check in or check out

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...check out 10:00. I'm usually ready by 2...
Very interesting. I have check-out at 11:00 and I'm usually by 3:00, though I post check-in as 4:00 to give a margin of safety.
So let's discuss, which is better?
10:00 check-out, check-in at 3:00
or
11:00 check-out, check-in at 4:00
Really, 10:00 is a reasonable time to hit the road, and I have more than a few who want to arrive before 4:00.
But would more prefer an even later check-out. And don't most arrive after 4:00?
Discuss among yourselves....
Arks said:
...check out 10:00. I'm usually ready by 2...
Very interesting. I have check-out at 11:00 and I'm usually by 3:00, though I post check-in as 4:00 to give a margin of safety.
So let's discuss, which is better?
10:00 check-out, check-in at 3:00
or
11:00 check-out, check-in at 4:00
Really, 10:00 is a reasonable time to hit the road, and I have more than a few who want to arrive before 4:00.
But would more prefer an even later check-out. And don't most arrive after 4:00?
Discuss among yourselves...
I like an earlier checkin when I travel and I like the 11 check out because you don't need to set you alarm and rush. Rushing on vacation sort of kills the joy a little. If I had to choose, I'd go for the later check out.
I agree. I think the expectation is 11am, as that is what most hotels/motels I have stayed at do. Trying to push people out earlier can be an irritant, and customer satisfaction is the key. What might seem a convenience to the innkeeper might be the reason you don't get them back, or the referral, or the positive review.
That is why we have a 10:30 check out time....kind of averages out for those who want to leave a bit later but still gives us time to do our work to get the room set up for the next guests.
As for check in times....for us they are all over the lot...some are already in the area and want to get in as early as we will let them (3:00 pm), others are driving from NY, NJ, VA, PA etc and may not get here until 5-6pm on a Sunday. Those driving from Boston, leaving after work may not get here until 9-10 pm, especially if they stop to have a bite to eat. So for us, it works best to ask for their arrival time and schedule them in. That way, if we want to get out for dinner or go to the beach for a sunset, we know that we will not miss a guest's arrival.
But we firmly do not accommodate arrivals before 3:00pm. And we clearly state that on our web site and in all of our communications. Notice that we do not say "check-in"...we say "arrivals". Otherwise, some guests what to stop in early to drop off their luggage, use the bathroom, check out the room etc. We end up hanging around and they don't show up. Argh!!
Nope. We. Are. Not. Available. Before. 3:00pm. Period.
Yea, I definitely do not plan to let people earlier than 3 unless they pay a significant checkin fee. Try to get in before 3pm at a hotel, and I suspect they will charge or reject you.
I am going in the direction of after 6pm, here is your room code, checkin info, etc...
Trying to set up everything with futuristic conveniences. No keys (code locks), no hanging around for many hours until someone drags in, no answering every call and fighting off robo or charity or "what restaurants do you recommend" (who are you?).
After all, this is inspiring. don't want to become the Grinnch!!

Well we are in Europe but also here we need restrictions in order to get the work done. Checkout is latest until 12.00 and checkin starts at 13.00 until 18.00 if not agreed or informed otherwise! It`s always very interesting to find out what guests are telling B&B owners in other countries :) Lost in imagination :)))

Check put at 10.00 would be impossible here in Spain. We offer breakfast until 10.30 but by 12.00 we need the rooms to get cleaned.

Check out is 11:00. It was Noon until many here convinced me 2-3yrs ago to change. The extra hour has been a blessing and I do not feel like I am pushing people out the door either. Only a very few have needed a nudge.

Check in 3-7 for reg. with self check in after. As someone else said, it depends on what they are coming for, if it is a one night stay, but not a stop over most want the entire time and will be here as close to 3 as they can. Multi nighters are most likely between 6-7 or say they may need late check in directions.

Self check in here was another decision due to this forum. And another good one for me.

Different stokes for different folks.
This thread reminded me of a guest this last spring who had stayed at another B&B prior to here. That B&B had a 3pm check in. Be there at 3, not before or after. My guest called to make sure our check in was not that strict. They said they worried themselves silly and wondered what the innkeeper would do if they were late.

3p or later for in, by 11a for out. Breakfast is when they request the night before. Earliest ever was 3am this year for some guys up early to fish. latest was 10a. Another request for 10a for tomorrow. 10 is also the latest I serve. I think everyone in our small area has the same check in and out hours. The front door is locked until 3p with a sign out if I have to go out for errands.
A (very) few want to check in earlier than 3p. Most later. DH stay up for the late folks. He stays up late anyway normally. I'm up early for the breakfasts.

Posted check in is 3 - 7. today, 4 of five check ins were already done before 3. I like early check ins because I don't have to wait for them. Now, we are waiting.
If the rooms aren't ready, we just tell them that.

Posted check in is 3 - 7. today, 4 of five check ins were already done before 3. I like early check ins because I don't have to wait for them. Now, we are waiting.
If the rooms aren't ready, we just tell them that..
TheBeachHouse said:
Yes, if I know they are coming early (like tomorrow), I can prep. But when I am up to my elbows in laundry, bed making, vacuuming, etc and the friggin' doorbell is ringing every 10 minutes for someone who 'just wants to' or 'I know we're early, but we thought we'd check' I want to scream. So, instead, I post the note on the door that says no one is here, please return at 3.
Then I sneak around my own house so no one sees me. Because they WILL ring the bell if they see any signs of life. As I know from years gone by when I just needed TWO minutes to pee and I hear, thru the open window, 'Ring again, they HAVE to be in there, where else could they be???' (That's the whole August thing.)
I know the guest is not supposed to 'think' what this is like. After all, we wouldn't be doing this if we didn't want people in our house 24x7x365, right?
I tried to check into my hotel early. Without batting an eye the front desk clerk told me to come back at 3 PM. Then she went back to doing whatever.

