Crepe maker

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What do you all fill your crepes with? I'm looking for savory suggestions!.
When they are savoury they are supposed to be made with buckwheat flour and are called galette, but we aren't purists in Britany, are we? In any case....
Ricotta, lemon zest and a little honey
Ham, cheese and fried egg
Asparagus, tomato and cheese
Bacon and eggs
Cream cheese, salmon and a dill sauce (capers too)
Goat cheese, nuts and a little honey
Need more ideas?
Oh and a galette is usually folded with the four sides in to make a square where you can still see the filling on the inside :)
I make a galette that bakes in the oven with pie crust.
The buckwheat crepes are called ployes around here.
The new creperie here does smoked salmon. I'm getting one of those for dinner tonight.
Can't wait to start making these for breakfast. We need a new dish.

When they are savoury they are supposed to be made with buckwheat flour and are called galette, but we aren't purists in Britany, are we? In any case....
Bacon and eggs
Need more ideas?
Oh and a galette is usually folded with the four sides in to make a square where you can still see the filling on the inside :)
The new creperie here does smoked salmon. I'm getting one of those for dinner tonight.
Blintz (Jewish crepes)
Make a pie filling, put at bottom of crepe (cooked side), fold over, hold down and pull back to make the filling tighter. Fold over side edges and roll. You then refry them in a pan with oil on the uncooked side and serve as you wish. You can freeze them with some wax paper or parchment between them, defrost, do the second fry to heat through and serve on a day you want less work.
My crepe dough for blintzes is 1c flour, 1c water, 1c milk, 2T oil and a bit of salt. The GF version is 1/3c buckwheat flour, 1/3c brown rice flour and 1/2c of tapioca flour instead of the flour. You can use almond or rice milk instead of real milk if you want. Blend batter and let sit a MINIMUM of 30 minutes, but better an hour. Yes, it's thin!
PS: Make them thicker and bake them and you have canelloni... italian crepes :)

Bacon and eggs
Need more ideas?
Blintz (Jewish crepes)
Make a pie filling, put at bottom of crepe (cooked side), fold over, hold down and pull back to make the filling tighter. Fold over side edges and roll. You then refry them in a pan with oil on the uncooked side and serve as you wish. You can freeze them with some wax paper or parchment between them, defrost, do the second fry to heat through and serve on a day you want less work.
My crepe dough for blintzes is 1c flour, 1c water, 1c milk, 2T oil and a bit of salt. The GF version is 1/3c buckwheat flour, 1/3c brown rice flour and 1/2c of tapioca flour instead of the flour. You can use almond or rice milk instead of real milk if you want. Blend batter and let sit a MINIMUM of 30 minutes, but better an hour. Yes, it's thin!
It gets better all the time!
Just had a smoked salmon crepe. Dh is ready to roll! He's excited now that he watched her making them and saw how easy it is.

Bacon and eggs
Need more ideas?
Blintz (Jewish crepes)
Just had a smoked salmon crepe. Dh is ready to roll! He's excited now that he watched her making them and saw how easy it is.
I use a crepe pan almost exclusively (don't have space for a fancy extra device :) Do you have starfrit in the US? I often pick them up on sale for $10 to $15. Makes it easy to flip my omelets as well.

Bacon and eggs
Need more ideas?
Blintz (Jewish crepes)
I use a crepe pan almost exclusively (don't have space for a fancy extra device :) Do you have starfrit in the US? I often pick them up on sale for $10 to $15. Makes it easy to flip my omelets as well.
Amazon. But I haven't seen a store or the name locally.
We don't have room for the fancy gadget either. Hoping it doesn't just sit and collect dust.

Bacon and eggs
Need more ideas?
Blintz (Jewish crepes)
We don't have room for the fancy gadget either. Hoping it doesn't just sit and collect dust.
When you get it, buy wax paper. Great if you have extras to store, you put it between the layers, so they don't stick and then refrigerate or FREEZE.

Bacon and eggs
Need more ideas?
Blintz (Jewish crepes)
When you get it, buy wax paper. Great if you have extras to store, you put it between the layers, so they don't stick and then refrigerate or FREEZE.
We will be doing them in advance. There really isn't room in the kitchen for that thing while we're trying to get breakfast going!

Bacon and eggs
Need more ideas?
Blintz (Jewish crepes)
We will be doing them in advance. There really isn't room in the kitchen for that thing while we're trying to get breakfast going!
And so now you know why I like doing them as blintzes. All rolled up and you just put one or two on the stove to warm while the guest waits. They can put jam on the cheese ones or you can have a fruit sauce. And some sour cream on the side. But I'm sure you can look up images online. And you can just call them crepes, the same fold is used in France too. :)

Bacon and eggs
Need more ideas?
Blintz (Jewish crepes)
And so now you know why I like doing them as blintzes. All rolled up and you just put one or two on the stove to warm while the guest waits. They can put jam on the cheese ones or you can have a fruit sauce. And some sour cream on the side. But I'm sure you can look up images online. And you can just call them crepes, the same fold is used in France too. :)
We liked the square fold and the triangular fold from last night. Rather than trying to roll them up.

