Breakfasts of Yesteryore

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I first bought our b&b, I served fresh mango and papaya...two fruits I just love. Over and over, they came back on the tray! When I would buy these fruit in the market, the checker would ask me what they were! Yikes, I really WAS living in the country! I stopped buying them for the guests because they were just expensive here to have to throw away.
Things have changed, and now you see mango smoothies, and mango in foods all the time. But I still keep it kind of plain for the guests.
Here is a list of some exotic/weird fruits. I have never heard of a lot of these! I only got a score of 6 and I've tried exotic foods a lot. What score did you get?.
I scored a 20, but I did have to look up a few because some names are interchangeable. Sometimes we get the Filipino name, sometimes the Chinese name, sometimes the pacifica name, etc.

When I first bought our b&b, I served fresh mango and papaya...two fruits I just love. Over and over, they came back on the tray! When I would buy these fruit in the market, the checker would ask me what they were! Yikes, I really WAS living in the country! I stopped buying them for the guests because they were just expensive here to have to throw away.
Things have changed, and now you see mango smoothies, and mango in foods all the time. But I still keep it kind of plain for the guests.
Here is a list of some exotic/weird fruits. I have never heard of a lot of these! I only got a score of 6 and I've tried exotic foods a lot. What score did you get?.
I scored a 20, but I did have to look up a few because some names are interchangeable. Sometimes we get the Filipino name, sometimes the Chinese name, sometimes the pacifica name, etc.
Wow! Impressive.

Breakfast Diva said:
Here is a list of some exotic/weird fruits. I have never heard of a lot of these! I only got a score of 6 and I've tried exotic foods a lot. What score did you get?
I have tried a few I did not know what they were, that people grew here and there. Tropical Queensland and even San Diego has some on the list that we grew up picking as kids.
Square Watermelon is the same discussion I had recently with guests who said Mason Jars should be square vs round. You may be able to stack them better but there is a reason they are round. :)

Wow! Impressive.
Not really. For example, someone has a Santol tree in their back yard and so it shows up at the farmer's market. Never heard of it, so I get some and give to the jam maker under the next tent. Come back in a week and they made some great jam with it. People plant these exotic things and eventually it crosses your path.

Wow! Impressive.
Not really. For example, someone has a Santol tree in their back yard and so it shows up at the farmer's market. Never heard of it, so I get some and give to the jam maker under the next tent. Come back in a week and they made some great jam with it. People plant these exotic things and eventually it crosses your path.
happykeeper said:
Not if you live in Oregon where berries are king, but tropical fruits? Not gonna happen around here!

Wow! Impressive.
happykeeper said:
Not if you live in Oregon where berries are king, but tropical fruits? Not gonna happen around here!
yeah- it's kind of specific to our location. OH if only we could grow blueberries!

Physalis_02.jpg
Thinking about this, how many have tried physalis. (Sometimes called ground cherries, chinese lanterns and even cape gooseberry) Which is pretty common around here. We have guests pull them off dishes and leave them on the table like trash often enough.

Back