For us, check-out is by 9:30 AM; check-in is after 3:30 PM.
Our check in is between 4 and 6 pm. It works for the most part. Out check out time for one suite is 10 and for the other is 11. We stager them as it is just hubby and I that clean the suites they are quite big . So when one leaves we hurry down and start to work of cleaning , making beds etc..
Then we can hear if the other one is leaving and rush up to say good bye. Then go down and finish putting every thing back in order. Ready for the next set of guest. then at1130 or 12 we start on the other one it takes us a bit longer to do that one. As it is 5room suite. We are done buy or 2 then off to market . Take us about 30 min to run into town and to get back again another 30 mins.
Arrive back at 400 to check in guests. We hope every one checks in by 7 then we can start set up for breakfast and start prep. We start set up for breakfast as soon as they leave for supper. after that prep gets done .
Then we can have our supper by 9 or 10pm. then hopefully cool down and all prep is done and emails done then off to bed. In 15 years we have only had 4 people not like leaving by 11am.or ish .
I must say this is a good conversation on times..
Our breakfast runs from 8am to 9ish am. Some need a take away breakfast. We put that in their fridge at night. They can eat it before they have to leave or they usually take it with them. As they are in some kind of race. This weekend it is bath tub and next week it is dragon boat races. Also bike race.
Those people usually leave at 4 am to 6 am . Come back dragging there poor wee bodies. In their fridge I usually have waiting some fresh fruit and special drinks to get them hydrated. Thank you all for the feed back Iam going to try having both suites check out at 11:00 am. It will make it tighter to get all done before next check in at 4pm to 6 pm?. On the days of no check in it would be ok. We just do not have much wiggle room from time they check out till all cleaning is done and marketing, paying bills run errands to next check in time...
I don't mind if they choose to stay But I ask them to please come out and sit on the balcony for a bit or go on the sundecks take a coffee with you and relax for a bit.while I make beds wash kitchen and do the bathroom. Empty garbage and vacuum as we are wall to wall carpet. And most guest just walk in with dirty shoes on so it means we are vacuum every day. If we don't the rugs get in such a mess like most hotel rugs. They are luck if they get done once a year . eww how gross.
We seem to do ours every month we may be luck and have to do it in about 6 weeks.

TheBeachHouse said:
Yes, if I know they are coming early (like tomorrow), I can prep. But when I am up to my elbows in laundry, bed making, vacuuming, etc and the friggin' doorbell is ringing every 10 minutes for someone who 'just wants to' or 'I know we're early, but we thought we'd check' I want to scream. So, instead, I post the note on the door that says no one is here, please return at 3.
Then I sneak around my own house so no one sees me. Because they WILL ring the bell if they see any signs of life. As I know from years gone by when I just needed TWO minutes to pee and I hear, thru the open window, 'Ring again, they HAVE to be in there, where else could they be???' (That's the whole August thing.)
I know the guest is not supposed to 'think' what this is like. After all, we wouldn't be doing this if we didn't want people in our house 24x7x365, right?
I tried to check into my hotel early. Without batting an eye the front desk clerk told me to come back at 3 PM. Then she went back to doing whatever.
Per earlier discussions, the note might say "early check in service, when available, prior to 3 pm is always $50 prepaid."

TheBeachHouse said:
Per earlier discussions, the note might say "early check in service, when available, prior to 3 pm is always $50 prepaid."
undersea said:
That would piss me off if I were a guest. It's very unfriendly. Perhaps, "early check in can be arranged in advance and with an additional charge."

TheBeachHouse said:
undersea said:
That would piss me off if I were a guest. It's very unfriendly. Perhaps, "early check in can be arranged in advance and with an additional charge."
TheBeachHouse said:
undersea said:
We can help work on the phrasing when the time comes!

TheBeachHouse said:
undersea said:
TheBeachHouse said:
undersea said:
Of course that could tick off people too. All those that don't read the information provided.

Check-in is "anytime you want ... after 3. If you're going to be later than 8pm, call us so we can make arrangements for self-checkin." Truth be told, we're only 2 years in, so we still are up and will wait for people until about 10, especially on Friday nights. I suspect in a few more years that will change.
We also offer an early-checkin or late checkout when available for an additional $50 fee. Truth be told, it's rarely available, but if I have an empty room the night before, I'll take $50 for someone to get here early and go skiing.

TheBeachHouse said:
undersea said:
TheBeachHouse said:
undersea said:
Of course that could tick off people too. All those that don't read the information provided.
Everything can tick people off. But lines in the sand have to be drawn at times. Unless you are waiting at the door, you cannot always come running down because someone ignores the sign and keeps on pounding. That ticks off the innkeeper and every guest staying there.
In reality, as I posted before, I am planning on one of those camera doorbells (like Ring Video Doorbell) for about $200. The doorbell does not ring, but it goes to the innkeeper's cell phone. You can dialogue with the person from anywhere (house, store, car, etc.). If they are trying to get in early, then you can explain your policy/availability.
As for people pounding, perhaps the door should be covered in nails to prevent that
wink_smile.gif

Back