Bacon and eggs
Need more ideas?
Blintz (Jewish crepes)
JS
We have no wax paper here any more.This year I see the stores have not any wax paper to been Seen! Plain disappeared!
Saw some down south in The Dollar Store,so I stocked up . I am going to miss it . I use a fair amount of wax paper.

Bacon and eggs
Need more ideas?
Blintz (Jewish crepes)
We liked the square fold and the triangular fold from last night. Rather than trying to roll them up.
So if you want to store them, you need to store flat crepes. The roll-up can be stored filled.

Poppa Smurf and I were both General Managers for Magic Pan Creperies from '77-'91. I actually was their Menu Developer. We made thousands of crepes daily on our patented crepe wheel, which involved dipping greased upside down pans into crepe batter, placing them on one of the nine slots on a wheel that rotated over a circular gas flame. Done one time around, lace-thin, and stacked in the center 6 inches tall!
We did a bunch of brunch items, one of them was Country Eggs: Chopped Bacon, Toasted Hash browns, and green onion, fresh herbs, scrambled with eggs (in the microwave), folded into a crepe, then topped with cheese sauce and a sprinkle of smoked paprika. Also, Stouffer's Spinach Souffle layered in the bottom of a crepe lengthwise, topped with 2 poached eggs, folded, then topped with Hollandaise or Béarnaise.
We also had a great blintz recipe that used fresh lemon peel, ricotta and baker's cheese, with a hint of sugar.
Or Fresh strawberries mixed with brown sugar, topped with 1/2 whip cream blended with 1/2 sour cream, then folded, topped with powdered sugar, a dollop of cream, and a whole strawberry, was a signature.
I could go on and on.

Madeleine, enjoy the ice cream maker - it's really a lot of fun. I'd also recommend treating yourself to David Lebovitz's Perfect Scoop cookbook....the chocolate ice cream recipe alone is worth the cost of the book.

Poppa Smurf and I were both General Managers for Magic Pan Creperies from '77-'91. I actually was their Menu Developer. We made thousands of crepes daily on our patented crepe wheel, which involved dipping greased upside down pans into crepe batter, placing them on one of the nine slots on a wheel that rotated over a circular gas flame. Done one time around, lace-thin, and stacked in the center 6 inches tall!
We did a bunch of brunch items, one of them was Country Eggs: Chopped Bacon, Toasted Hash browns, and green onion, fresh herbs, scrambled with eggs (in the microwave), folded into a crepe, then topped with cheese sauce and a sprinkle of smoked paprika. Also, Stouffer's Spinach Souffle layered in the bottom of a crepe lengthwise, topped with 2 poached eggs, folded, then topped with Hollandaise or Béarnaise.
We also had a great blintz recipe that used fresh lemon peel, ricotta and baker's cheese, with a hint of sugar.
Or Fresh strawberries mixed with brown sugar, topped with 1/2 whip cream blended with 1/2 sour cream, then folded, topped with powdered sugar, a dollop of cream, and a whole strawberry, was a signature.
I could go on and on..
I have had the lemon ricotta blintz, nice work if that was yours, no wonder I thought you were both so sweet! :)

I could go on and on..
Do you make these now? I'll be down tomorrow for breakfast!

I could go on and on..
No not often, too much labor. BUT another Magic Pan favorite, which is easy to do is Maple Butter Crepes. Simply fold 4-5 crepes in triangles, overlap them in a row the length of the plate. Heat real Maple Syrup with real melted butter, and just ladle on the crepes when ready to serve. Garnish with an orange twist and sprig of mint. Serve with bacon.
Funny our very first guest in '06 turned out to be former Magic Pan employees, even worked in Chicago the same time as we. And you know the famous chefs Mark & Clark, formerly of Arrows Restaurant? Well, turns out Mark worked for us at the Faneuil Hall store as a Production cook.... his very first job!!

I could go on and on..
No not often, too much labor. BUT another Magic Pan favorite, which is easy to do is Maple Butter Crepes. Simply fold 4-5 crepes in triangles, overlap them in a row the length of the plate. Heat real Maple Syrup with real melted butter, and just ladle on the crepes when ready to serve. Garnish with an orange twist and sprig of mint. Serve with bacon.
Funny our very first guest in '06 turned out to be former Magic Pan employees, even worked in Chicago the same time as we. And you know the famous chefs Mark & Clark, formerly of Arrows Restaurant? Well, turns out Mark worked for us at the Faneuil Hall store as a Production cook.... his very first job!!
So that's where he got his start!

Got the crepe maker! Had to email Jon for a good recipe. Still getting the hang of making them round and insuring they are cooked. Haven't tried to fill them yet.
This is the first time we've pretested a recipe and glad we did. What a debacle!

Got the crepe maker! Had to email Jon for a good recipe. Still getting the hang of making them round and insuring they are cooked. Haven't tried to fill them yet.
This is the first time we've pretested a recipe and glad we did. What a debacle!.
I find crepe batter does better rested. Even overnight in the fridge. If that isn't doable, mix it first and let it mellow while you do other stuff. The longer, the better. Hope you have a blast with the new toy!

Back