Do You Have Something Annoying That Guests Do That Drives You CrAzY Each Time They Do It?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry for the necropost, but after managing to get them to stop unplugging it for a long while, today someone found a brand new way to reset the unit. Ahole ingenuity. So, today I had to get out the ladder, reset the AC again. And then I did what I should have done a long time ago.... I fixed it all up....
duct-tape.jpg

I have half a roll left over :).
thumbs_up.gif
thumbs_up.gif

Glad this post came back up. I was catching up on 4 days of laundry (been away on my own), had the sign out and someone rang the bell. I thought it was UPS, should have looked first. No, tonight's guests wanting to ask a million questions, see their room, carry on a conversation and try to hit me up for a free upgrade.
Guess what guys? You probably could have gotten a $30 upgrade on the house had you not totally ignored the request to come back later. Had you not tried to plead poverty about paying for the upgrade. Had you graciously exited instead of yammering on after I explained I really needed to get on with the cleaning, etc.
When they reserved the entire house was open. They choose cheap. They ignored the posted signage. Pay up.
BTW, expecting my usual grumpy innkeeper review after this. A month later than usual, but it's been a tough month so far..
Have I mentioned guests who sit down in the dining room but tell me they're not ready to eat yet, they're enjoying their coffee? Hey, it's 9 am. You're in the dining room. You're eating.
The other guests just went outside. They waited until 9:30 to come in and sit down.
People who have showers and bang about in their rooms at 6.30am and then don't come down to breakfast until 9.15

Doesn't drive me crazy but makes them look" not so good". About 75% never read their Confirmation ,which tells them where the front door is(its drivewayside), that Bfast is "room service style" & they have to order each eve,. where to park (in back of BnB, not street). local events ( corner restaurant, walkable 1/4 block away, some have driven ) and some have no idea which room they ask for ?. When I go on a trip I print everything out and take with me......vacation/trip is valuable to me as money is but not everyone values money : (

I really really... really like the second one. Humor goes a long way. And can still make a point nicely.

I like the 2nd version too.
The one that drives DH nuts (as he looks after the courtesy trays) is people that use the cups or mugs, then put them back on the tray as if they've not been used. It's so easy to miss this and then the next guests find dirty cups..
YES!! That happened to us recently. Guest said, "There's a dirty cup out here." We rushed to grab it and looked at each other dumbfounded - how could that happen? Then the guests said that someone must have put coffee in it then poured it into another cup. I'm glad the guest said it so she didn't think we put it out there. WTH??

I like the 2nd version too.
The one that drives DH nuts (as he looks after the courtesy trays) is people that use the cups or mugs, then put them back on the tray as if they've not been used. It's so easy to miss this and then the next guests find dirty cups..
YES!! That happened to us recently. Guest said, "There's a dirty cup out here." We rushed to grab it and looked at each other dumbfounded - how could that happen? Then the guests said that someone must have put coffee in it then poured it into another cup. I'm glad the guest said it so she didn't think we put it out there. WTH??
I found a full cup off hot coffee hidden behind the tea kettle yesterday. I thought someone tucked it in there because they had to run back to their room. Nope. It sat there all thru breakfast. Finally dumped it out. No one claimed it.
It took effort to put it back there.

The guest who instead of listening to me say where the extra pillows are in their room (in a dresser drawer) or god forbid ASK for pillows, go into an unoccupied room and take them from a bed. My own daughter did this to me once. Now I have to hope I have pillowcases that will look OK with that sheet set (ironed pillowcases).

Guests who turn up saying that they couldn't find our location and they have asked everybody in town and nobody has heard of us. Hello, we are a small bed and breakfast set on the outskirts of quite a large town. When we send our confirmation emails we recommend they look on our website for directions to get to where they have reserved a bed for the night. I have people turn up with the confirmation email telling me they couldn't find our location.... READ THE EMAIL, IT HAS IMPORTANT INFORMATION IN IT (wait that should be in the other thread of things you would like to say to guests but can't) still love my job though and there is nothing they can do about that!

