check in or check out

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think they were pulling your leg! We had to be out by 10:30 and not come back until later in the day in Ireland. We've had Euros ask if they had to leave at a particular time and stay away.
Our check out is 11. Check in is from 3-7. Cleaning is from 9:30 to noon (so stated, it actually takes us until 1 most days). If you don't leave until 1 PM, your room doesn't get cleaned..
Morticia said:
We had to be out by 10:30 and not come back until later in the day in Ireland.
I suppose some do that but I've stayed at several B&Bs in Ireland and Scotland and never had one mention a time I had to leave, other than checkout time at the end of my stay.
We don't kick out guests who are staying. If they want to hang around, it's ok with us. We will knock on their door at the end of housekeeping to ask if they need towels or any other service.
Same here.... We give them clean towels for all of theirs, used or not since our towels are in sets. If they want maid service, they are told to ring the front desk on their way out for dinner/supper. The benefit/curse of having our employees live on location while scheduled for work!!!!!
I keep enough extra towels in each bathroom that even a Mrs. ______ (choose your State) contestant would be satisfied. The Mrs. Illinois pageant was held in the city I worked relief night audit. he wife of a famous Chicago football player came in at 6 AM and was lucky, I DID have a room. THEN she wanted every town in the hotel it seemed because the extra towels that were brought to her were not enough. Housekeeping was not in yet sothre were no more - she was not happy. (She lost that year but did win another year)
Oh yes! We have lots of extra towels and pool towels. Just that they are in sets to match colors, ribbing, etc. for the rooms. I like to have them all so the sets stay together and don't get "lost".

We are firm in our deadlines for check-in and check out. We allow arrivals anytime from 3:00pm on, as long as they let us know when to expect them. If they are already in the area they usually arrive right at 3:00, but if they are driving we request that they call us when they reach the landmark that is 1 hour away. This works well for us and allows us to be prepared, shop etc and have lunch.
Check out is before 10:30am. In the last few years this has worked especially well with most guests leaving promptly.
We do not allow early check-ins or late check-outs because they totally ruin our schedule and we end up resenting the wasted time and rushing around. When we speak with the guests we explain the fact that we do not have a staff so most appreciate the logistics of running the place ourselves..
We have a sign we put up on our door for when we are out doing errands. It says welcome and that check in starts at 3. Invites the reader to help themselves to coffee in the sunroom, and to relax on the porch. It also says to feel free to park in our driveway while they explore the area.
It has worked so far.
For those who want to arrive early we always make suggestions about what to do before 3 pm. Since we are in the middle of a National Park there is no shortage of walking trails and scenic views all around the property. They can park in our driveway but usually opt to use the public parking nearby. We do not encourage them to hang around the property because they end up wandering onto our side and then we may as well put our lunch down and check them in. 3 pm is a fair and reasonable check-in time considering the limitations of not having staff and it has been years since anyone complained about not being able to get in earlier.

I agree with Copperhead. Once in, they don't have to leave - don't have to have room service, fluffing, tidying or anything if they don't want it. But in terms of when someone can check in and when they need to check out ( beginning of stay to end of stay) it can't be totally open ended because you've got other guests to consider, got to make the room ready for the next people and on the reverse side of things - is the room ready for those that want to check in any old time? You've got loads of other things to do, not just sitting waiting for someone to check out so you can rush in and clean their room for the next occupants.
:)
I will say that staying in rooms over a pub in Scotland my room wasn't ready when I got there in early evening. So I left my bag behind the counter and had fish and chips in the pub. And still the room wasn't ready - a ploy to get me to buy more beer maybe.
wink_smile.gif

Our checkout time is 10am, many leave earlier and we wouldn't normally rush folks out either unless another guest was expected to arrive early for the same room.
Usually tell guests that they can check in anytime after noon and we're usually up till 9pm, if later we need to make some arrangement. I usually ask for an expected arrival time (range) in case we have errands to run during the day.

Our check in is from 3pm and I like to have it over before 12 midnight. We are in a large city that is usually guests first or last stop so we need to accommodate the late air arrivals. I like to have them all by 10 pm if possible as it disturbs other guests. Self check in here is not an option unless they stayed with us before - I will not even try to leave them a note with instructions - way to complicated. Our check out is by 11 am and normally is not an issue. For the guests that are staying multiple days - they do not have to leave the house, however if the do not leave between 10-2 when we have housekeeper, their bedroom is just not fluffed. We found that the best way for early check ins or late check outs is to put $ high enough and they usually opt out.

