Breakfasts of Yesteryore

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know if I should feel bad or lucky. I serve most of what y'all have abandoned, and I've had compliments on it. I do think the demographic has something to do with what goes over. Many of my guests are first-time B&B visitors who are not here primarily as tourists. They appreciate having someone else do the cooking and cleaning up.
I found out early on that the few fancy things I tried didn't go over well e.g. rice casserole (cooked rice with OJ, added raisins, mushrooms, sour cream, etc. I thought it tasted great), and bulk sausage cooked with spiced apples and onions. So I steer clear of the true gourmet stuff
embaressed_smile.gif
You should feel great! Some of the favorites we let go are the very things we can't wait to have when we come to stay with you! It really is about the demographic you serve and what those expectations are.
happykeeper said:
You should feel great! Some of the favorites we let go are the very things we can't wait to have when we come to stay with you! It really is about the demographic you serve and what those expectations are.
Exactly - I would NOT want (nor expect) biscuits & gravy in Hawaii

I have gotten into a groove it is either the egg bake with the English bread (the fresh baked each gets a loaf knocks their socks off) or the baked oatmeal with the red raspberries, blackberries, and blueberries. When I get winners, I go with the ain't broke axiom.And I really am not tired of making them..
I find that I do not tire of what I serve. It is seasonal and always evolving. It's MANGO SEASON AND i HAVE ALREADY FROZEN 10 # FOR FUTURE MANGO COBBLERS that we often use for our dinner dessert. It's the bomb. My hubby begs for mango ginger pie at least a couple of times during the season, but you have to have them just ready- not too ripe- to hit a home run.
happykeeper said:
I find that I do not tire of what I serve. It is seasonal and always evolving. It's MANGO SEASON AND i HAVE ALREADY FROZEN 10 # FOR FUTURE MANGO COBBLERS that we often use for our dinner dessert. It's the bomb. My hubby begs for mango ginger pie at least a couple of times during the season, but you have to have them just ready- not too ripe- to hit a home run.
10 pounds!!
thumbs_up.gif

and what ever else is left not cubed up can be made into a smoothie!

I have gotten into a groove it is either the egg bake with the English bread (the fresh baked each gets a loaf knocks their socks off) or the baked oatmeal with the red raspberries, blackberries, and blueberries. When I get winners, I go with the ain't broke axiom.And I really am not tired of making them..
happykeeper said:
10 pounds!!
thumbs_up.gif

Actually- I think we started with 25# of off grade ( You have to trim off a few spots- doesn't affect the flavor or texture) and got about 15 # of actual cubed mango. It's called Golden Glow and it has no stringiness and smells divine.

happykeeper said:
10 pounds!!
thumbs_up.gif

Actually- I think we started with 25# of off grade ( You have to trim off a few spots- doesn't affect the flavor or texture) and got about 15 # of actual cubed mango. It's called Golden Glow and it has no stringiness and smells divine.
happykeeper said:
OK everybody, I had never even looked a mango square in the face until I became an innkeeper. Folks around here refer to bell peppers as "mangos". I had to consult youtube to figure out what to do with one.

happykeeper said:
10 pounds!!
thumbs_up.gif

happykeeper said:
Ok everybody. I have to confess that I had never looked a mango in the face until I became an innkeeper. Around these parts, people refer to bell peppers as "mangos". I had to consult you tube to figure out what to do with the first one I bought!

happykeeper said:
10 pounds!!
thumbs_up.gif

happykeeper said:
Ok everybody. I have to confess that I had never looked a mango in the face until I became an innkeeper. Around these parts, people refer to bell peppers as "mangos". I had to consult you tube to figure out what to do with the first one I bought!
You are not the only one. I had to go to yutub to find out about star fruit, guava, and while I was at it checked out papaya and found out I had been looking at the wrong color to find a ripe one. Oh dragon fruit also. I led a sheltered life on the farm - exotic fruit was not on the trees.

happykeeper said:
10 pounds!!
thumbs_up.gif

happykeeper said:
You're not the only one. And the first time I tried to cut one I had mango soup. Had to google it to see what I was up against! Since then it is only mango from a jar.
There are thousands of foods I have never set eyes on.

happykeeper said:
10 pounds!!
thumbs_up.gif

happykeeper said:
You are not the only one. I had to go to yutub to find out about star fruit, guava, and while I was at it checked out papaya and found out I had been looking at the wrong color to find a ripe one. Oh dragon fruit also. I led a sheltered life on the farm - exotic fruit was not on the trees.
Oh my- dragon fruit season is here too! We buy these buy the case from our farming friends. The pink ones are usually the best, but they have a new variety of white that is sweet and has a little touch of lemon to it. The red are a bit earthy and they stain, but they are very pretty.

