Building from scratch or renovating?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am thinking of not having TV's. We have them in the rooms in the motel, in the lodge we were thinking of book shelves, (and we have wifi). Thinking someplace where quiet might be prime... May convert one room in the back hall to a "mini-theater" with a dvd player and antique theater seats for the bored in bad weather.....
We have one room with a TV and one in the common room. Yes, we lose business on big sports weekends. We would lose more if everyone had to listen to a TV running all night as the rooms are not sound proofed.
Madeleine said:
We have one room with a TV and one in the common room. Yes, we lose business on big sports weekends. We would lose more if everyone had to listen to a TV running all night as the rooms are not sound proofed.
I think you are cutting off your nose to spite your face without tvs in all your rooms.
I disagree with that comment 100%, people expect TVs. Unless you are on the shore and there are waves crashing outside and you are sitting on the veranda in a fluffy white robe sipping a sangria... (oh that sounds nice right now)
The sound proofing IS THE TV.
I do not wish to listen to other people's conversations, or "other". I don't need to hear them in the loo, in the shower, talking over the hair dryer, on their cell phones, etc. Old people TALK LOUD.
I am going to be bold and say this would prevent me from staying at a B&B.
We arranged the rooms so that no two share a wall. Each side of the hallway is one suite. Was just hoping to keep the kids and tv's out in the motel, and allow the Lodge guests a different experience.
Will rethink this as in room tv apparently appears to be the norm. Will mean we get to pay for another 20 TV's (min. commercial rate for the satellite here ARGH, year round for a seasonal business!).
white pine said:
We arranged the rooms so that no two share a wall. Each side of the hallway is one suite. Was just hoping to keep the kids and tv's out in the motel, and allow the Lodge guests a different experience.
Will rethink this as in room tv apparently appears to be the norm. Will mean we get to pay for another 20 TV's (min. commercial rate for the satellite here ARGH, year round for a seasonal business!).
If expense is the issue, then why not start with just flat screens with built in dvd player (start creating a lending library, you can get whole libraries on ebay for cheap). Or smart tv that can stream. We've already decided that now we have fast/unlimited cable internet (no more satellite internet!) that when one of our room tvs break, we'll replace it with a smart tv.

No TV's, just big picture windows and outside decks/porches looking out on the view.
No a/c, just what the ocean and the trees provide (supplemented by fans)
Yes, we do have locks on the cottages, but we leave them unlocked with the keys hanging on a hook inside so guests can lock them if they feel the need to.
On the TV's we found the infrastructure cost of extending cable out to all the cottages to be prohibitive, and it turns out that the no-TV thing is one of our USP's -- our guests prefer not having TV (even the families with kids, maybe especially the parents!).
We do have a long-range high-speed WiFi system, but even that doesn't reach all of the cottages...
At one time, we were a A A A property, but that was back in the 1950's / 1960's...

We stayed once at a b&b that had no tv in the room. They had 1 in the common living room. Never again will it happen!
When we were in the common room, it felt like we were back home, visiting Mom & Dad, and we were the only ones in the living room watchin. I was uncomfortable. If I'm paying, I don't want to feel that way.
My DH is like Maddie's DH. Has to have the tv on at all times. We even have to fall asleep with it on a sleep timer. Maddie, I'm like you...I like peace and quite. I want to read and enjoy my peaceful surrounding. Let me tell you that spending that 1 night without the tv and a VERY restless DH made for the longest night of my life. In hind site, I would much rather deal with the non-stop tv than my non-book reading husband restless and uncomfortable the entire stay.
So, here's my take on tvs. We all want to fill our rooms up, so why limit the demographics by not offering tvs. Yes, you might want a quiet place to think and read, but the majority of couples want a tv. Just because you hear from a guest every now and then that they appreciated not having a tv, how many couples just take it for granted that it will be there and will never say anything to you because in this day and age, they are everywhere..
No idea how many never come back because there is no TV. Maybe our reservations would be sky high if we had TVs. Then again, the one room with a TV doesn't rent first so who knows.
My brother is the same way, cannot sleep without a TV on. He won't come here if someone has 'his' room.

I am thinking of not having TV's. We have them in the rooms in the motel, in the lodge we were thinking of book shelves, (and we have wifi). Thinking someplace where quiet might be prime... May convert one room in the back hall to a "mini-theater" with a dvd player and antique theater seats for the bored in bad weather.....
Madeleine said:
I think you are cutting off your nose to spite your face without tvs in all your rooms.
I disagree with that comment 100%, people expect TVs. Unless you are on the shore and there are waves crashing outside and you are sitting on the veranda in a fluffy white robe sipping a sangria... (oh that sounds nice right now)
I do not wish to listen to other people's conversations, or "other". I don't need to hear them in the loo, in the shower, talking over the hair dryer, on their cell phones, etc. Old people TALK LOUD.
white pine said:
If expense is the issue, then why not start with just flat screens with built in dvd player (start creating a lending library, you can get whole libraries on ebay for cheap). Or smart tv that can stream. We've already decided that now we have fast/unlimited cable internet (no more satellite internet!) that when one of our room tvs break, we'll replace it with a smart tv.
We don't have the capability for streaming. Worst WiFi in the country is here. For us, to install one more TV means another dish. Which means paying for access for 4 TV's even tho we might add just one or two.
But, of course, we know that's not my real reason...

