did you see this?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You really can't start refunding based on biases. Next thing you know you'll have people telling you that women dressed in black are witches, that people who read THAT newspaper or watch THAT TV show are Satanists and anyone who doesn't eat red meat is anti-American. And I want my money back because I'm pretty sure one of them is staying in the cabin next door to me.
Best answer yet. People with issues like the guests Bob mentioned need to STAY at HOME, anywhere else they may just run into someone that offends them..
I agree! Just wanted some opinions! The guest found out when the couple next to them were so loud doing their thing all night long. I think they had a different visual in their heads than what they saw coming out of the room next to them to go to breakfast! The gay couple were obvious to the other guests that they were not sisters or just good friends! I was lucky and did have a different room that I could move them to! We went 10 years without having any gay couples stay with us! In the last year or so we have had 5 or 6! I guess it's the latest trend so to speak!
Im lucky here we have pretty thick walls plus the 2 bathrooms are on the walls between rooms ie provide and extra layer of barrier to sound. - Therefore you have to scream ruddy loud to be heard -
We've never had problems at breakfast with same sex couples and etc but that may be because everyone sits at their own table and we are a bit british and people don't tend to chat between tables anyway.
Plus weirdly as the British are internationally renound as the most conservative people in the world we are actually pretty liberal!
We live on the Bible Belt of the US. We don't have to many of them around! We do not discriminate against them! Anyone is welcome! That said, people are not use to them around here! They don't know how to react! So it makes people uncomfortable! We do welcome anyone at our B & B! To each is own! I just hope enough people stay straight to carry on the human race! Lol!
Bob said:
We live on the Bible Belt of the US. We don't have to many of them around! We do not discriminate against them! Anyone is welcome! That said, people are not use to them around here! They don't know how to react! So it makes people uncomfortable! We do welcome anyone at our B & B! To each is own! I just hope enough people stay straight to carry on the human race! Lol!
i have a feeling there are more of 'them' around the bible belt than you might think.
i don't believe that people turn gay or 'stay straight' ... they are who they are.

You really can't start refunding based on biases. Next thing you know you'll have people telling you that women dressed in black are witches, that people who read THAT newspaper or watch THAT TV show are Satanists and anyone who doesn't eat red meat is anti-American. And I want my money back because I'm pretty sure one of them is staying in the cabin next door to me.
Best answer yet. People with issues like the guests Bob mentioned need to STAY at HOME, anywhere else they may just run into someone that offends them..
I agree! Just wanted some opinions! The guest found out when the couple next to them were so loud doing their thing all night long. I think they had a different visual in their heads than what they saw coming out of the room next to them to go to breakfast! The gay couple were obvious to the other guests that they were not sisters or just good friends! I was lucky and did have a different room that I could move them to! We went 10 years without having any gay couples stay with us! In the last year or so we have had 5 or 6! I guess it's the latest trend so to speak!
Im lucky here we have pretty thick walls plus the 2 bathrooms are on the walls between rooms ie provide and extra layer of barrier to sound. - Therefore you have to scream ruddy loud to be heard -
We've never had problems at breakfast with same sex couples and etc but that may be because everyone sits at their own table and we are a bit british and people don't tend to chat between tables anyway.
Plus weirdly as the British are internationally renound as the most conservative people in the world we are actually pretty liberal!
Bob said:
We live on the Bible Belt of the US....people are not use to them around here! They don't know how to react!
Time to learn.
Reminds me of when, in my childhood, black folks could sit only in the balcony at our local movie theater.
One day, about 1966, a black woman (it's always a woman) went downstairs and had a seat. Nobody said a word and now that woman is a local legend and hero for setting things right.
The first mixed race couple appeared on the streets here about 1978. Again, nobody said a word. No problem. Another barrier broken and behind us. We're in the Bible Belt too, but I think we're a bit British here!

Bob said:
i have a feeling there are more of 'them' around the bible belt than you might think.
i don't believe that people turn gay or 'stay straight' ... they are who they are.
I will agree to disagree! One of our great friends husband walked out on her after 18 years of marriage and 3 kids for a guy! My wife had a boyfriend who she dated who turned gay later in life! I think some might be born that way but not all!

Bob said:
I will agree to disagree! One of our great friends husband walked out on her after 18 years of marriage and 3 kids for a guy! My wife had a boyfriend who she dated who turned gay later in life! I think some might be born that way but not all!
Bob said:
In a word RUBBISH. But you are entitled to your opinion.

Bob said:
Bob said:
Ever heard of a closet? It's fear that keep some people there for many different reasons, especially in the bible belt.
I have had more than 1 gay couple hug me in tears, thanking me for accepting and treating them as we treat everyone. And this is a very liberal state. One of the reasons we get a lot of same sex couples is because they don't have to sit at a table with others who may judge them. I would imagine in the bible belt, most same sex couples don't choose to stay in a b&b for that reason.

Bob said:
Bob said:
Red heads are red headed. You can die it brown all you want, but you still have ginger hair.
Left handed people are lefties. You can learn to write with the other hand all you want, you can get beaten by a nun all you want, but you are still a leftie.
People hide their own identity. They swallow it. They do what they are supposed to do because others pressure them. They swallow their pride and marry because they want kids and it seems the only way. They repress who they are because of society, family, desires, personal hatred, etc. Eventually it just gets too much. It isn't that they changed, it is simply that they have stupidly been taught that it what they need to do.
Want to really understand the problem, take a look at those in the Ex-Gay camp. Some of the saddest people. The suicide rate is incredibly high... about a third!
Recessive traits (mendeleian traits) in people run about 10%, lefties, ear lobe not attached, ginger hair, ability to smell cyanide, tongue rolling, morton's toe, etc. Funny, that number.

