Do You Need The Extra Bed?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Generic

Reaction score
Really, do I need to embarrass myself and you by asking when you are an adult and you can simply tell me ahead of time or ask me when you check in. No, instead you act like a child, don't tell me, sleep without clean sheets on a bed full of cushions that have had someone else's rump on them. All because you can't manage to politely say to me "Can you make the extra bed for us?"
I would gladly make the extra bed rather than have to wash all those cushions, the cover that so many people have laid their a$$ on and the sham pillow.
Or am I supposed to be John Edward and Theresa Caputo and divine, directly from your mind that you aren't a Gay couple, Lesbian couple or just friends? Really, I have to intrude on your personal lives and ask the question because you are a 12 year old that would giggle at questions like that?

I once asked two sisters, should I pull out the sofa bed? No, they planned to both sleep in the queen. I could have kissed them!
In the meantime, we always have clean sheets on the sofa bed. Just in case.

I once asked two sisters, should I pull out the sofa bed? No, they planned to both sleep in the queen. I could have kissed them!
In the meantime, we always have clean sheets on the sofa bed. Just in case..
Most of mine aren't made because they are to be used as seating at other times. And there are all kinds of pillows. But really is it that hard to ask me instead making it impromptu?

Yep, sofa bed gets changed and is always ready. Instructions about that and where the extra pillows are included in the the welcome letter left in the apartment.

Most of mine aren't made because they are to be used as seating at other times. And there are all kinds of pillows. But really is it that hard to ask me instead making it impromptu?
Agree. I'm surprised. I would expect a guest to say, "Is this a sofa bed?" OR - "We understood there would be two beds." Or some other way to start the conversation.

Yeah, but now I just ask if it is needed.
Technically, you are right, but people don't think down the road .. i.e. bed time ... and I'd rather do it at check in than at 9:30 when it occurs to them.

I think some of them are afraid to say something in case it will cost them more.
We have 2 of our 4 rooms that have a secondary bed/sofa combo. If there are only 2 people and they want to use those as beds, we don't charge more, but we're thinking maybe we should. Do any of you charge more when 2 'beds' are used by only 2 people?

I had guest that came because she wanted to go on a fishing trip for her 40th anniversary. They came and when I went out to the porch to greet them they looked puzzled. They came in and was telling me everything they thought we were. Anyway I took them up to their room and they seem to like it. ( you would have to be nuts not to!
wink_smile.gif
) Then it came up that the room had no sofa. I said it never did! They said they couldn't sleep here cause he has restless leg. They told me I should get a "cot or something" so he could use that or could he sleep on the sofa in the greatroom. I said nope sorry we have other guest and it wouldn't be fair to them. (I do have a twin bed that I could of and have put in the room for other guest.) I told them to go!!! LOL they weren't going to ruin my weekend!!! She told me to keep $50 of the deposit, I did. I feel this was in the best interest for both of us. I truly feel I dodge the bullet!!!

I think some of them are afraid to say something in case it will cost them more.
We have 2 of our 4 rooms that have a secondary bed/sofa combo. If there are only 2 people and they want to use those as beds, we don't charge more, but we're thinking maybe we should. Do any of you charge more when 2 'beds' are used by only 2 people?.
Breakfast Diva said:
We have 2 of our 4 rooms that have a secondary bed/sofa combo. If there are only 2 people and they want to use those as beds, we don't charge more, but we're thinking maybe we should. Do any of you charge more when 2 'beds' are used by only 2 people?
No I just tell them to leave LOL!!!
It depends, If I like you I don't.

Jon Sable said:
They may have decided at midnight when one was snoring or they had an argument or they just felt like it.
We used to set the second bed up as seating, with cushions and all, but quit that first year because, yes, it was a lot more work to wash the couch covers than it was to do the sheets.
Now the second bed is a bed at all times. Having it as a day bed just didn't work. Mostly it's a luggage rack.

