Crepe maker

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This original conversation and Momma Smurfs' suggestions inspired me to try savory crepes. They turned out AMAZING! After we served all the guests we got to try one and our jaws dropped at how good they were. So relieved and thrilled! I made the crepes with salt & pepper instead of vanilla & sugar. Then also added finely chopped chives to the batter. Stuffed with sharp cheddar cheese, crispy hash browns, scrambled eggs, sauteed ham & onion, rolled up with hollandaise sauce over top. Yowza!
Funny thing - I did not know how much filling to make and just did a guesstimate. Holy cow I threw alot away. You can't put much of each thing in there if you still want to be able to roll it up. Might make this more often just because it uses much less eggs & hashbrowns than if I put them individually on the plate.
IMG_20140525_093524_896%20%281024x576%29.jpg
That sounds like what DH wants to try to do. I'll tell him about this. (And the sweet one, too!)
The only two issues I had were:
1- The green onions in the crepe did not cook thoroughly when I made the crepes. Needed to cut them much thinner. But, it was still good.
2 - The crepe is so darn thin, it rips easily.

This original conversation and Momma Smurfs' suggestions inspired me to try savory crepes. They turned out AMAZING! After we served all the guests we got to try one and our jaws dropped at how good they were. So relieved and thrilled! I made the crepes with salt & pepper instead of vanilla & sugar. Then also added finely chopped chives to the batter. Stuffed with sharp cheddar cheese, crispy hash browns, scrambled eggs, sauteed ham & onion, rolled up with hollandaise sauce over top. Yowza!
Funny thing - I did not know how much filling to make and just did a guesstimate. Holy cow I threw alot away. You can't put much of each thing in there if you still want to be able to roll it up. Might make this more often just because it uses much less eggs & hashbrowns than if I put them individually on the plate.
That sounds like what DH wants to try to do. I'll tell him about this. (And the sweet one, too!)
1- The green onions in the crepe did not cook thoroughly when I made the crepes. Needed to cut them much thinner. But, it was still good.
Did you let the batter sit for 60 minutes? If you are already doing both, add more flour.

Did you let the batter sit for 60 minutes? If you are already doing both, add more flour.
Yes, I let it sit. Thought crepes were supposed to be real thin. But, a little extra flour and thickness would definitely help the problem. I quickly figured out that I needed to add less ingredients and treat it gently. I'm the proverbial "Bull in a China Shop". Not much gets treated tenderly around me
wink_smile.gif

Got the crepe maker! Had to email Jon for a good recipe. Still getting the hang of making them round and insuring they are cooked. Haven't tried to fill them yet.
This is the first time we've pretested a recipe and glad we did. What a debacle!.
I find crepe batter does better rested. Even overnight in the fridge. If that isn't doable, mix it first and let it mellow while you do other stuff. The longer, the better. Hope you have a blast with the new toy!
Yes, we let the batter take a mini vacation before using. Now trying to come up with fillings and perfecting the folding technique.
I was told to go away with the camera. Dh won't be on Chopped anytime soon. ;-)
Love crepes -- I mix ricotta, mascarpone & cream cheese together with vanilla, powdered sugar and lemon zest. Adjust sweetness depending on what you're topping it with. I then spoon my homemade wild blueberry sauce over them and serve with sausage. I have actually seen a guest lick the plate they're so good. Also love to fill them with a mixture of spiced apples and pears that I cover with a cinnamon sauce in the fall (although it's good anytime of year).
Crepes.jpg

Mtn keeper.
That looks sooo good I am coming right over ummmm
I'll make you some but I won't be joining you. Over the past 9 years I've eaten too many of my great breakfasts that I now need to lose 30lbs. But I promise to make them extra good, I love when people enjoy my food.
It is funny you all have eaten your breakfasts. I guess I am rather strange. As I can say I have not tried many of my own breakfasts. I am not one for breakfast bad me! I am starting after many years to like having yoghurt and a banana. Iam over weight also so many people say you got to eat breakfast it is important. So I am giving it a try. LOL I have the nerve to tell my customers how important it is to have a good breakfast!1 Shame on me!
But I love to cook so much and try different recipes. Never ending trying . I just bought some 45 cook books while travelling in your country side this past year.. I too love when people really enjoy me food it gives me that warm feeling.

Back