Check in 4p.m. to 10p.m. ( usually ) Check out 12 noon . Just 3 cottage rooms her., Run by me only so am open to other times. Often hide key for guest if they are arriving late or want an early check in and I'm at the store . Return guest use this system the most. Works for me
tounge_smile.gif

Our check in is from 3pm and I like to have it over before 12 midnight. We are in a large city that is usually guests first or last stop so we need to accommodate the late air arrivals. I like to have them all by 10 pm if possible as it disturbs other guests. Self check in here is not an option unless they stayed with us before - I will not even try to leave them a note with instructions - way to complicated. Our check out is by 11 am and normally is not an issue. For the guests that are staying multiple days - they do not have to leave the house, however if the do not leave between 10-2 when we have housekeeper, their bedroom is just not fluffed. We found that the best way for early check ins or late check outs is to put $ high enough and they usually opt out..
April said:
Our check in is from 3pm and I like to have it over before 12 midnight. We are in a large city that is usually guests first or last stop so we need to accommodate the late air arrivals. I like to have them all by 10 pm if possible as it disturbs other guests. Self check in here is not an option unless they stayed with us before - I will not even try to leave them a note with instructions - way to complicated. Our check out is by 11 am and normally is not an issue. For the guests that are staying multiple days - they do not have to leave the house, however if the do not leave between 10-2 when we have housekeeper, their bedroom is just not fluffed. We found that the best way for early check ins or late check outs is to put $ high enough and they usually opt out.
midnight???? We are sooooo passed out by then!!!

Our check in is from 3pm and I like to have it over before 12 midnight. We are in a large city that is usually guests first or last stop so we need to accommodate the late air arrivals. I like to have them all by 10 pm if possible as it disturbs other guests. Self check in here is not an option unless they stayed with us before - I will not even try to leave them a note with instructions - way to complicated. Our check out is by 11 am and normally is not an issue. For the guests that are staying multiple days - they do not have to leave the house, however if the do not leave between 10-2 when we have housekeeper, their bedroom is just not fluffed. We found that the best way for early check ins or late check outs is to put $ high enough and they usually opt out..
April said:
If you ain't in by 6PM, it's check-yourself-in.

April said:
This year is better than before as we have housekeeper coming every day (unless one of them is sick). I still work beside them but at least I can relax here and there. My other half is mostly doing the maintenance and only helps with the cleaning when every bedroom needs housekeeping. Most of the time he is the one who checks in the late arrivals, I try to get some sleep. Usually by August I am constantly tired even first thing in the morning.

Check in 3- 6 and check out 10:00. I'm usually ready by 2 if they drop by earlier and I don't care that they check in then unless I'm trying to run an errand or two. Guests are usually gone by my check out time and if they're not, I just work around them. No big deal.
Ive been incorporating some of the ideas on this forum for self check in with regards to my choice of words in my confirmation email and correspondence with our guests. So far, the response has been favourable. We'll see if it works in real life in the near future.

...check out 10:00. I'm usually ready by 2...
Very interesting. I have check-out at 11:00 and I'm usually by 3:00, though I post check-in as 4:00 to give a margin of safety.
So let's discuss, which is better?
10:00 check-out, check-in at 3:00
or
11:00 check-out, check-in at 4:00
Really, 10:00 is a reasonable time to hit the road, and I have more than a few who want to arrive before 4:00.
But would more prefer an even later check-out. And don't most arrive after 4:00?
Discuss among yourselves...

Very interesting. I have check-out at 11:00 and I'm usually by 3:00, though I post check-in as 4:00 to give a margin of safety.
or
Really, 10:00 is a reasonable time to hit the road, and I have more than a few who want to arrive before 4:00.
But would more prefer an even later check-out. And don't most arrive after 4:00?
Discuss among yourselves....
Breakfast is over at 9:30, after which guests shower and pack up. Having a 10 am check out would mean a lot of guests would feel rushed.
However, there are mornings I'm the last one into the dining room at 7:30. So it really depends on the crowd.
Rainy Sunday mornings we don't even see the coffee drinkers until 9. Most roll in for breakfast at 9:30.
4 pm sounds good to me but I think too many want to be in even earlier than 3.
I think a lot depends on the area, how guests get there, what there is to do and their purpose in coming to the area.
We are in easy driving distance of probably over 20% of the population. This is both a destination and a stopping point to other places and the airport.
All that to say so far the 3pm check in and the 11 am check out are mostly working. But nothing works for everyone.

