did you see this?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I in NO WAY condone the acts of this innkeeper in her posts - no way, no how. I just feel that adding even more links and quotes about this idiot just adds more fuel. I for one am looking for a quick death to this.
Now maybe some reporter will step up make a positive story about how innkeepers come in all shapes and sizes, cultures and backgrounds and our B&B's are as unique as we are..
copperhead said:
I in NO WAY condone the acts of this innkeeper in her posts - no way, no how. I just feel that adding even more links and quotes about this idiot just adds more fuel. I for one am looking for a quick death to this.
I think the 24-hour news cycle has taken care of that - the story has dropped off the charts.
copperhead said:
Now maybe some reporter will step up make a positive story about how innkeepers come in all shapes and sizes, cultures and backgrounds and our B&B's are as unique as we are.
I think that's unlikely, given how closely this followed the finalization of the Canadian case of denial of service. I just hope no one does the negative story that ties all of these up in one. Hopefully the PAII statement will serve as a preemptive strike.

Proud Texan said:
It's not that facebook page that caused the problem. You can see the full story with a transcript of the offensive post here. It was picked up by the mainstream press, went viral, and PAII responded to that.
muirford said:
Proud Texan said:
It's not that facebook page that caused the problem. You can see the full story with a transcript of the offensive post here. It was picked up by the mainstream press, went viral, and PAII responded to that.
That's disgusting. How "Christian" of her.

I posted on the wall, but, of course, it's been removed. I simply stated that not only does this woman NOT speak for all Christians, she also does NOT speak for all innkeepers! Most of us are quite welcoming of all persons, regardless of (fill in the blank) preferences. Those of us who might be less tolerant of guests that don't fit our definition of 'perfect' do well to keep our mouths shut.

I do not wish to voice my opinion on this. I do have a question! We have had a few same sex couples stay at our place! It has made for some very uncomfortable breakfasts in the morning! People are very quit and eat very fast or leave! My question is this! I had a couple after learning of the same sex couple staying on property, they were so uncomfortable they wanted to check out! They still had 3 days left to stay. How would you of handled this?

...they were so uncomfortable they wanted to check out!
In 2012, I'd say it's their choice and their problem. You're required by both law and decency to welcome all guests. People who can't tolerate the presence of a gay couple are just going to have to pay the price for continuing to live in the 1950's. In other words, no refund.

I do not wish to voice my opinion on this. I do have a question! We have had a few same sex couples stay at our place! It has made for some very uncomfortable breakfasts in the morning! People are very quit and eat very fast or leave! My question is this! I had a couple after learning of the same sex couple staying on property, they were so uncomfortable they wanted to check out! They still had 3 days left to stay. How would you of handled this?.
I think (remember I was not in that position so cannot know in "real-time") I would have offered the uncomfortable couple another location or time for their breakfast so they would not have been "exposed" to a situation that was not of the making of anyone other than themselves - but your job is to give them a pleasant experience IF POSSIBLE. The offer of different location/time for breakfast is the best you could do. If that was not enough, if they leave, they leave - no refund. YOU did nothing to precipitate their departure.
So - what DID you do?

