability calendar.

Hi all...
Following, or catching up on this feed... I was doing some online research and came across this article from Fortune. It is an interesting read: http://fortune.com/2016/07/27/travel-agents/

Yes. BedPosts in the UK. If we get a few US B & Bs to list with them, it could be viable for us as a place to list and possibly get more UK traffic. You just have to put their logo on your site. I am a Club member @ the princely rate of £50 per year. No commission and you show your availability calendar.
gillumhouse said:
Good one to look into!

I just checked out Bedposts. You are the only US listing. Love it. I'd like to join you.

I just checked out Bedposts. You are the only US listing. Love it. I'd like to join you.
Go to http://www.bedposts.org.uk/ and if you wish to join the Club to be listed, it will cost you posting the BedPosts logo on your website and Club (£50 annual subscription) - the Forum is Free but the listing with the Club is better. The link I gave you will also have the link to the online magazine I edit. Featured inns are Club members only. We also have a Region section. I sam trying to turn this into a marketing piece for BedPosts as BedPosts members.
IF we get some members on this side of The Pond, we wil be more noticable. I have no illusions of being "found" there now (but the future could since I contribute to the Forum and these people DO travel) as the only one, but if we get a few more, we could get a USA page set up even with us being all over th map. £50 is cheap for a listing that has possibilities - do not expect instant gratification, but it beats new terms of bandbdotcom. Not a huge investment as something to try - it has NO commissions and NO other fees.

Back