The guest who instead of listening to me say where the extra pillows are in their room (in a dresser drawer) or god forbid ASK for pillows, go into an unoccupied room and take them from a bed. My own daughter did this to me once. Now I have to hope I have pillowcases that will look OK with that sheet set (ironed pillowcases)..
I had guests go into other rooms to take a blanket. Meanwhile, the folded blanket is in the room.

Guests who turn up saying that they couldn't find our location and they have asked everybody in town and nobody has heard of us. Hello, we are a small bed and breakfast set on the outskirts of quite a large town. When we send our confirmation emails we recommend they look on our website for directions to get to where they have reserved a bed for the night. I have people turn up with the confirmation email telling me they couldn't find our location.... READ THE EMAIL, IT HAS IMPORTANT INFORMATION IN IT (wait that should be in the other thread of things you would like to say to guests but can't) still love my job though and there is nothing they can do about that!.
Same pain. We are in a rural area of Newfoundland and while it can be challenging to 'stumble' across us, our directions are very specific. I even give them the distance they should drive from one point to the next and you'd be surprised how many people only go half way and then call and ask if they've gone too far!

when 2 guests sit at a table set for 4, or when guests sit at a table that isn't set ...lol, kills me every time

when 2 guests sit at a table set for 4, or when guests sit at a table that isn't set ...lol, kills me every time.
How about when the table is set and they sit at the one place that does NOT have a setting. The man's girlfriend actually suggested he move to where the setting was. I never (unless having more than 6) have a setting at the "head" of the table. If we have toddlers, the high chair is at the "foot" of the table - with a place setting.

when 2 guests sit at a table set for 4, or when guests sit at a table that isn't set ...lol, kills me every time.
what's worse is when I have 4 clean tables all laid and they will sit on the one covered in dirty pots.

Getting a review that says there wasn't enough room to comfortably seat all the guests at once.
This guest was offered, by the other guests, a place for himself and his wife at a table for 4. he snubbed those guests and then complained there was no place for them to sit.
they ended up sitting alone in the dining room as they waited until everyone else left.

How about the guests who reach right past the FULL POT OF COFFEE to get to the k-cups and then cannot figure out how to use the Keurig. Oh, I say, there's a full pot of coffee right there. It says "COFFEE" on the front.

How about the guests who reach right past the FULL POT OF COFFEE to get to the k-cups and then cannot figure out how to use the Keurig. Oh, I say, there's a full pot of coffee right there. It says "COFFEE" on the front..
We put the keurig away during breakfast. We've had guests ask where's the coffee machine when 2 carafes of coffee are sitting right where the machine was the day before.
It's coffee brain. Or, lack of coffee brain.

How about the guests who reach right past the FULL POT OF COFFEE to get to the k-cups and then cannot figure out how to use the Keurig. Oh, I say, there's a full pot of coffee right there. It says "COFFEE" on the front..
We put the keurig away during breakfast. We've had guests ask where's the coffee machine when 2 carafes of coffee are sitting right where the machine was the day before.
Madeleine said:
People love the Keurig. I think we'd have a riot on our hands if we tried to hide it.

Madeleine said:
People love the Keurig. I think we'd have a riot on our hands if we tried to hide it.
Need an extra? We are getting rid of ours. No one wants to use it.... coffee is too weak for my guests. I have so many flavoured pods.... no one wants to use them.

Madeleine said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Madeleine said:
Sorry. Not spending 50 cents per cup of coffee and then hearing complaints that someone has to wait while the water heats or we don't fill the reservoir fast enough or we ran out of the flavor they wanted.
We say the line would be out the door in the morning if we tried to use the machine and then we tout the very good locally roasted coffee.
Hey. It works for us! But most people don't put the machine away and lots of places have the single serve in the guest rooms so no one has to budge in the morning. Get 'em up and out is my motto.

Madeleine said:
Need an extra? We are getting rid of ours. No one wants to use it.... coffee is too weak for my guests. I have so many flavoured pods.... no one wants to use them.
Jon Sable said:
We started with lots of flavors but now it's pretty much black silk, French roast and breakfast blend.

Back