I do not wish to voice my opinion on this. I do have a question! We have had a few same sex couples stay at our place! It has made for some very uncomfortable breakfasts in the morning! People are very quit and eat very fast or leave! My question is this! I had a couple after learning of the same sex couple staying on property, they were so uncomfortable they wanted to check out! They still had 3 days left to stay. How would you of handled this?.
Wow. We've had lots of same sex couples here and haven't noticed any degradation in the conversation at breakfast. Curious how your guests 'found out' there was a same sex couple in the house? How did they know this 'couple' wasn't really just friends traveling together?
I do have to say that we haven't had too much in the way of PDA around here. So most guests could hazard a guess but would never really know.
We have a LOT of sisters who stay with us to 'meet halfway' and often the only rooms left have one bed. They don't care. So, if another guest were nosy and peeked into the room when the women opened the door they'd be stymied as to the relationship. They could think anything they wanted.
OTOH, you asked how we would handle someone being obviously upset by what they found here. If the upset couple had not been harassed by the couple they didn't like (for whatever reason, it doesn't have to be that they were gay) we'd let them know we accept everyone openly, including people with beliefs other than our own. And we're sorry we can't refund you because you don't like XYZ. If the couple had been harassed we'd ask the harassing couple to leave.
You really can't start refunding based on biases. Next thing you know you'll have people telling you that women dressed in black are witches, that people who read THAT newspaper or watch THAT TV show are Satanists and anyone who doesn't eat red meat is anti-American. And I want my money back because I'm pretty sure one of them is staying in the cabin next door to me.
We have a couple of really sweet guys who stay with us every year. They bring mom along. If a boy's mother can stand to be in a suite with her son and his companion, then a guest in another room can just grow up.
Even guests who have told us right up front that they are very conservative have had no problem dealing with finding a gay couple at the next table at breakfast.
Don't even throw in children here as a reason to leave. It's a perfect teaching moment for parents of all stripes.

You really can't start refunding based on biases.
Well said. We shoot to please the norm, not the extremes.

You really can't start refunding based on biases. Next thing you know you'll have people telling you that women dressed in black are witches, that people who read THAT newspaper or watch THAT TV show are Satanists and anyone who doesn't eat red meat is anti-American. And I want my money back because I'm pretty sure one of them is staying in the cabin next door to me.
Best answer yet. People with issues like the guests Bob mentioned need to STAY at HOME, anywhere else they may just run into someone that offends them.

What the hell were they afraid of, recruitment?
It is their problem, not yours. You won't or can't discriminate. You sympathize with them that they feel this way, but unfortunately you can't discriminate against the other couple. They may do as they wish, but unfortunately, you can't refund their money because it is their personal problem, and has nothing to do with the other couple or you. Sympathy that they feel that way, not with what they feel.
I guess I don't have the problem, because if they did, they wouldn't stay here. Though, I have to say that some guests have left us pamphlets. And there was the fake T/A review.

Best answer yet. People with issues like the guests Bob mentioned need to STAY at HOME, anywhere else they may just run into someone that offends them..
I agree! Just wanted some opinions! The guest found out when the couple next to them were so loud doing their thing all night long. I think they had a different visual in their heads than what they saw coming out of the room next to them to go to breakfast! The gay couple were obvious to the other guests that they were not sisters or just good friends! I was lucky and did have a different room that I could move them to! We went 10 years without having any gay couples stay with us! In the last year or so we have had 5 or 6! I guess it's the latest trend so to speak!

why were these guests so uncomfortable?
why was breakfast uncomfortable?
were people cuddling and kissing at the breakfast table? frankly, i find any big physical displays of affection by any kind of couple off - putting ... but i would not check out because of it.
how did the uncomfortable people know the other guests weren't brothers or sisters or friends sharing a room?
i went to a wedding in maine and some of the guests decided to share a room and a bed ... not my preference but rooms were scarce and they didn't go over the max for the room. not a problem. two sisters shared a room, two brothers shared a room, a mother and daughter shared a room (both adults), two male cousins shared a room, and a gay couple shared a room.
if a guest told me they wanted to check out because a gay couple was staying ... well, they can if they wish to, but the room has been charged to their credit card and that's that. i wouldn't want guests to stay with me if they were unhappy for any reason .... but they might check in at a hotel and discover gay couples in nearby rooms.
i had a fair number of same sex couples stay at my b&b and nothing seemed amiss ... i had no problem with them and as far as i know my straight guests were not checking to see how many rooms were booked and who slept where. i had eight rooms, so that makes a difference perhaps.
i remember my late father, upon meeting a gay couple in the supermarket ... men who shared a house and who lived in his neighborhood ... he chatted a bit with them and as he and i walked away he commented, 'two old bachelors i suppose'. it just didn't occur to him to think otherwise.

being loud like that in a b&b is just rude ... no matter what kind of couple they may be.
are your rooms soundproofed?
i had a straight married couple stay with me and the man was extremely loud ... he shouted ... it was ridiculous. i actually stood outside their room and shouted to the chambermaid so that the couple would know ... i hoped ... that since they could hear me, i could hear them. it didn't help.
i'll have to find the old post about it.