When I first bought our b&b, I served fresh mango and papaya...two fruits I just love. Over and over, they came back on the tray! When I would buy these fruit in the market, the checker would ask me what they were! Yikes, I really WAS living in the country! I stopped buying them for the guests because they were just expensive here to have to throw away.
Things have changed, and now you see mango smoothies, and mango in foods all the time. But I still keep it kind of plain for the guests.
Here is a list of some exotic/weird fruits. I have never heard of a lot of these! I only got a score of 6 and I've tried exotic foods a lot. What score did you get?

When I first bought our b&b, I served fresh mango and papaya...two fruits I just love. Over and over, they came back on the tray! When I would buy these fruit in the market, the checker would ask me what they were! Yikes, I really WAS living in the country! I stopped buying them for the guests because they were just expensive here to have to throw away.
Things have changed, and now you see mango smoothies, and mango in foods all the time. But I still keep it kind of plain for the guests.
Here is a list of some exotic/weird fruits. I have never heard of a lot of these! I only got a score of 6 and I've tried exotic foods a lot. What score did you get?.
2 that I've eaten, 2 that I've seen served but did not eat.
I think it would be fair to create a list of fruits of north America and Europe to see how many around the world have ever heard of them.

Here is a list of some exotic/weird fruits. I have never heard of a lot of these! I only got a score of 6 and I've tried exotic foods a lot. What score did you get?.
I think it would be fair to create a list of fruits of north America and Europe to see how many around the world have ever heard of them.
I'm a pretty adventurous eater. I'll try most anything once. DH on the other hand, no way!
I'm very curious out durian. I've seen it in Asia and Asian markets here in the states. But I don't want to buy a whole one just to try it. The stench is supposed to be horrendous. When I've been in Asia, the hotels have a notice saying that it's not allowed in the hotel!

I'm a pretty adventurous eater. I'll try most anything once. DH on the other hand, no way!
I'm very curious out durian. I've seen it in Asia and Asian markets here in the states. But I don't want to buy a whole one just to try it. The stench is supposed to be horrendous. When I've been in Asia, the hotels have a notice saying that it's not allowed in the hotel!
I wasn't a fan of ackee, either. Durian does smell bad so why eat it?
Everything I ate as a kid, except meat, came out of a box or a can or a jar. So, adventurous I am not. But, waaaay more adventurous than my birth family.
So much so that when I brought home a bottle of garlic powder my mother threw it out. And she's better than my father!
My kids will try anything. Grandkids same way. So the chain is broken.

Everything I ate as a kid, except meat, came out of a box or a can or a jar. So, adventurous I am not. But, waaaay more adventurous than my birth family.
So much so that when I brought home a bottle of garlic powder my mother threw it out. And she's better than my father!
smells awful but tastes good - sort of like eating a skunk, you have to eat it outside in a remote location

I'm on 9 on that list, but you don't really "eat" buddha's hand, it's mostly for zesting or jam. It's a citron.
I cant be within feet of guava without it making me retch. I'm afraid the same might be true of durian. But I'm willing to try it in dish.

I can relate to your experience as a kid. Veggies from a can, tv dinners, overcooked meats and I lived in a suburban town with no ethnic people and no ethnic restaurants. Oh, and no spice whatsoever. Pretty blah and plain Jane! Things started to change for me when my travel lust began in my 20s.
Traveling to different countries and regional areas of the U.S. opened up my taste buds.
You've broken your family's food chain!
thumbs_up.gif

Maybe someone out there can tell me what this stuff is. I was in Spain recently and went to one of the big town market with food stalls. This picture is of chorizo, but what the heck is it packed with? Some sort of lard/fat?
chorizo.jpg

I can relate to your experience as a kid. Veggies from a can, tv dinners, overcooked meats and I lived in a suburban town with no ethnic people and no ethnic restaurants. Oh, and no spice whatsoever. Pretty blah and plain Jane! Things started to change for me when my travel lust began in my 20s.
Traveling to different countries and regional areas of the U.S. opened up my taste buds.
thumbs_up.gif

Maybe someone out there can tell me what this stuff is. I was in Spain recently and went to one of the big town market with food stalls. This picture is of chorizo, but what the heck is it packed with? Some sort of lard/fat?
chorizo.jpg

Yup.... lard.

thumbs_up.gif

chorizo.jpg

Yup.... lard.
Jon Sable said:
Yup.... lard.
Do they spice it with paprika or something? It's so orange.

thumbs_up.gif

chorizo.jpg

I grew up in NYC. Absolutely no excuse. ;-)

thumbs_up.gif

chorizo.jpg

Madeleine said:
HA! You're right!
teeth_smile.gif

thumbs_up.gif

chorizo.jpg

Yup.... lard.
Jon Sable said:
Yup.... lard.
Breakfast Diva said:
Jon Sable said:
Yup.... lard.
From a person with a bell pepper allergy, which has paprika as the relative and been very ill many times,
[h2]
YES![/h2]
Chorizo - Mexican, Spanish or Redneck (Johnsonville brat version) have TONS of paprika, it is not the last ingredient on the list.

Back