Bob said:
Bob said:
Red heads are red headed. You can die it brown all you want, but you still have ginger hair.
Left handed people are lefties. You can learn to write with the other hand all you want, you can get beaten by a nun all you want, but you are still a leftie.
People hide their own identity. They swallow it. They do what they are supposed to do because others pressure them. They swallow their pride and marry because they want kids and it seems the only way. They repress who they are because of society, family, desires, personal hatred, etc. Eventually it just gets too much. It isn't that they changed, it is simply that they have stupidly been taught that it what they need to do.
Want to really understand the problem, take a look at those in the Ex-Gay camp. Some of the saddest people. The suicide rate is incredibly high... about a third!
Recessive traits (mendeleian traits) in people run about 10%, lefties, ear lobe not attached, ginger hair, ability to smell cyanide, tongue rolling, morton's toe, etc. Funny, that number.
Smelling cyanide? You either can or you can't? I never knew that.
You must be a leftie. You told that nun story very convincingly. Did they tie your left hand to the desk and force you to write with your right hand? We could have a whole day just commiserating on what we all went thru in Catholic school. Lefties run in my family. Not fast enough to get away from the nuns mind. ;-) All the righties are ambidextrous. We can also write with our toes. But don't tell the nuns!

Bob said:
Bob said:
You must be a leftie. You told that nun story very convincingly. Did they tie your left hand to the desk and force you to write with your right hand? We could have a whole day just commiserating on what we all went thru in Catholic school. Lefties run in my family. Not fast enough to get away from the nuns mind. ;-) All the righties are ambidextrous. We can also write with our toes. But don't tell the nuns!
Madeleine said:
Apparently smelling cyanide is a recessive trait, about 10% of the population can smell it (and it smells like almonds). Another odd trait is the ability to taste Phenylthiocarbamide, which is very bitter and it's the dominant trait. And of course the widow's peak on the hairline is recessive. I have the dry earwax recessive trait, unfortunately.
No, not a leftie and they didn't let us Jewish people into Catholic schools. One of my favourite teachers told us the stories of having lived through that. And MoH's sister had the same thing, until her father stepped in and told the nun to stop.
There was a leftie shop and I used to buy pens there. Because Hebrew is right to left, you run your hand over the letters, just as lefties do in English. So the fast drying pen was useful.

Bob said:
Bob said:
"Recessive traits (mendeleian traits) in people run about 10%, lefties, ear lobe not attached, ginger hair, ability to smell cyanide, tongue rolling, morton's toe, etc. Funny, that number."
Wow, I did't know I was in the 10% for several things listed - I am special
wink_smile.gif

we are a bit british and people don't tend to chat between tables anyway.
Yes, I've been to Yorkshire. A bit British indeed. I love it. Don't ever change!
Have you ever read bill bryson's book about when he lived in Masham (this is about 10 miles from me) he's like after 10 years I got the finger wave this means you have been accepted into the community! thats about right! People make sure their kids are born here so that they can play cricket for Yorkshire which makes me laugh!
Also people from London can't believe how friendly people are - in London no one speaks to anyone! - told one of my guests who has a sort of medical condition where she can't tell what direction she is going in and can't use maps (sort of like the condition where people can't identify faces) I just told her to ask people and she looked at me like I was mad - when she came back - she was like "I asked lots of people and they were all really helpful!" told ya so! partly its because we are a conference town and are used to hundreds of lost people wandering about everywhere all the time.

Bob said:
Bob said:
Madeleine said:
Apparently smelling cyanide is a recessive trait, about 10% of the population can smell it (and it smells like almonds). Another odd trait is the ability to taste Phenylthiocarbamide, which is very bitter and it's the dominant trait. And of course the widow's peak on the hairline is recessive. I have the dry earwax recessive trait, unfortunately.
No, not a leftie and they didn't let us Jewish people into Catholic schools. One of my favourite teachers told us the stories of having lived through that. And MoH's sister had the same thing, until her father stepped in and told the nun to stop.
There was a leftie shop and I used to buy pens there. Because Hebrew is right to left, you run your hand over the letters, just as lefties do in English. So the fast drying pen was useful.
Oh, doh. I knew you're Jewish. Dope slap.
I knew cyanide smells like burnt almonds because of Agatha Christie but no one ever mentioned that not everyone can smell it.
And there's the whole tongue curling thing, too. Ah, yes, the genetics section in biology class was all fun and games.

Bob said:
Bob said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Thank you for this insightful response. This is my story. I didn't "switch sides", I woke up and decided to live my life happily. However, Society still controls much of my life because there are unspoken restraints on LGBT individuals that others just don't understand.

Bob said:
Bob said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Thank you for this insightful response. This is my story. I didn't "switch sides", I woke up and decided to live my life happily. However, Society still controls much of my life because there are unspoken restraints on LGBT individuals that others just don't understand.
K9 said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
You won't get that here. If we weren't accepting, then none of us would be here. Be who you are to the best of your ability and you'll be on the right track.

Bob said:
Bob said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
K9 said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
You won't get that here. If we weren't accepting, then none of us would be here. Be who you are to the best of your ability and you'll be on the right track.
Yes, we accept everyone - smart, not-so-smart, sweeties (Seashanty), jackasses (my crowd), everyone

Bob said:
Bob said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
K9 said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Yes, we accept everyone - smart, not-so-smart, sweeties (Seashanty), jackasses (my crowd), everyone
gillumhouse said:
By "my crowd" she means me.
wink_smile.gif

Bob said:
Bob said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Well, living in Canada, there are a lot less restraints.

Bob said:
Bob said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
K9 said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
gillumhouse said:
wink_smile.gif

Proud Texan said:
gillumhouse said:
wink_smile.gif
How can you say that? I thought you were just a lovable little fuzzball!

Back