For us, check-out is by 9:30 AM; check-in is after 3:30 PM.
Our check in is between 4 and 6 pm. It works for the most part. Out check out time for one suite is 10 and for the other is 11. We stager them as it is just hubby and I that clean the suites they are quite big . So when one leaves we hurry down and start to work of cleaning , making beds etc..
Then we can hear if the other one is leaving and rush up to say good bye. Then go down and finish putting every thing back in order. Ready for the next set of guest. then at1130 or 12 we start on the other one it takes us a bit longer to do that one. As it is 5room suite. We are done buy or 2 then off to market . Take us about 30 min to run into town and to get back again another 30 mins.
Arrive back at 400 to check in guests. We hope every one checks in by 7 then we can start set up for breakfast and start prep. We start set up for breakfast as soon as they leave for supper. after that prep gets done .
Then we can have our supper by 9 or 10pm. then hopefully cool down and all prep is done and emails done then off to bed. In 15 years we have only had 4 people not like leaving by 11am.or ish .

or
We have a hard enough time getting them out by 11am!

or
We do a later breakfast as 8.30-9.30 suits us and most of our guests.People here are on holiday so they don't want to rush. It says in the room info if they want an earlier breakfast just ask the night before, get one or two people saying breakfast was too late but that's their own stupid fault for not asking/reading. A 10.30 check-out follows fairly logically from that and again most people are gone by that time. For the few who aren't we'll get on with the rooms that have been vacated and as I suggested in my previous post it's only if they're still here at 11.30 they'll get a knock on the door.
Again 4.30 suits as and most people, means we can go out for the afternoon and not rush back. It says in the confirmation that if people want to arrive earlier just let us know in advance, but if they turn up early without prior notification we may be out or the rooms may not be ready. That way we're covered and means if we get home from the shops and someone has been sitting in their car on our drive for an hour, in a strop (which has happened) again it's their own stupid fault.
One "gentleman" was so stroppy about having to wait an hour for us to come back that I printed off a copy of his confirmation (my booking system blind copies me on all emails so I always have a copy of the actual email that was sent) drew a big red ring around the section on check-in times and left it in his room, he never mentioned it again.
By offering earlier breakfast and check-in if people ask we can suit ourselves and please everyone (nearly).

or
Arks said:
or
I like an earlier checkin when I travel and I like the 11 check out because you don't need to set you alarm and rush. Rushing on vacation sort of kills the joy a little. If I had to choose, I'd go for the later check out.

My breakfast is between 8 and 9 when we're busy. Most are having a coffee earlier than that. Today, family of three were down on the dot, done their breakfast and checked out by 9! (10 am check out time)
What kills me is almost half come before three, the other almost half want to toddle on after six and very few come during my 3-6 check in. It's all over the board most times. I'll just stick with what I have.

or
Arks said:
or
I like an earlier checkin when I travel and I like the 11 check out because you don't need to set you alarm and rush. Rushing on vacation sort of kills the joy a little. If I had to choose, I'd go for the later check out.
I agree. I think the expectation is 11am, as that is what most hotels/motels I have stayed at do. Trying to push people out earlier can be an irritant, and customer satisfaction is the key. What might seem a convenience to the innkeeper might be the reason you don't get them back, or the referral, or the positive review.

or
Arks said:
or
I agree. I think the expectation is 11am, as that is what most hotels/motels I have stayed at do. Trying to push people out earlier can be an irritant, and customer satisfaction is the key. What might seem a convenience to the innkeeper might be the reason you don't get them back, or the referral, or the positive review.
That is why we have a 10:30 check out time....kind of averages out for those who want to leave a bit later but still gives us time to do our work to get the room set up for the next guests.
As for check in times....for us they are all over the lot...some are already in the area and want to get in as early as we will let them (3:00 pm), others are driving from NY, NJ, VA, PA etc and may not get here until 5-6pm on a Sunday. Those driving from Boston, leaving after work may not get here until 9-10 pm, especially if they stop to have a bite to eat. So for us, it works best to ask for their arrival time and schedule them in. That way, if we want to get out for dinner or go to the beach for a sunset, we know that we will not miss a guest's arrival.
But we firmly do not accommodate arrivals before 3:00pm. And we clearly state that on our web site and in all of our communications. Notice that we do not say "check-in"...we say "arrivals". Otherwise, some guests what to stop in early to drop off their luggage, use the bathroom, check out the room etc. We end up hanging around and they don't show up. Argh!!
Nope. We. Are. Not. Available. Before. 3:00pm. Period.

Back