Building from scratch or renovating?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am thinking of not having TV's. We have them in the rooms in the motel, in the lodge we were thinking of book shelves, (and we have wifi). Thinking someplace where quiet might be prime... May convert one room in the back hall to a "mini-theater" with a dvd player and antique theater seats for the bored in bad weather.....
We have one room with a TV and one in the common room. Yes, we lose business on big sports weekends. We would lose more if everyone had to listen to a TV running all night as the rooms are not sound proofed.
Madeleine said:
We have one room with a TV and one in the common room. Yes, we lose business on big sports weekends. We would lose more if everyone had to listen to a TV running all night as the rooms are not sound proofed.
I think you are cutting off your nose to spite your face without tvs in all your rooms.
I disagree with that comment 100%, people expect TVs. Unless you are on the shore and there are waves crashing outside and you are sitting on the veranda in a fluffy white robe sipping a sangria... (oh that sounds nice right now)
The sound proofing IS THE TV.
I do not wish to listen to other people's conversations, or "other". I don't need to hear them in the loo, in the shower, talking over the hair dryer, on their cell phones, etc. Old people TALK LOUD.
I am going to be bold and say this would prevent me from staying at a B&B.
I agree with JB 100%. No TVs in the rooms can be a major deal breaker. Might have been OK 10 or 15 years ago, but not in 2014.
Lots of people have subscriptions to streaming services, so that could be a compromise if you have smart TVs or TVs that you can plug in Google Chromecast ($35 each one time price).
I booked a B&B last year right on a tidal marsh on the coast - bird watching, beautiful views, big decks. No TV in the room. It rained.... When we weren't out sightseeing or having a fabulous seafood dinner, I had to listen to my dh complain about the lack of a TV to even listen to the weather or news. So, there you have it....
For a rain day we do have the old bar... we don't have a license, but it is a popular place to hang out. Two old juke boxes full of old 45's, and the pool table and a local place will deliver pizza too.
DSC_0887%20edited%20%28536x800%29_0.jpg

I think I will also make a mini theater for movies on dvd in one of the rooms in the back hall.
Maybe if the b&b doesn't work, we will turn into a home for aged innkeepers! Y'all are welcome!
white pine said:
Maybe if the b&b doesn't work, we will turn into a home for aged innkeepers! Y'all are welcome!
Sign me up

Latest posts

Back