Charge back on Square

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh joy!
angry_smile.gif

But I have been wondering how SQ would handle a chargeback. I believe it is the CC co. (Visa, MC etc) who actually decide if the charge is legit or not.
Hope this goes smoothly for you. It should go your way. You have all your ducks in a row.
It does bring the sting back to the surface doesn't. Sorry!.
That is why I so want the switch to chip credit cards. Because when you pass it through, it validates that the card was actually there. Much harder to do a chargeback when you have proof that the card was in hand and they are trying to commit fraud.
Sugar Bear said:
That is why I so want the switch to chip credit cards. Because when you pass it through, it validates that the card was actually there. Much harder to do a chargeback when you have proof that the card was in hand and they are trying to commit fraud.
Just had a chip card here today.
We're going to ask foreign guests if they want to use their chip cards here when we get someone here from away.

Oh joy!
angry_smile.gif

But I have been wondering how SQ would handle a chargeback. I believe it is the CC co. (Visa, MC etc) who actually decide if the charge is legit or not.
Hope this goes smoothly for you. It should go your way. You have all your ducks in a row.
Sugar Bear said:
Coming soon to a country near you! End of 2015.
However, just because you ran a chip & pin card does not mean the guest can't file a chargeback and say the place was not as advertised or they were mistreated or fill in the blank.
Right now we could run a regular card, get a sig and still have the guest chargeback.
Much much harder to do. You see, with the magnetic stripe, it doesn't actually prove that the card was there. The chip proves that the card was there, 100%. Chargebacks are pretty easy when you claim that you weren't there and the transaction processed as CNP (Card Not Present). But you have a LOT more to prove when you physically handed over the card to pay (and there is undeniable proof, since the card is encrypted and a copy cannot be made) and then make a claim later.
Sugar Bear said:
Much much harder to do. You see, with the magnetic stripe, it doesn't actually prove that the card was there. The chip proves that the card was there, 100%. Chargebacks are pretty easy when you claim that you weren't there and the transaction processed as CNP (Card Not Present). But you have a LOT more to prove when you physically handed over the card to pay (and there is undeniable proof, since the card is encrypted and a copy cannot be made) and then make a claim later.
A chargeback is not because they say they were not here, they are not saying they weren't here, they are using another "reason" seller misrepresented or similar. We are frauds, in other words.
You know, remember the story how we moved the B&B on them...we are sneaky that way.
I thought you moved the mountains, not the B & B

Oh joy!
angry_smile.gif

Sugar Bear said:
However, just because you ran a chip & pin card does not mean the guest can't file a chargeback and say the place was not as advertised or they were mistreated or fill in the blank.
Right now we could run a regular card, get a sig and still have the guest chargeback.
Sugar Bear said:
A chargeback is not because they say they were not here, they are not saying they weren't here, they are using another "reason" seller misrepresented or similar. We are frauds, in other words.
You know, remember the story how we moved the B&B on them...we are sneaky that way.
gillumhouse said:
oh yeah, I was so sneaky I forgot what I moved... LOL!

Oh joy!
angry_smile.gif

Sugar Bear said:
Sugar Bear said:
gillumhouse said:
oh yeah, I was so sneaky I forgot what I moved... LOL!
Only you are mighty enough to move mountains

Oh joy!
angry_smile.gif

Sugar Bear said:
Sugar Bear said:
Did they stay? I don't remember. If they did, there ain't nothing to dispute.

Oh joy!
angry_smile.gif

Sugar Bear said:
I can prove a card was present when it is not a chip card. Manually entered cc# do not print the name on the card - swiped cards do.
Still not proof. Someone can easily copy the data on the stripe and put it on another card. That's one of the reasons the US is being forced to switch to chip cards, since they can't steal from the ATMs in Europe & Canada, the criminals simply copy the magnetic stripe and "reprint" the card on a gift card in the US and use that at an American ATM.

Oh joy!
angry_smile.gif

Sugar Bear said:
I can prove a card was present when it is not a chip card. Manually entered cc# do not print the name on the card - swiped cards do.
Still not proof. Someone can easily copy the data on the stripe and put it on another card. That's one of the reasons the US is being forced to switch to chip cards, since they can't steal from the ATMs in Europe & Canada, the criminals simply copy the magnetic stripe and "reprint" the card on a gift card in the US and use that at an American ATM.
Wow! Good to know.