Ha ha! Here's a similar one for you:
We had a family book all 4 rooms in the house. We checked them in, had a cot ready to go for the 'extra guest' in one of the rooms (a lone Uncle). Hubby and I went out to dinner and returned in the evening, walked in the living room to find the lone Uncle in his rather small underpants (!!) laying on the chaise/daybed in the living room with a sleeping bag he'd brought. I said, struggling mightily to maintain eye contact, "OH, hello! we have a cot set up for you in room ___, you know!" to which he replied, "yes, but I'd much rather sleep down here, much quieter without the rest of the family around". Oh great, so I guess our living room is your bedroom now.
Of course, this was one of our first groups of guests ever, so we were too green to know how to properly deal with these things. We went into the kitchen and whispered furiously between ourselves, finally resigning ourselves to the fact that "it's only 2 nights".
I still can't believe that he did that. Sleeping near-nude in a stranger's living room. Folks, you are booking the GUEST BEDROOMS. Sleeping all over the house is not permitted, and also really, really weird.

We have 2 of our 4 rooms that have a secondary bed/sofa combo. If there are only 2 people and they want to use those as beds, we don't charge more, but we're thinking maybe we should. Do any of you charge more when 2 'beds' are used by only 2 people?.
Breakfast Diva said:
The room is the same price, we don't charge more, but we always say, "aw, too bad they don't like each other," when 2 beds are used.
I think some book particularly to get the extra bed. But no one tells us.

We had a family book all 4 rooms in the house. We checked them in, had a cot ready to go for the 'extra guest' in one of the rooms (a lone Uncle). Hubby and I went out to dinner and returned in the evening, walked in the living room to find the lone Uncle in his rather small underpants (!!) laying on the chaise/daybed in the living room with a sleeping bag he'd brought. I said, struggling mightily to maintain eye contact, "OH, hello! we have a cot set up for you in room ___, you know!" to which he replied, "yes, but I'd much rather sleep down here, much quieter without the rest of the family around". Oh great, so I guess our living room is your bedroom now.
Of course, this was one of our first groups of guests ever, so we were too green to know how to properly deal with these things. We went into the kitchen and whispered furiously between ourselves, finally resigning ourselves to the fact that "it's only 2 nights".
I still can't believe that he did that. Sleeping near-nude in a stranger's living room. Folks, you are booking the GUEST BEDROOMS. Sleeping all over the house is not permitted, and also really, really weird..
scribbles said:
I still can't believe that he did that. Sleeping near-nude in a stranger's living room. Folks, you are booking the GUEST BEDROOMS. Sleeping all over the house is not permitted, and also really, really weird.
OMG! you really know how to make your guest feel at home!!!!! LOL Please email me I want to stay there. I promise I'll stay in my room.

I still can't believe that he did that. Sleeping near-nude in a stranger's living room. Folks, you are booking the GUEST BEDROOMS. Sleeping all over the house is not permitted, and also really, really weird..
hahahahhahahahahahaha cannot WAIT to tell DH!

Breakfast Diva said:
We charge for more than 2 to a room. Mostly to cover breakfast.

Jon Sable said:
They may have decided at midnight when one was snoring or they had an argument or they just felt like it.
We used to set the second bed up as seating, with cushions and all, but quit that first year because, yes, it was a lot more work to wash the couch covers than it was to do the sheets.
Now the second bed is a bed at all times. Having it as a day bed just didn't work. Mostly it's a luggage rack.
One really looks like couch unless it's set up. Another can be a single of king depending, so it's never set up.
We've actually been talking about cutting down on extra beds altogether.

Breakfast Diva said:
I'm not talking about more than 2 in a room. It's when it's 2 people and they choose to use the extra 'bed' which is not made up.

Breakfast Diva said:
I'm not talking about more than 2 in a room. It's when it's 2 people and they choose to use the extra 'bed' which is not made up.
Breakfast Diva said:
I know, that's exactly what I meant. If there are only two people, we don't charge extra, no matter how many beds they use.

I've been thinking that I should charge 1c if you choose the option online and $10 if you do it in person. Wonder how many will choose the option when reserving.

Jon Sable said:
One really looks like couch unless it's set up. Another can be a single of king depending, so it's never set up.
Jon Sable said:
We started with 4 rooms with a second bed, we're down to 2. I hate making that second bed. Plus, it invited more families to try to cram 5 into a room. Or to put little kids throughout the house.

Back