Bottled water bye byeeeeee

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
I don't want to gloat, but I have been on this soapbaox since the things were invented. I call them "ba ba's" as people act like they need to have them or will not only wilt, but die without a water bottle!
"Congratulations to San Francisco on becoming the world's first major city to ban single-use bottled water!"
When I visited the Potomac River there was almost an entire shoreline of LIDS.
They manufactured them smaller and acted like they were trying to protect wildlife...the shoreline was riddled with plasti-bottle lids, I have never seen anything like it! This same shoreline is cleaned a few times per year and all of this debris removed, fyi.
I said I would not put individ water bottles in our rooms, and I am stickin' with it!
We do not live in a third world country, our tap water is proven to be healthier than those BPA carcinogenic bottles.

You and me both. We have filtered water for those who don't like the taste straight from the tap.

I have them in the upstairs fridge. I have bottles by my bed - bottles I emptied of the original contents and refill with the excellent water produced by our City Water Plant. But I am not going to provide logo bottles for them to take with. Actually I find that more of my guests do not bother with the water in the fridge either - they are using the individually wrapped plastic glasses we provide.

I have them in the upstairs fridge. I have bottles by my bed - bottles I emptied of the original contents and refill with the excellent water produced by our City Water Plant. But I am not going to provide logo bottles for them to take with. Actually I find that more of my guests do not bother with the water in the fridge either - they are using the individually wrapped plastic glasses we provide..
Don't do that. Don't reuse the plastic bottles. It's not healthy. You can't wash them well enough and they continue to leach the plastics into the water.
We had to have bottled water for our trip. Ended up with two cases for the drive thru the desert and onward. Could have brought a thermos had I thought about it!

we have Harrogate Spring water in glass bottles if people want to buy it but the tap water here is perfectly fine.

I'm with you on this. The prevailing wind blows to this end of Loch Ness and you wouldn't believe the amount of plastic rubbish, in particular plastic bottles that wash up on the beach especially in the winter.
We have mini fridges in our guest rooms, so we put a jug of filtered water in those for people to use.

Bring back the deposit! Remember those days? Lots less litter!.
Copperhead said:
Bring back the deposit! Remember those days? Lots less litter!
Everything here except milk is on deposit. Juice, soda, alcohol, water, all of it. We bring a couple of big bins every week to the bottle redemption place.
I think the redemption rate is actually dropping tho. Even tho so much more is purchased, kids don't need the money now so no one is running around collecting the bottles for candy money.
Supposedly the rate is at 90% according to bottlers but no data is really accurate.

Bring back the deposit! Remember those days? Lots less litter!.
Copperhead said:
Everything here except milk is on deposit. Juice, soda, alcohol, water, all of it. We bring a couple of big bins every week to the bottle redemption place.
I think the redemption rate is actually dropping tho. Even tho so much more is purchased, kids don't need the money now so no one is running around collecting the bottles for candy money.
Supposedly the rate is at 90% according to bottlers but no data is really accurate.
Madeleine said:
Copperhead said:
I knew there were a few states with at least some things still on deposit. A big shout out for your state! But they all need to go back. Hummm, I'm gonna write my state senator right now! If they can spend time on cigarette butt legislation (which is covered under the litter laws already) they certainly should consider this!
Our local recycle for some reason does not take glass. Well I am sure it has to do with breakage but still all that glass and no where to recycle it locally.

i had two big water coolers for folks to fill their own whatevers. funny thing was, the first water from the jugs was from a spring. i couldn't get the labels off as they were imprinted. but, i refilled from the tap. not to false advertise but the bottles were just the right size and the spring water was too expensive. anyway, sometimes guests would say how much they loved spring water and could tell the difference. it was interesting ... i never corrected them or made them feel foolish. i would just nod in agreement or smile.

I've been looking for a nice (preferably acrylic) bedside carafe (preferably with 2 glasses) for my rooms for the longest time.
If I used something like a KOR Aura Vessel, do you think people would steal them?

I've been looking for a nice (preferably acrylic) bedside carafe (preferably with 2 glasses) for my rooms for the longest time.
If I used something like a KOR Aura Vessel, do you think people would steal them?.
Jon Sable said:
If I used something like a KOR Aura Vessel, do you think people would steal them?
No, they'd buy them when you bill their card for the item(s) they took from the room. Same as taking things from a hotel minibar.

If I used something like a KOR Aura Vessel, do you think people would steal them?.
Jon Sable said:
No, they'd buy them when you bill their card for the item(s) they took from the room. Same as taking things from a hotel minibar.
Arks said:
Jon Sable said:
At LA Quinta there was essentially a shopping list in the room. Prices quoted for each of the items guests apparently walked off with.
$50 for the suitcase scarf
$100 for the coverlet
$30 for a towel
Some amount for the guest book with the local info.
I was afraid to touch anything!

Jon Sable said:
Arks said:
Jon Sable said:
At LA Quinta there was essentially a shopping list in the room. Prices quoted for each of the items guests apparently walked off with.
$50 for the suitcase scarf
$100 for the coverlet
$30 for a towel
Some amount for the guest book with the local info.
I was afraid to touch anything!
Well these cost $12.50 for the 16 oz and $15.50 for the 24 oz. So assuming that I don't get them personalize, I would offer them for $25 or $30 if they wanted one to take home.
I also found a glass one that I can have personalized. They would be $5 each in cost (assuming I buy 48 of them) but being glass I assume people wouldn't be buying them. But I could offer them for $10 each.
They also have bottles, more like individual reusable ones in aluminium. I see them in plastic too, only worried about washing them in the dishwasher, because I would want them sanitized. Price is about the same, $5 in cost, $10 if they want to leave with them.

We put in a water filter system for our well when we built. At first, I bought water bottles and put them in the refrigerator. Then I realized that guests were not only taking several for their day and I was going through them like crazy, but that they were bringing them back and throwing them in the trash can even though there's also a recycle can right beside it. So I realized that those who didn't bother to bring them back in were probably throwing them out in the trash cans along their route for the day. Having the mentality that you don't need to recycle kills me. So now I have a water cooler in the dining room near the china cabinet and guests are shown this when they arrive for water. It's the tap water that goes through our filter system. Saves me money, saves my back from lugging and loading them and no more bottles going into the landfill.

Well this seems to work great! I never have anyone take our bottled water anymore.
I simply placed a little sign on the mini drink fridge that states this! " Please return the plastic bottles and screw on lids so we can refill and replace for your enjoyment!" HAHA!! :) Just kidding! My son told me to do that. I thought it was funny and I thought I would share that with you! JB I'm sure you can guess the one who said it!

Ok, I have to admit every now and again I really enjoy FIJI water. Have you ever tried it? I know it sounds a little strange and its just water but "oh my" its good! It has a very smooth taste to it. If you get a chance try one some time.

Well this seems to work great! I never have anyone take our bottled water anymore.
I simply placed a little sign on the mini drink fridge that states this! " Please return the plastic bottles and screw on lids so we can refill and replace for your enjoyment!" HAHA!! :) Just kidding! My son told me to do that. I thought it was funny and I thought I would share that with you! JB I'm sure you can guess the one who said it!.
Hillbilly said:
JB I'm sure you can guess the one who said it!
OK, now I know who this new Hillbilly is. I'm having a hard time keeping up with the name changes lately!

Back