its why im not a fan of CNP - big scam about 6 years ago was woman rang "my son and his girlfriend are coming to visit I would like to book a room for them and pay with my card" yes that's fine says reservations
an hour or so later couple turns up - mother is actually the girlfriend ringing from the car with a stolen card

its why im not a fan of CNP - big scam about 6 years ago was woman rang "my son and his girlfriend are coming to visit I would like to book a room for them and pay with my card" yes that's fine says reservations
an hour or so later couple turns up - mother is actually the girlfriend ringing from the car with a stolen card.
an hour or so later couple turns up - mother is actually the girlfriend ringing from the car with a stolen card
So they wouldn't know the PIN, I suppose.

an hour or so later couple turns up - mother is actually the girlfriend ringing from the car with a stolen card.
So they wouldn't know the PIN, I suppose.
Exactly. I have been known to do a few things that they don't expect when trying to do CNP. For the most part I will simply turn them down or tell them that I accept it for the deposit, but they will need to pay cash. But I will ask them for the phone number of the bank from the bank of the card. I use a tool on the website of my CC processor that tells me which bank they are banking with and I can then check that phone number. They will be required to produce a passport and another photo ID that has their address. And that I will be doing a voice authorization with the bank on their arrival.
At that point, you can do a CODE 10 authorization, explain that it is a CNP transaction, the name on the card and the person making the reservation. I've had them transfer me to the security department at that bank to validate the information. I get charged for a voice authorization, but what thief is going to stand there while you do this. They want things to be easy peasy and I've just made it a long drawn out affair. And anyone knows that with a CODE 10, the CC processor will call the cops for you if they find out it's a stolen card. You have to answer only yes and no questions to get them to do it.

Gentleman here from Canada yesterday told me of a seminar he recently went to. There was a speaker that proved to everyone there just how 'safe' PNC really is. He brought up a woman from the crowd with her purse, he walked by her with a tablet in his hand. He then rattled off her parts of her CC#, pin, bank as well as address the remaining she read right there on the tablet.
For everything created for security, they also know the work around even before it is released. How quickly it gets into the wrong hands is up to how much $ someone is willing to pay.

Gentleman here from Canada yesterday told me of a seminar he recently went to. There was a speaker that proved to everyone there just how 'safe' PNC really is. He brought up a woman from the crowd with her purse, he walked by her with a tablet in his hand. He then rattled off her parts of her CC#, pin, bank as well as address the remaining she read right there on the tablet.
For everything created for security, they also know the work around even before it is released. How quickly it gets into the wrong hands is up to how much $ someone is willing to pay..
copperhead said:
For everything created for security, they also know the work around even before it is released. How quickly it gets into the wrong hands is up to how much $ someone is willing to pay.
This is why you have to wrap your wallet or credit cards in tin foil.

For everything created for security, they also know the work around even before it is released. How quickly it gets into the wrong hands is up to how much $ someone is willing to pay..
copperhead said:
Madeleine said:
My sister also wears a tin foil helmet. I think JB has a photo of it.

copperhead said:
Madeleine said:
Arks said:
Now these are officially the times when a newcomer stops by they may think we are a wee bit odd. I am in Virginia, you are in Arkansas, and oh yeah it's your sister.
For full disclosure: it is innkeep who is in Inndiana, who has the photo of YOUR SISTER in the alfoil hat.
(I can't even believe I just typed that - oi veigh. JB)

copperhead said:
Madeleine said:
Arks said:
Madeleine said:
I was trying to avoid mentioning the hat...

copperhead said:
Madeleine said:
Arks:
Someday I would love for your sister to meet my cousin. I think my cousin could hold her own
regular_smile.gif

copperhead said:
Madeleine said:
Arks said:
Now these are officially the times when a newcomer stops by they may think we are a wee bit odd. I am in Virginia, you are in Arkansas, and oh yeah it's your sister.
For full disclosure: it is innkeep who is in Inndiana, who has the photo of YOUR SISTER in the alfoil hat.
Joey Bloggs said:
Yes I know Innkeep has that one. I just thought you got a photo of some of her extra hats in her store when you were here. She keeps several in stock and has sold several, though mostly to folks under age 8. It seems kids are the only ones wise enough to know about alien mind reading tricks and how the foil hats block the evil forces...or something like that.

copperhead said:
Madeleine said:
Arks said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Yes I know Innkeep has that one. I just thought you got a photo of some of her extra hats in her store when you were here. She keeps several in stock and has sold several, though mostly to folks under age 8. It seems kids are the only ones wise enough to know about alien mind reading tricks and how the foil hats block the evil forces...or something like that.
Arks said:
Joey Bloggs said:
It seems your sister would get along well with the owner at this place

I looked I don't have a photo of it, I did ask you about it, as there were only two in stock I think. Popular items, anti alien brain sucking helmets, in Arkansas...

copperhead said:
Madeleine said:
Arks said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Arks said:
Joey Bloggs said:
copperhead said:
Cool! But my sister really doesn't get along well with anybody! ;-)

Back