Madeleine said:
white pine said:
We don't have the capability for streaming. Worst WiFi in the country is here. For us, to install one more TV means another dish. Which means paying for access for 4 TV's even tho we might add just one or two.
But, of course, we know that's not my real reason...
You have said who your demographic are.
THAT demographic wants a TV.
I WANT a TV.
I was on the innspiring road trip. Never turned a TV on at any B&B we visited. We were not there long enough, we arrived late, wanted to visit the innmate there, and it was not an issue. If we did anything at all it would be to sleep more, I also never read a page of my book, or listened to music other than in the go-go mobile. But we were not the normal B&B guest, as you know none of us are normal, that is what made it so much fun.

No TV's, just big picture windows and outside decks/porches looking out on the view.
Yes, we do have locks on the cottages, but we leave them unlocked with the keys hanging on a hook inside so guests can lock them if they feel the need to.
On the TV's we found the infrastructure cost of extending cable out to all the cottages to be prohibitive, and it turns out that the no-TV thing is one of our USP's -- our guests prefer not having TV (even the families with kids, maybe especially the parents!).
We do have a long-range high-speed WiFi system, but even that doesn't reach all of the cottages...
At one time, we were a A A A property, but that was back in the 1950's / 1960's....
Thanks for your post. Your place sounds lovely. We are on 20 acres and the buildings are at the "back" of the property on the lake. When we are expecting someone in the motel, we leave the key in the door, and the light on if at night...amazing how many comment on how they like this.
We just bought air conditioners for the motel rooms because last summer we had a couple of really awful sticky nights. I felt that although that is far from typical, it would ruin a vacation....the fans in the room didn't help. Also, as JB suggested about the tv's, the fan on them can run as a sound blocker.
The lodge we put central air in, but I really don't want to do tv there, would like it to be something different.
Like Maddie says, the cost is another thing, maybe we will try without first and see how it goes. Those who NEED tv can stay in the motel. If we don't get the bookings we can rethink this.

At one time, we were a A A A property, but that was back in the 1950's / 1960's....
Thanks for your post. Your place sounds lovely. We are on 20 acres and the buildings are at the "back" of the property on the lake. When we are expecting someone in the motel, we leave the key in the door, and the light on if at night...amazing how many comment on how they like this.
We just bought air conditioners for the motel rooms because last summer we had a couple of really awful sticky nights. I felt that although that is far from typical, it would ruin a vacation....the fans in the room didn't help. Also, as JB suggested about the tv's, the fan on them can run as a sound blocker.
The lodge we put central air in, but I really don't want to do tv there, would like it to be something different.
Like Maddie says, the cost is another thing, maybe we will try without first and see how it goes. Those who NEED tv can stay in the motel. If we don't get the bookings we can rethink this.
white pine said:
If we don't get the bookings we can rethink this.
That's the key right there White Pine! Not every property is the same. You have to test out things constantly. You just can't get into a rut...if things aren't booking the way one expects, then it's time to reanalyze. I do it every year. In a down time, not when stressed. What is working and what isn't and how can we change it.
thumbs_up.gif

I have window units for my guestrooms. I do not like central because everyone then has to be on the same thermostat as the controller of said device. I do not like to be chilly - that is how I spend my winters as I look forward to summer. I replaced one of the big original units last summer with the new programmable on rollers. Love the not lifting the damn things in and out but the hose takes up SPACE! I may look into trimming the hose if I put it close to the window. One question I get asked is do you have A/C.
Re TVs - after I lost a couple room nights and figured out it was because of big games, TV was no longer an extra on request, I bought 2 more. Now I have flar screen in all. Since I relocated furniture in Rosi's Room, there was no place to put a TV ON anything so the flat screen is mounted on the wall behind the door - I figure they will have the door closed anyway. There is a BRASS doorstop screwed securely in the floor to keep the hook on the door from finding the TV screen. All rooms also have DVD players and I have started a small library. Guests have watched movies. I have the TVs on the Weather Channel when they arrive (TV off of course)