Best answer yet. People with issues like the guests Bob mentioned need to STAY at HOME, anywhere else they may just run into someone that offends them..
I agree! Just wanted some opinions! The guest found out when the couple next to them were so loud doing their thing all night long. I think they had a different visual in their heads than what they saw coming out of the room next to them to go to breakfast! The gay couple were obvious to the other guests that they were not sisters or just good friends! I was lucky and did have a different room that I could move them to! We went 10 years without having any gay couples stay with us! In the last year or so we have had 5 or 6! I guess it's the latest trend so to speak!
I guess it's the latest trend so to speak!
I don't think being gay is a trend...
Kind of too bad the guests were THAT noisy. I would also have moved the other couple and had a serious look at the soundproofing. I know we're not soundproof here but so far no complaints other than one couple who were upset with a couple of kids who they said sounded like a herd of elephants going up the stairs at 10 PM.

Aaahhhhhh, the SCREAMERS. We had a straight couple that used to come here to meet - he was taking care of his ancient mother. Talk about screamers!!! Fortunately every time they came, they were the only ones inn-house. Then his mother died and they got married (they were not young kids).

Kind of too bad the guests were THAT noisy. I would also have moved the other couple and had a serious look at the soundproofing. I know we're not soundproof here but so far no complaints other than one couple who were upset with a couple of kids who they said sounded like a herd of elephants going up the stairs at 10 PM.
Madeleine said:
thumbs_up.gif

Im lucky here we have pretty thick walls plus the 2 bathrooms are on the walls between rooms ie provide and extra layer of barrier to sound. - Therefore you have to scream ruddy loud to be heard -
We've never had problems at breakfast with same sex couples and etc but that may be because everyone sits at their own table and we are a bit british and people don't tend to chat between tables anyway.
Plus weirdly as the British are internationally renound as the most conservative people in the world we are actually pretty liberal!

Im lucky here we have pretty thick walls plus the 2 bathrooms are on the walls between rooms ie provide and extra layer of barrier to sound. - Therefore you have to scream ruddy loud to be heard -
We've never had problems at breakfast with same sex couples and etc but that may be because everyone sits at their own table and we are a bit british and people don't tend to chat between tables anyway.
Plus weirdly as the British are internationally renound as the most conservative people in the world we are actually pretty liberal!
We live on the Bible Belt of the US. We don't have to many of them around! We do not discriminate against them! Anyone is welcome! That said, people are not use to them around here! They don't know how to react! So it makes people uncomfortable! We do welcome anyone at our B & B! To each is own! I just hope enough people stay straight to carry on the human race! Lol!

In 2012, I'd say it's their choice and their problem. You're required by both law and decency to welcome all guests. People who can't tolerate the presence of a gay couple are just going to have to pay the price for continuing to live in the 1950's. In other words, no refund..
Arkansawyer said:
In 2012, I'd say it's their choice and their problem. You're required by both law and decency to welcome all guests. People who can't tolerate the presence of a gay couple are just going to have to pay the price for continuing to live in the 1950's. In other words, no refund.
Amen.
I've been toying with the thought of stating on our website that we do not discriminate based on race, creed, political affiliation or sexual orientation. As you inferred, in 2012, it should be obvious, but apparently it's not.
I really do have to wonder about the closeted issues these people have to feel so uncomfortable around gays, especially at the breakfast table. Unless they were doing something other than eating, it's ridiculous.

we are a bit british and people don't tend to chat between tables anyway.
Yes, I've been to Yorkshire. A bit British indeed. I love it. Don't ever change!

Back