When we bought the place, there were no tvs. Now, every room has a tv. They are all small and some are not flat screen, but they work. Network and basic cable only. No movies or pay per view.
I'm having the noise disagreement with my husband. He wants air conditioning in each room. I say the guests want to hear the waves and have a sea breeze..
TheBeachHouse said:
When we bought the place, there were no tvs. Now, every room has a tv. They are all small and some are not flat screen, but they work. Network and basic cable only. No movies or pay per view.
I'm having the noise disagreement with my husband. He wants air conditioning in each room. I say the guests want to hear the waves and have a sea breeze.
Is humidity an issue there? That is the reason I want a/c, not so much for the cooling, but zapping that humidity. I cannot stand indiv room units of any kind, but others love them and prefer them to sleep by.
Joey Bloggs said:
TheBeachHouse said:
I'm having the noise disagreement with my husband. He wants air conditioning in each room. I say the guests want to hear the waves and have a sea breeze.
Is humidity an issue there? That is the reason I want a/c, not so much for the cooling, but zapping that humidity. I cannot stand indiv room units of any kind, but others love them and prefer them to sleep by.
It can get very humid during the summer. In this town, there is usually about 2 weeks a year when air conditioning is 'needed.' Most of the time, we have a nice sea breeze.
I think we will go for the more expensive stand alone ac's for the two rooms on the third floor and small window units for the second floor rooms that can be installed easily on demand.
We had good luck last summer with the first season of ductless, split AC in the two suites of the main house. Each room has it's own thermostat so guests have a choice to use the AC or not. The master control for regulating the temp is in our possession so if we see that the guests are gone we can adjust the temp remotely without ever entering the suite. Works like a charm! We still install a window AC in the bedroom of the cottage. If we find that summers continue to heat up we will probably bite the bullet and buy a separate unit for that building.
Flat screen TV with DVD in both suites and the cottage...a must at the price point we get. Even though we market to the quiet guest, the TVs are used...especially to watch movies.

Madeleine said:
I agree with JB 100%. No TVs in the rooms can be a major deal breaker. Might have been OK 10 or 15 years ago, but not in 2014.
Lots of people have subscriptions to streaming services, so that could be a compromise if you have smart TVs or TVs that you can plug in Google Chromecast ($35 each one time price).
I booked a B&B last year right on a tidal marsh on the coast - bird watching, beautiful views, big decks. No TV in the room. It rained.... When we weren't out sightseeing or having a fabulous seafood dinner, I had to listen to my dh complain about the lack of a TV to even listen to the weather or news. So, there you have it....

I absolutely would not stay at a place without a TV in the room, but I guess men aren't the ones doing the booking most of the time, and we're afraid to complain..
My dh has never been afraid to complain about the lack of TVs in a room that I booked.
teeth_smile.gif

I have window units for my guestrooms. I do not like central because everyone then has to be on the same thermostat as the controller of said device. I do not like to be chilly - that is how I spend my winters as I look forward to summer. I replaced one of the big original units last summer with the new programmable on rollers. Love the not lifting the damn things in and out but the hose takes up SPACE! I may look into trimming the hose if I put it close to the window. One question I get asked is do you have A/C.
Re TVs - after I lost a couple room nights and figured out it was because of big games, TV was no longer an extra on request, I bought 2 more. Now I have flar screen in all. Since I relocated furniture in Rosi's Room, there was no place to put a TV ON anything so the flat screen is mounted on the wall behind the door - I figure they will have the door closed anyway. There is a BRASS doorstop screwed securely in the floor to keep the hook on the door from finding the TV screen. All rooms also have DVD players and I have started a small library. Guests have watched movies. I have the TVs on the Weather Channel when they arrive (TV off of course)
We have each room on it's own control, with auto dampers in the runs we hope will solve that problem....can't wait til it breaks! :) Technology....great when it works...
Will wait and see on the tv....

Madeleine said:
I agree with JB 100%. No TVs in the rooms can be a major deal breaker. Might have been OK 10 or 15 years ago, but not in 2014.
Lots of people have subscriptions to streaming services, so that could be a compromise if you have smart TVs or TVs that you can plug in Google Chromecast ($35 each one time price).
I booked a B&B last year right on a tidal marsh on the coast - bird watching, beautiful views, big decks. No TV in the room. It rained.... When we weren't out sightseeing or having a fabulous seafood dinner, I had to listen to my dh complain about the lack of a TV to even listen to the weather or news. So, there you have it....
For a rain day we do have the old bar... we don't have a license, but it is a popular place to hang out. Two old juke boxes full of old 45's, and the pool table and a local place will deliver pizza too.
DSC_0887%20edited%20%28536x800%29_0.jpg

I think I will also make a mini theater for movies on dvd in one of the rooms in the back hall.

I absolutely would not stay at a place without a TV in the room, but I guess men aren't the ones doing the booking most of the time, and we're afraid to complain..
My dh has never been afraid to complain about the lack of TVs in a room that I booked.
teeth_smile.gif

Samster said:
teeth_smile.gif
So what you are saying is we need TV's to drown out the DH's...yeah I got that!
shades_smile.gif

Madeleine said:
For a rain day we do have the old bar... we don't have a license, but it is a popular place to hang out. Two old juke boxes full of old 45's, and the pool table and a local place will deliver pizza too.

I think I will also make a mini theater for movies on dvd in one of the rooms in the back hall.
That is so cool! I love it!

Madeleine said:

Saturday night dances!

Madeleine said:

Love teh bar! That's where you would find us!!!

Madeleine said:

Love teh bar! That's where you would find us!!!
Six plays for the quarter, and we don't have a door on the jukebox so you can recycle them. I love to crank the tunes out when I am working!

Madeleine said:

What a great space and a throw back in time. Love it!

Madeleine said:

Maybe if the b&b doesn't work, we will turn into a home for aged innkeepers! Y'all are welcome!

Latest posts

Back